    this thoroughly.

    Is there some 3rd party stuff that I can use for this?

    , May 12, 2006

  2. Guest

    Thanks for your reply. The laptops do have a switch that I enabled in
    BIOS but I want to remove the human element as much as possible. We
    have over 100 laptops and I know someone will be bound to skip a step
    when logging in.

    I did create hardware profiles for each scenario, which did do the
    trick, but a user can forget to select the correct profile at this and
    choose to leave the antenna on. Does anyone have experience with a
    batch file that can take care of this?

    Bryon

    , May 12, 2006

  3. Pavel A. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Here's the story:
    >
    > I want my users's Wireless cards to be disabled when the Network cable
    > is plugged into the on board NIC on our LAN (for security purposes).

    Many laptops have a little switch that turns wireless off.
    Can you tell your users use this switch when they connect to LAN?
    AFAIK the automatic switching did not function satisfactory for some
    reasons and thus the utility has been discontinued.

    --PA

    Pavel A., May 12, 2006
  4. Pavel A. Guest

    <> wrote in message news:...
    > Thanks for your reply. The laptops do have a switch that I enabled in
    > BIOS but I want to remove the human element as much as possible. We
    > have over 100 laptops and I know someone will be bound to skip a step
    > when logging in.
    >
    > I did create hardware profiles for each scenario, which did do the
    > trick, but a user can forget to select the correct profile at this and
    > choose to leave the antenna on. Does anyone have experience with a
    > batch file that can take care of this?
    >
    > Bryon

    You can roll your own little utility, based on what you actually want:
    to keep wireless off whenever LAN is connected (but users must turn wireless on manually)
    or make wireless status more visible to users.
    Most modern laptops have a clearly visible wireless indicator.
    If this is not enough, there are 3rd party utilities, like the latest Google desktop widget.

    Regards,
    --PA

    Pavel A., May 12, 2006