Is there an easy way to pass 70-320?

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by Javaman59, Aug 1, 2006.

  1. Javaman59

    Javaman59 Guest

    No.

    Yesterday I did the exam, and passed with 824. (pass mark - 700). Apart from
    the relief of passing the exam, I was also relieved to discover that all the
    months of preparation I had put into it weren't wasted (ie. there are no
    shortcuts)!

    I spent about 6 months, part-time, doing the study. I work in Visual C++ and
    COM, so most of the 70-320 technologies were new to me. After getting buried
    in Kalani's Microsoft book for months, I switched to his ExamCram one, and
    that's when I started making real progress. