    Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    Regards.

    , Sep 24, 2005

  2. Ray Fischer Guest

    <> wrote:
    >Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them from
    the camera.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Sep 24, 2005

  3. Ray Fischer <> spewed:
    > <> wrote:
    >> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
    > from the camera.

    Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)

    (I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
    them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)

    But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
    vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
    someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
    whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
    some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
    just view or download your images at will. Downloading the images to your
    PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are times when you don't
    have immediate access to your PC and you would like to protect those images
    until you are able to transfer them.

    --
    Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Robert J Batina, Sep 24, 2005
  4. On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, wrote:

    >Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

    "When they poured across the border,
    I was cautioned to surrender.
    This I could not do
    I took my gun and vanished."

    "The Partisan"
    Emmanuel D'Astier de la Vigerie
    and Anna Marly 1943

    John A. Stovall, Sep 24, 2005
  5. Charlie Self Guest

    Robert J Batina wrote:
    > Ray Fischer <> spewed:
    > > <> wrote:
    > >> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    > >> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    > >> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > > Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
    > > from the camera.

    > Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)
    >
    > (I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
    > them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)
    >
    > But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
    > vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
    > someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
    > whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
    > some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
    > just view or download your images at will. Downloading the images to your
    > PC and protecting them there is obvious - but there are times when you don't
    > have immediate access to your PC and you would like to protect those images
    > until you are able to transfer them.

    Put the CF card in your pocket.

    Charlie Self, Sep 24, 2005
  6. Ray Fischer Guest

    Robert J Batina <> wrote:

    >Ray Fischer <> spewed:
    >> <> wrote:
    >>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    >> Copy the photos to the computer and encrypt them, then erase them
    >> from the camera.

    >Thank you Mr Obvious. ;-)
    >
    >(I mean, of course that's what people do - transfer the photos then erase
    >them from the camera - but your reply doesn't answer the OPs question.)

    Shrug. Sometimes people don't notice the obvious.

    >But seriously, I've thought about that feature as well. I mean, you go on
    >vacation, take a bunch of personal pictures throughout the trip, and then
    >someone rips off your camera and has all your personal photos to do with
    >whatever they would like. It'd be nice if there was a camera that offered
    >some sort of built-in encryption or password protection so someone couldn't
    >just view or download your images at will.

    I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
    that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
    encrypt the photos, though.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Sep 24, 2005
  7. On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A Stovall <> wrote:
    > On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

    Morse code on the shutter release?

    -dms

    Daniel Silevitch, Sep 24, 2005
  8. Jeremy Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    > camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    > Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    Yes. My Ricoh RDC-5300 has a provision to password-protect the images on
    the card so only authorized users could access them. I never could figure
    out what good that feature was.

    http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RDC5300_CameraDetails_pg1.html

    Jeremy, Sep 25, 2005
  9. Ken Weitzel Guest

    Jeremy wrote:

    > <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.
    >>

    > Yes. My Ricoh RDC-5300 has a provision to password-protect the images on
    > the card so only authorized users could access them. I never could figure
    > out what good that feature was.
    >
    > http://www.ricohzone.com/Product_RDC5300_CameraDetails_pg1.html

    Hi...

    And if you ever do find a worthwhile use for it, it'll take mere seconds
    for the hackers/cheaters/whatever people to create an "un-doer" for it.

    It will be just like a cheap lock. Keeps honest people out.

    Ken

    Ken Weitzel, Sep 25, 2005
  10. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

    >>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > And how would you enter the password without a keyboard
    > on the camera?

    The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  11. ASAAR Guest

    On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:55:56 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

    > I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
    > that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
    > encrypt the photos, though.

    It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
    taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
    encryption until the camera is idle.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  12. Jer Guest

    John A. Stovall wrote:
    > On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, wrote:
    >

    >>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the camera?

    Just a thought... select a menu option that displays a qwerty-like
    diagram on the LCD, use the joystick to scroll across the "keyboard",
    pressing half-shutter to select each character in the correct sequence,
    and when the sequence is complete, full shutter press and hold to toggle
    the encryption of the entire card image by image. 1-5 failed attempts
    (programmable) to decrypt a card's file system results in a DES-3 wipe
    pattern (S/N of the chassis = public key + owner's password = private
    key) instantly applied to every file sector across the card volume
    including the FAT. I call it the Corbomite Maneuver, and every sector
    contains gibberish.

    --
    jer
    email reply - I am not a 'ten'

    Jer, Sep 25, 2005
  13. Ray Fischer Guest

    ASAAR <> wrote:
    >On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:55:56 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:
    >
    >> I doubt that camera makers want to deal with the support headaches
    >> that such a feature would entail. Could be nifty to have the camera
    >> encrypt the photos, though.

