    am not aware of?

    Thanks
    Lizzieb
    lizzieb, Feb 28, 2007

  2. lizzieb

    Glenn Guest

    Install 98 first, then XP. It will automatically set up dual boot.

    Glenn, Mar 1, 2007

  3. lizzieb

    John Dearing Guest

    lizzieb wrote:
    > Hi

    -=[ snippage for brevity]=-

    > So my question is this - if I build a new system for him would there be any
    > reason that I couldn't make it dual boot. Is there any limitations that I
    > am not aware of?

    In addition to the other comments, stay away from SATA drives. Win98 and
    98SE don't have built-in drivers for SATA and there isn't any easy way
    I'm aware of to provide one, short of making some kind of custom boot
    floppy with a SATA driver on it (if you can find a DOS mode driver).

    Other than that, Install 98SE first in it's own FAT32 partition and then
    put XP in a separate partition.

    You may also want to have a 3rd FAT32 partition that can be read from
    *either* O/S in case your customer needs to move data back and forth
    between O/S's.

    John
    John Dearing, Mar 1, 2007
  4. lizzieb

    RL Anderson Guest

    lizzieb wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I have a customer who would like a new system built for him but would like
    > it to have dual boot of Win98 and WinXP. He has told me that he tried to do
    > this himself on one of his machines but got a message about the clock speed
    > being too fast. He was a bit vague and couldn't give me any more
    > information but he failed to get the system working.
    >
    > So my question is this - if I build a new system for him would there be any
    > reason that I couldn't make it dual boot. Is there any limitations that I
    > am not aware of?
    >
    > Thanks
    > Lizzieb

    Hi Folks,

    Have you ever thought of installing XP as a host OS, installing MS
    Virtual PC (VPC) 2007 (a freebie) and installing Win 98 as a guest OS?
    I've played a bit with VPC 2004 SP1 and its not too bad. It's a big
    download, unfortunately. Give the following link a check.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/winfamily/virtualpc/default.mspx

    It might solve the speed problem in Win 98.

    Enjoy

    Rick
    RL Anderson, Mar 2, 2007
  5. lizzieb

    RL Anderson Guest

    Barry Watzman wrote:

    > One problem with that is that Virtual PC does not handle most USB devices.

    [Snip]

    Hi Barry,

    No argument about that. You could give VMWare or Parallels a spin ($$$).
    Just my $0.25 on that one.

    If Win 98 is having a problem with "fast" CPUs, I thought I heard of
    some kind of app (sorry my memory is bad) that would permit one to
    "downshift" CPU speed. Though that was a loong time back.

    Rick
    RL Anderson, Mar 2, 2007