    learn more at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"

    Ham Radio Repeater Database.
    http://hrrdb.com
    Chris W, Mar 14, 2008

  2. Chris W

    Doug Jewell Guest

    Chris W wrote:
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?

    Long Exposure - although film has reciprocity issues, it
    doesn't suffer from noise in long exposures. Digital noise
    can be reduced with dark-frame subtraction, but that doubles
    your exposure time, so reduces the number of shots you can
    get in a session.

    Ultra Wide Angle (If you already have a sub 20mm lens, and
    you don't do a lot of ultrawide angle, scanning 35mm frames
    is a lot cheaper than buying an ultrawide lens for DX
    format, or buying a full-frame DSLR - my Film camera pretty
    much has an 18mm lens on it full-time now)

    Art - I love the super-grainy look that Kodak 3200 B&W gives.

    Some subjects are also rendered nicer IMO on film - for
    example Velvia gives remarkable saturation, but still
    manages to capture subtle tone differences. Things like
    sunsets, flowers, machinery, IMO benefit from the Velvia
    treatment. Also, personally, I prefer the way B&W films
    render images vs digital B&W.

    I still shoot film, but a lot less than I used to.
    Doug Jewell, Mar 14, 2008

  3. Chris W

    Shawn Hirn Guest

    In article <FpnCj.32766$>,
    Chris W <> wrote:

    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?

    Sell it on eBay.
    Shawn Hirn, Mar 14, 2008
  4. Chris W

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:03:00 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:

    > In article <FpnCj.32766$>,
    > Chris W <> wrote:
    >
    >> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    >> do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    >> use film over digital?

    > Sell it on eBay.

    If there is no longer any use for it, who would buy it?
    ray, Mar 14, 2008
  5. Chris W

    ray Guest

    On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:

    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?

    Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.
    ray, Mar 14, 2008
  6. Chris W

    Tom D Guest

    "Chris W" <> wrote in message
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I do
    > with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to use
    > film over digital?

    I last used my Canon Elan back in 2002, which was the last time that I shot
    film. I think it comes down to whether you think the money in your wallet
    will look better than the camera on your shelf. If you think you might want
    to shoot film for a certain effect, or for the sake of nostalgia, then hang
    onto the camera. I bought some film recently to shoot in some antique
    cameras. Might run a roll through the Elan as well. Especially sine I have
    a pinhole body cap on order that will fit the Elan, in addition to my 40D.

    -=- Tom
    Tom D, Mar 14, 2008
  7. Chris W

    Harry Poster Guest

    On 14 Mar 2008 16:30:36 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    >
    >> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    >> do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    >> use film over digital?

    >Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    Wow. What a revelation.

    I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.

    And... IT'S means IT IS.

    .... has it is advantages?
    Harry Poster, Mar 14, 2008
  8. Chris W

    Gary Edstrom Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:11:07 GMT, Harry Poster <> wrote:

    >On 14 Mar 2008 16:30:36 GMT, ray <> wrote:
    >>
    >>Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    >And... IT'S means IT IS.

    Look out! It's the grammar police!
    Gary Edstrom, Mar 14, 2008
  9. Chris W

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:11:07 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

    > On 14 Mar 2008 16:30:36 GMT, ray <> wrote:
    >
    >>On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do
    >>> I do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy
    >>> to use film over digital?

    >>Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    > Wow. What a revelation.
    >
    > I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.
    >
    > And... IT'S means IT IS.
    >
    > ... has it is advantages?

    Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?
    ray, Mar 14, 2008
  10. Chris W

    Dave Busch Guest

    On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

    Well, I prefer the term "pedantic," but, then, I'm anal retentive.

    Dave
    -------------------------------------
    Everything I know, and then some:
    http://www.auctionmyths.com
    Dave Busch, Mar 14, 2008
  11. Chris W

    Chris W Guest

    ray wrote:
    > On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    >
    >> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    >> do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    >> use film over digital?

    > Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    Thanks for that comprehensive discourse on the subject. What more could
    be said?

    --
    Chris W
    KE5GIX

    "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,

    Chris W, Mar 14, 2008
  12. Chris W

    Harry Poster Guest

    On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 20:11:07 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

    >>>Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    >> Wow. What a revelation.
    >>
    >> I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.
    >>
    >> And... IT'S means IT IS.
    >>
    >> ... has it is advantages?

