is there any point upgrading my box?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by ODB, Jun 3, 2007.

  1. ODB

    ODB Guest

    Hi all,

    I've had a few annoying issues with my pc recently - looks like I've fixed
    it (for now?) down to a dusty ram chip.

    Anyway...its got me thinking about upgrading, because if this is indeed
    fixed, I can offload it to pops who'll be really happy to upgrade his p3-500
    !

    Only the box, as my screen and keyboard/speaker setup is fine.
    I've got:

    AMD 2800+
    512mb ram (400ddr)
    200gig HD + 80 gig
    leadtek 256mg video
    All about 3 -4years old.
    running xp.

    was thinking of upgrading to :

    intel core 2 duo e6300
    new board
    2 gig ram
    320gig hd
    256 meg 8600gts card
    etc

    I play a bit of flight simulator and generally surf/music etc but would love
    a speedier machine.

    For the $1000 odd (aussie) dollars is this a worthwhile upgrade or am I
    better of spending another $90 for a gig of ram, doing a rebuild and being
    very happy?

    thanks for replies

    ODB, Jun 3, 2007

  2. ODB wrote:
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I've had a few annoying issues with my pc recently - looks like I've fixed
    > it (for now?) down to a dusty ram chip.
    >
    > Anyway...its got me thinking about upgrading, because if this is indeed
    > fixed, I can offload it to pops who'll be really happy to upgrade his p3-500
    > !
    >
    > Only the box, as my screen and keyboard/speaker setup is fine.
    > I've got:
    >
    > AMD 2800+
    > 512mb ram (400ddr)
    > 200gig HD + 80 gig
    > leadtek 256mg video
    > All about 3 -4years old.
    > running xp.
    >
    > was thinking of upgrading to :
    >
    > intel core 2 duo e6300
    > new board
    > 2 gig ram
    > 320gig hd
    > 256 meg 8600gts card
    > etc
    >

    > I play a bit of flight simulator and generally surf/music etc but would love
    > a speedier machine.
    >
    > For the $1000 odd (aussie) dollars is this a worthwhile upgrade or am I
    > better of spending another $90 for a gig of ram, doing a rebuild and being
    > very happy?

    If it were my $1,000 it wouldn't be worth it. But since you'd love a
    speedier machine, it sounds like you're wanting someone to give you
    permission. Okay, go ahead and do it.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jun 3, 2007

  3. ODB

    ODB Guest

    put it into the mortgage!

    I think the first poster was right...it works, for now!
    flight sim 10 would be nice though...ill stick to fs9 I think.

    "Frosty" <> wrote in message
    > On Sun, 03 Jun 2007 02:04:02 -0400 in 24hoursupport.helpdesk ODB,
    > intended to write something intelligible, but instead wrote :
    >
    >>ODB wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>>
    >>> I've had a few annoying issues with my pc recently - looks like I've
    >>> fixed
    >>> it (for now?) down to a dusty ram chip.
    >>>
    >>> Anyway...its got me thinking about upgrading, because if this is indeed
    >>> fixed, I can offload it to pops who'll be really happy to upgrade his
    >>> p3-500
    >>> !
    >>>
    >>> Only the box, as my screen and keyboard/speaker setup is fine.
    >>> I've got:
    >>>
    >>> AMD 2800+
    >>> 512mb ram (400ddr)
    >>> 200gig HD + 80 gig
    >>> leadtek 256mg video
    >>> All about 3 -4years old.
    >>> running xp.
    >>>
    >>> was thinking of upgrading to :
    >>>
    >>> intel core 2 duo e6300
    >>> new board
    >>> 2 gig ram
    >>> 320gig hd
    >>> 256 meg 8600gts card

    ODB, Jun 3, 2007
  4. ODB

    Frosty Guest

    Frosty, Jun 3, 2007
  5. ODB

    elaich Guest

    "ODB" <> wrote in news:fns8i.8038$wH4.3125@news-
    server.bigpond.net.au:

    > AMD 2800+
    > 512mb ram (400ddr)
    > 200gig HD + 80 gig
    > leadtek 256mg video
    > All about 3 -4years old.
    > running xp.

    Hell, the box you want to upgrade is way better than mine, except that I do
    have more RAM.

    --
    A: Because it disturbs the logical flow of the message.
    Q: Why is top posting frowned upon?