    > It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
    >taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
    >encryption until the camera is idle.

    I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
    just throwing more CPU power at it. :)

    But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
    shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
    seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.

    --
    Ray Fischer

    Ray Fischer, Sep 25, 2005
  14. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 04:31:49 GMT, Ray Fischer wrote:

    >> It so, you might want a menu option to disable encryption when
    >> taking rapid sequences of photos. Or at least postpone the
    >> encryption until the camera is idle.

    > I work in the computer biz. That kind of problem is easily solved by
    > just throwing more CPU power at it. :)

    That'll work, but I won't buy any camera that gets as hot as my
    laptop. <g>

    > But if cameras can do fast JPEG compression a simple encryption
    > shouldn't be any problem. Won't be up to DOD standards but would
    > seriously inconvenience anybody who forgot their password.

    That's why I mentioned encrypting while idle. It's somewhat like
    the way Windows can defragment or compress hard drives when the
    system isn't in use. That would allow slower, more secure
    encryption to be used without slowing the operation of the camera.
    As far as passwords go, I just realized that neither a keyboard or
    microphone is needed. The camera does have a lens, after all, and a
    high resolution sensor. It could be designed to compare
    fingerprints with several stored in the camera's internal memory
    (not on the flash card). Unlike some vehicles, I wouldn't want to
    see a camera employ a breathalyzer test before operating. <g>

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005
  15. On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:59:48 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:

    >On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 21:23:36 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:
    >
    >>>Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>>camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>>Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    >> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard
    >> on the camera?

    > The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    >to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  16. John A. Stovall <> spewed:
    > On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, wrote:
    >
    >> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    > And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the
    > camera?

    Most cameras have very elaborate menu systems now... it wouldn't be hard to
    include a password entry screen with a scrollable selection of alphanumeric
    characters.

    --
    Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Robert J Batina, Sep 25, 2005
  17. John A. Stovall <> spewed:
    > On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:59:48 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >> The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    >> to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    > If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

    If you haven't noticed, most wireless phones will also let you access most
    of their functions via voice commands, like caught stated in his post. You
    like thread-crapping, don't you. The OP asked a simple question, you don't
    appear to have the answer - so instead you pester the people that reply?
    Nice. :p

    --
    Visit My Site: http://www.rubbertoe.com

    Robert J Batina, Sep 25, 2005
  18. On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:46:56 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
    <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall <> spewed:
    >> On Sat, 24 Sep 2005 20:59:48 -0400, ASAAR <> wrote:
    >>> The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    >>> to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    >> If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

    >If you haven't noticed, most wireless phones will also let you access most
    >of their functions via voice commands, like caught stated in his post. You
    >like thread-crapping, don't you. The OP asked a simple question, you don't
    >appear to have the answer - so instead you pester the people that reply?
    >Nice. :p

    Once you've loaded the numbers in either via key pad or computer link.
    You can then set up a voice link..

    I replied because you gave a lame answer and you are still giving lame
    answers.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  19. On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:44:49 GMT, "Robert J Batina"
    <> wrote:

    >John A. Stovall <> spewed:
    >> On 24 Sep 2005 07:50:45 -0700, wrote:
    >>
    >>> Is there any password protected camera, so that people cant open my
    >>> camera and view my photos? I mean that I will password protect the
    >>> Review Photos option on the camera. Thanks for letting me know.

    >> And how would you enter the password without a keyboard on the
    >> camera?

    >Most cameras have very elaborate menu systems now... it wouldn't be hard to
    >include a password entry screen with a scrollable selection of alphanumeric
    >characters.

    A slicker system would be a biometric one like the fingerprint
    protection system found on iPacs, if you want to crap up a camera with
    more useless functions.

    John A. Stovall, Sep 25, 2005
  20. ASAAR Guest

    On Sun, 25 Sep 2005 13:26:29 GMT, John A. Stovall wrote:

    >> The same way some cell phones do it. By allowing voice commands
    >> to be a substitute for the keyboard.

    > If you haven't noticed your cell phone has a keypad.

    Oh my, what have we here but another of your usual smug responses
    that completely misses the point. Of course cell phones have
    keypads. But some also have voice control. Many cameras also have
    microphones, but not too many have keypads. If cameras ever employ
    keypads they're more likely to be "soft" keypads on touch screen
    displays than the space robbing "hard" variety.

    ASAAR, Sep 25, 2005