    >Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

    How about "illiterate"?
    Harry Poster, Mar 14, 2008
  13. Chris W

    Spamm Trappe Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:12:23 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    > ray wrote:
    >> On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 23:45:32 -0500, Chris W wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    >>> do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    >>> use film over digital?

    >> Yes. Each medium has it's advantages.

    > Thanks for that comprehensive discourse on the subject.
    > What more could be said?

    s/could/should/
    What more indeed -- since this is a digital photo ng.
    Spamm Trappe, Mar 14, 2008
  14. Chris W

    Rob Guest

    "ray" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 07:03:00 -0400, Shawn Hirn wrote:
    >
    >> In article <FpnCj.32766$>,
    >> Chris W <> wrote:
    >>
    >>> Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    >>> do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    >>> use film over digital?

    >> Sell it on eBay.

    > If there is no longer any use for it, who would buy it?

    There may still be a demand for students -- although they may not need or
    want to pay a lot. My kids do photography at school, no digital, manual SLR,
    black and white only, all processed in the school darkroom. Pretty much the
    way I started, so for me there's no question of relevence -- they learn to
    wrestle with light the same way we all did. In their second year (I'm
    talking 17 year-olds here) they get into digital through scanning their
    prints, and their final portfolio can include as much digital manipulation
    as they want, although by then they have a good grounding in composition and
    technique. The results are amazing.
    Rob, Mar 15, 2008
  15. Chris W

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:01:31 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

    > On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >>> Wow. What a revelation.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.
    >>>
    >>> And... IT'S means IT IS.
    >>>
    >>> ... has it is advantages?

    >>Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

    > How about "illiterate"?

    I don't know; are you?
    ray, Mar 15, 2008
  16. Chris W

    rwalker Guest

    "Chris W" <> wrote in message
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I do
    > with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to use
    > film over digital?

    It really depends on what you want to do. I shoot mostly digital. But just
    today I got a roll of 110 film developed that I shot in my Pentax Auto 110
    SLR. It's great fun to try and get something useful out of that tiny
    negative, but the little Pentax SLR is a great camera to try and so with. I
    also enjoy shooting medium format. I just don't (or rarely) shoot 35 mm.
    any more.
    rwalker, Mar 15, 2008
  17. On Mar 13, 11:45 pm, Chris W <> wrote:
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?
    >
    > --
    > Chris W
    > KE5GIX
    >
    > "Protect your digital freedom and privacy, eliminate DRM,
    > learn more athttp://www.defectivebydesign.org/what_is_drm"
    >
    > Ham Radio Repeater Database.http://hrrdb.com

    We just hauled out all of our old cameras to decide what to do with
    older ones. Some are classics- collector's items so we will save
    those just as collectables.

    The only film camera I actually intend to use is an old Kodak Stereo
    camera. I have a negative scanner attachment for my scanner, so can
    scan the developed film and set up the cards on the computer. The
    alternative if I want to take 3D pics again is to buy two cheaper
    digitals and mount them side-by-side with some sort of a gadget to
    depress both shutters simultaneously.
    Don Stauffer in Minnesota, Mar 15, 2008
  18. Chris W

    Paul Furman Guest

    Chris W wrote:
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s? Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?

    Sure, but you'll probably want a scanner for it :)
    Paul Furman, Mar 15, 2008
  19. Chris W

    ray Guest

    On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:01:31 +0000, Harry Poster wrote:

    > On 14 Mar 2008 20:35:09 GMT, ray <> wrote:

    >>> Wow. What a revelation.
    >>>
    >>> I'll be sure to read your future posts for more gems like this.
    >>>
    >>> And... IT'S means IT IS.
    >>>
    >>> ... has it is advantages?

    >>Very well, does the term 'anal retentive' ring a bell?

    > How about "illiterate"?

    Awl rat - yah hav cotched me - ar yew hapi nau.
    ray, Mar 15, 2008
  20. Chris W

    Dave W Guest

    On 14 Mar, 04:45, Chris W <> wrote:
    > Since I will soon have the D300 in hand, the question becomes what do I
    > do with my Nikon N90s?  Is there any application where it is handy to
    > use film over digital?

    For taking slides to show to an audience. Digital projectors, and the
    PCs to go with them, are not cheap enough yet for occasional use. TV
    screens are not big enough.

    Dave W
    Dave W, Mar 15, 2008