    Computers are like air conditioners -- they stop working properly if you
    open WINDOWS
    , Feb 28, 2005

  2. Mike Dee Guest

    "" <> wrote in
    news:pan.2005.02.28.06.13.11.185459@TRACKER:

    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >
    > If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    Search for Novell SuSE OpenExchange

    --
    dee

    Wo es ermittlung gibt, gibt es möglichkeit.
    Mike Dee, Feb 28, 2005

  3. Mike Dee Guest

    Mike Dee <> wrote in

    >> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>
    >> If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    > Search for Novell SuSE OpenExchange

    Oops, caveat: doesn't appear to be open source.

    Mike Dee, Feb 28, 2005
  4. On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:13:11 +1300, wrote:

    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >
    > If so, what is it and where can one get it?
    >

    > Divine

    using google.. with the search string
    exchange "open source"
    the very first return is...
    http://mirror.open-xchange.org/ox/EN/community/

    Shane (aka froggy), Feb 28, 2005
  5. Enkidu Guest

    wrote:
    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >
    > If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    to Exchange. Yet.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Feb 28, 2005
  6. Peter Lowrie Guest

    Enkidu wrote:
    > wrote:
    >> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >> If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    > No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    > and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    > to Exchange. Yet.

    That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake Linux
    distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have a look at
    Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    Why keep punishing yourself with the belief that air conditioners are like
    computers...They stop working when you open Windows. All your computer
    problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of the
    excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux I have
    *never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is reason enough
    to use Linux without even getting into reliability and security issues.

    2c
    Peter
    Peter Lowrie, Feb 28, 2005
  7. Chris Hope Guest

    Peter Lowrie wrote:

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>> If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    >> No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >> and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >> to Exchange. Yet.

    > That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake
    > Linux distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have
    > a look at Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    Kontact and Ximian Evolution are email applications similar to Outlook
    or Outlook Express. Exchange is a mail server that users connect to to
    get their mail, address books, book meeting times and resources etc.
    Kontact and Ximian Evolution are *not* anything like Exchange.

    Chris Hope, Feb 28, 2005
  8. Peter Lowrie wrote:
    >>>Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>>If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    >>No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >>and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >>to Exchange. Yet.

    > All your computer
    > problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of the
    > excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux I have
    > *never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is reason enough
    > to use Linux without even getting into reliability and security issues.

    funny, me too, only with Windows, not quite 12 years, but thats only
    because of a lack of age showing.

    ****, thers always one that has to bring up the Linux vs Windows debate.

    If you had those sort of problems with Windows, you did something wrong.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005
  9. Chris Hope Guest

    Dave - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>>No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >>>and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >>>to Exchange. Yet.

    >> All your computer
    >> problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of
    >> the excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux
    >> I have *never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is
    >> reason enough to use Linux without even getting into reliability and
    >> security issues.

    > funny, me too, only with Windows, not quite 12 years, but thats only
    > because of a lack of age showing.
    >
    > ****, thers always one that has to bring up the Linux vs Windows
    > debate.
    >
    > If you had those sort of problems with Windows, you did something
    > wrong.

    I prefer Linux but I've also never managed to get a virus using Windows.
    I got paranoid one day on my Windows box I'd been using for about two
    years and installed AVG Anti Virus, SpyBot Search and Destroy and
    Adaware just to check and sure enough... no viruses or spyware.

    Chris Hope, Feb 28, 2005
  10. cobs Guest

    Peter Lowrie wrote:
    > Enkidu wrote:

    >>No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >>and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >>to Exchange. Yet.

    > That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake Linux
    > distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have a look at
    > Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    MS Exchange is a mail server / groupware solution. It can be used with
    clients like Outlook, or even Evolution (not sure if you need to pay for
    the connector).

    > Why keep punishing yourself with the belief that air conditioners are like
    > computers...They stop working when you open Windows. All your computer
    > problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of the
    > excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux I have
    > *never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is reason enough
    > to use Linux without even getting into reliability and security issues.
    >
    > 2c
    > Peter

    If you're going to climb onto that mighty soap box, you should make sure
    you do up your fly first :)
    cobs, Feb 28, 2005
  11. wrote:
    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?

    heh fuckinggoogleit.com

    > If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    see my point above.
    or try sourceforge.

