Is there any way to use Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP) in Windows 7 x64?

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by tasdk, Jul 9, 2009.

  1. tasdk

    tasdk Guest

    I recently installed Windows 7 RC x64. Since I also upgraded to 4 GB of RAM,
    I installed the 64-bit version.

    It seems there is no way to get A2DP working with my laptop's internal
    Bluetooth device (BCM2045B) in Windows 7 RC x64. It worked perfectly in the
    x86 version of Windows 7 Beta, without even installing any third-party
    drivers, which was a pleasant shock. It was the first time I've ever had a
    good experience with Bluetooth and especially A2DP on Windows.

    Unfortunately, the A2DP drivers in the beta were removed from the RC, so now
    it is back to the bad old days of struggling to get it to work, just like
    Vista.

    I have downloaded the latest drivers from my hardware vendor, but these
    drivers do not support A2DP. I have also tried the Broadcom drivers
    recommended by Windows as a 'solution', but they do not provide A2DP support
    either.

    My questions are:

    1. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with the
    BCM2045B adapter?

    2. Is there a way to get A2DP working on Windows 7 RC x64, with ANY
    Bluetooth adapter?

    The only partial solution I have found is a buggy Bluetooth stack called
    Bluesoleil. It works most of the time, but I often have to stop and restart
    the Bluetooth device, and have also experienced one OS failure (the system
    became unresponsive even to Ctrl+Alt+Del) since I installed Bluesoleil. For
    various reasons, I suspect it was the cause.

    It's easy to get A2DP working under Linux on the same machine, but Linux is
    really an inferior good compared Windows, so I consider it a last resort.

    I don't understand why A2DP is such a problem on Windows, especially since
    it seemed to work in the Windows 7 beta, and apparently works in Windows
    Mobile. If the drivers from the beta were removed to improve stability, I
    think this was a mistake. Forcing users to install unstable third-party
    Bluetooth software will certainly not improve the reputation of Windows.

    Thanks for any help.

    -tasdk

    tasdk, Jul 9, 2009

  2. Re: Is there any way to use Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP) in Windows7 x64?

    It seems the A2DP may have some suggestions. http://www.a2dp.info/Articles/

    Have you tried any of their solutions? I have had to use Vista drivers
    for some of my hardware. I run the install in the Administrator mode
    and select either 'Previous version' or 'Vista (x64) SP2' compatibility.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2009

  3. tasdk

    tasdk Guest

    Thanks for the suggestion. Have you used it successfully on Windows 7 RC
    x64? I had it working on RC x86, but upgraded my RAM, so am now using RX
    x64.

    I have tried the Broadcom stack for Vista, as suggested on a2dp.info, and
    the drivers install properly. However, "Bluetooth Stereo Audio" is missing
    on x64.

    A funny thing is that I can install the Broadcom Bluetooth stack in the XP
    Mode virtual machine, and if I disable the integration features, it plays
    audio fine. If I could redirect audio from the host to the VM, and enable
    all the integration features except audio, it would be a decent solution.
    The main drawback is that other Bluetooth devices can only connect to XP
    mode, but I don't use many others anyway.

    -tasdk

    tasdk, Jul 9, 2009
  4. Re: Is there any way to use Bluetooth stereo audio (A2DP) in Windows7 x64?

    Currently the only Bluetooth I use is a mouse and a Bluetooth cell phone
    headset but I have not encountered any problems with either one. I use
    a small generic USB Bluetooth dongle and the drivers are installed by
    Windows 7 automatically. I have both Win 7 x64 and Win 7 x86 with
    Bluetooth.

    Bobby Johnson, Jul 9, 2009