    Now question is there an up grade path to vista 64?, anything to watch out
    for?

    I do have the required hardware drivers for Vista 64 and Vista 32

    GS, Dec 15, 2008

  2. You have to do a clean install.
    There is no upgrade path from a 32-bit Windows to a 64-bit Windoiws.

    --
    Asus P5WDG2 WS Pro
    Coreâ„¢ 2 Extreme X6800

    Maratonmannen, Dec 15, 2008

  3. GS

    John Barnes Guest

    You can use an upgrade version to go from XP to Vista64, but you must do a
    clean install. The path is to gather all the drivers (you have done), a
    list of all the programs you want to install, then gather the cd's and/or
    downloads (checking for versions that are compatible with Vista64), then
    either saving off all the data files, etc. that you want on Vista, or use
    the Transfer Wizard (never worked for me). I suggest you have a complete
    backup of your current system as you will probably remember something you
    forgot as soon as you delete, create and format for the Vista64 install.

    John Barnes, Dec 15, 2008
  4. GS

    Carlos Guest

    Hi,
    I used to think the same but a few minutes ago I found this unsupported
    workaround
    http://www.xyhd.tv/2008/12/how-to/c...grade-from-32-bit-windows-xp-to-vista-64-bit/
    A little cumbersome, takes around 4 hours, but the author claims that it
    works.
    I'd rather go for a fresh install but if someone is interested in reading,
    there you have the link.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 15, 2008
  5. There is no upgrade path from any 32-bit version of Windows to any 64-bit
    version of Windows. Full stop.

    You must always do a clean install. You can, however, use Windows Easy
    Transfer (on the Vista DVD) to capture your existing settings and restore
    them when you have finished installing Vista 64. It actually works pretty
    well. Doesn't solve the installed programs issue - you'll still need to
    re-install your applications. But it does an excellent job of saving
    settings and restoring them, IME.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/blogs/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 15, 2008
  6. NOT going there. Even if you get to some endpoint that appears to work, I'd
    never, ever trust it.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 15, 2008
  7. GS

    Carlos Guest

    Charlie,
    One of the items that has helped me a LOT during fresh installs - which I
    like better that upgrades and/or alchemist notes - is to have a printed copy
    of all the steps I need to execute in order to have the OS and apps just as I
    like them.
    I have an updated long (printed) list of programs to install, its particular
    settings, sequence, registry settings to tweak, options to modify, drivers to
    install, ports to enable, page size to enable, international settings, you
    name it.
    I use this long list as a checklist in order to ensure that everything is in
    place and nothing is missing.
    If my wife is out of home I can have everything up and running in 4 hours.
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 15, 2008
  8. Excellent process, Carlos. We call this "standardized work", and it's the
    absolute prerequisite to making the process easier and simpler. I spent many
    years working for Toyota, and then many more drilling this into my techs in
    startups so they would be able to recover quickly in case of a disaster.

    Charlie Russel-MVP, Dec 15, 2008
  9. GS

    Carlos Guest

    Toyota, they surely know about procedures, discipline and productivity.
    We were in the way of becoming a Toyota supplier for electronic subassys for
    their cars and then this worldwide issue with the automotive industry
    started!.
    Now we are back to square one.
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 15, 2008
  10. GS

    Zootal Guest

    That is not an upgrade. Notice Step Four: Clean Install Vista 64.

    All this does is make it easier to transfer files and settings after you do
    a CLEAN INSTALL of Vista 64.

    Zootal, Dec 15, 2008
  11. Ouch. I spent 10 years working for NUMMI, the Toyota / GM joint venture in
    California. Our management was all Toyota, and I learned a LOT from them. By
    the time I left, I was an IT Manager myself, but I started out as a simple
    electrician. We were allowed to do some truely innovative computer-related
    things there, and I got to be involved in a lot of them. But I learned early
    on to _live_ Kaizen ("small, continuous improvement" is the closest
    translation I know.) We would take a process, standardize it, understand it,
    and then make small improvements in the process. If that improvement worked,
    it became the new standard and we did the same all over again.

    I remember one IT guy who used to claim you couldn't standardize IT work.
    Horsepucky. We did a LOT of it, and we kept doing it better and better.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 15, 2008
  12. thx,

    I don't mind re-installing applications, although I suspect I will have to
    do some tweaking for a couple applications to make them run in vista64.

    in the problem I have fresh install is that I will have to change data's
    ACLs manually unless I can use an utility to drive the process from cacls
    list or some how import the security credential to appropriate IDs

    msnews.microsoft.com, Dec 16, 2008
  13. If you use Windows Easy Transfer (WET), it should take care of most of that
    for you.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Dec 16, 2008
  14. GS

    Tom Lake Guest

    > I use this long list as a checklist in order to ensure that everything is in
    > place and nothing is missing.
    > If my wife is out of home I can have everything up and running in 4 hours.
    > :)
    > Carlos

    And if she's there....? :^)

    Tom Lake

    Tom Lake, Dec 16, 2008
  15. GS

    Carlos Guest

    I just reschedule the fresh install for another moment, there is no way that
    I can stay sitting in front of my PC without an apocalyptic event happening
    simultaneously requiring my immediate attention (i.e.: wife needing help for
    some minor issue)
    :)
    Carlos

    Carlos, Dec 16, 2008
  16. unfortunately migwiz has a mind of its own when comes to where to place
    data. and screws up with authentication and finally losing the transfer a
    day later.. it also messes up the start menu

    Ended up doing manual data transfer

    msnews.microsoft.com, Jan 9, 2009
  17. I'm not seeing any serious problems with it. Oh, yeah, it doesn't respect my
    moving Documents to my E: drive, but that's trivial to fix after the fact.
    And the savings of reconfiguration is substantial. (I've gotten to where I
    deselect the stuff I have stuck over on separate partitions, and repoint to
    them after then install.)

    Windows 7 version of WET, btw, has a new reporting feature that is really
    useful.

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jan 9, 2009
  18. GS

    MGJ Guest

    OK, my problem is related; I have the OEM 64 bit Vista DVD only, and the
    version of FAST on it is 64 bit only, so won't run on my XP 32 bit system.
    What is the easiest way to get round this? Borrow someone else's Vista DVD?

    MGJ, Jan 20, 2009