    McG. Guest

    TIA,
    McG.
    McG., Nov 2, 2007

  2. Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2007

  3. McG.

    McG. Guest

    > No. Nor any indication that one is coming.
    >
    > --
    > Charlie.
    > http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >

    > "McG." <> wrote in message
    >> TIA,
    >> McG.

    Thanks Charlie. You wouldn't happen to know how to get system with Vista to
    see the XP x64 system in the Network (in Explorer), would you?
    McG.
    McG., Nov 3, 2007
  4. McG.

    Dennis Pack Guest

    McG:
    Verify that the computers are in the same workgroup. In the x64
    partition go into properties to turn on sharing. Have a great day.

    --
    Dennis Pack
    XP x64 SP2, Vista Enterprise x64

    Dennis Pack, Nov 3, 2007
  5. 1.) who cares if you can see them, as long as you know they're there, you
    can connect to them.

    net use E: \\windowsxpmachine\share

    or, if you can't resolve the name, then use:

    net use E: \\192.168.0.100\share where you substitute the windowsxp machine
    IP address for the one I used here.

    2.) If you still care, make sure you have enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP on
    both sets of connections. If you're dependent on a lame DHCP server that
    does little more than hand out IP addresses, subnet mask and gateway, but no
    actually useful information, you may want consider reserving addresses on
    the DHCP server and then using fixed IP addresses that line up with those on
    the clients so that you can set the features you need.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Nov 3, 2007
  6. McG.

    McG. Guest

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64
    >>>

    >>> "McG." <> wrote in message
    >>>>

    >> Thanks Charlie. You wouldn't happen to know how to get system with Vista
    >> to see the XP x64 system in the Network (in Explorer), would you?
    >> McG.

    The XP systems can see and access the Vista system and see and access each
    other. The Vista system cannot see either XP system when it is booted up
    and they are already running. In the XP sytems, simple file sharing is
    turned on, and each have folders shared, with modifying files allowed.
    All are on WORKGROUP.
    McG.
    McG., Nov 3, 2007
  7. McG.

    McG. Guest

    Sure seems to me if you can't see it anyplace to click on it, you can't
    connect to it.

    Thanks for the 'net use E:\\" . So even if Vista doesn't locate and show
    a device in the network, if I have the IP from the router I can still
    connect to it. Ok.

    McG.

    >>> http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    McG., Nov 4, 2007