    --
    Dave.net.nz
    reply addy is e
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005
  12. E. Guest

    wrote:

    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >
    > If so, what is it and where can one get it?
    > Divine

    Got to sourceforge.net. use the search term 'groupware' and basically
    pick one.
    E.
    E., Feb 28, 2005
  13. Gurble Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:01:00 +1300, Peter Lowrie
    <> had this to say:

    >Enkidu wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>> If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    >> No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >> and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >> to Exchange. Yet.

    >That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake Linux
    >distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have a look at
    >Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    And you obviously have no idea about what Exchange can do.

    >Why keep punishing yourself with the belief that air conditioners are like
    >computers...They stop working when you open Windows. All your computer
    >problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in favour of any one of the
    >excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years I've been using Linux I have
    >*never* caught a virus, trojan or spyware app, this alone is reason enough
    >to use Linux without even getting into reliability and security issues.

    Blah, blah, blah. I know what you're saying, but get real. Some people
    prefer Linux. Some people prefer Windows. Some people use both (like
    myself), the right tool for the right job.

    Honestly, you Linux nutters are worse than Mormons...
    Gurble, Feb 28, 2005
  14. Dorado Guest

    Gurble wrote:
    > On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:01:00 +1300, Peter Lowrie
    > <> had this to say:

    >>> No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >>> and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >>> to Exchange. Yet.

    >> That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake
    >> Linux distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to
    >> have a look at Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    > And you obviously have no idea about what Exchange can do.
    >
    >> Why keep punishing yourself with the belief that air conditioners
    >> are like computers...They stop working when you open Windows. All
    >> your computer problems could be fixed by ditching MSWindows in
    >> favour of any one of the excellent Linux distro's. In the 12+ years
    >> I've been using Linux I have *never* caught a virus, trojan or
    >> spyware app, this alone is reason enough to use Linux without even
    >> getting into reliability and security issues.
    >>

    > Blah, blah, blah. I know what you're saying, but get real. Some people
    > prefer Linux. Some people prefer Windows. Some people use both (like
    > myself), the right tool for the right job.
    >
    > Honestly, you Linux nutters are worse than Mormons...

    I have to agree with you there... I use both as well (Windows & Linux that
    is).. each has its advantages over the other in particular situations..
    Anyone who thinks one is superior to the other in every way it either
    1) not educated in both to be able to know how to use the them properly
    or
    2) an idiot
    Dorado, Feb 28, 2005
  15. Adder Guest

    In article <pan.2005.02.28.06.13.11.185459@TRACKER>,
    says...
    > Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?

    of course Lol

    who neesd eschange just use Imap for mail it stays on the server and no
    need for expensive software
    Adder, Feb 28, 2005
  16. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 20:01:00 +1300, Peter Lowrie wrote:

    > Enkidu wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>> If so, what is it and where can one get it?

    >> No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    >> and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    >> to Exchange. Yet.

    > That's not right. I use Kontact which ships with KDE in the Mandrake Linux
    > distro and I find it to be excellent. You may also want to have a look at
    > Ximian-Evolution, it's pretty snazzy too.

    I use Novell Evolution as my main email client, and I thought that Kontact
    was a client rather than a server.

    Divine

    --
    "Microsoft don't need any moral right to be a hypocrite. It's an oxymoron.
    They will do what they can get away with. Of course this makes it difficult
  17. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 23:40:58 +1300, Adder wrote:

    > who neesd eschange just use Imap for mail it stays on the server and no
    > need for expensive software

    I'm thinking more about the colaboration aspects of Exchange, because I am
    already running my own web and email servers.

    Divine

    --
    "Linux and MySQL are going to keep chipping away at Micro$ofts' install base
    and it is terrified. Why else would they keep spouting on about how awful
  18. Guest

    On Mon, 28 Feb 2005 19:42:03 +1300, Enkidu wrote:

    >> Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?
    >>
    >> If so, what is it and where can one get it?
    >>

    > No, basically. There's a number of closed-source products
    > and a number of partial solutions, but nothing comes close
    > to Exchange. Yet.

    Thanks for the info, Cliff (et al.).

    Divine

  19. Gurble wrote:
    > Honestly, you Linux nutters are worse than Mormons...

    ouch man, thats pretty harsh.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005
  20. Adder wrote:
    >>Is there an Open Source equivalent to Micro$oft Exchange?

    > of course Lol
    > who neesd eschange just use Imap for mail it stays on the server and no
    > need for expensive software

    ok then, thats the mail side of it... now wheres the rest?
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Feb 28, 2005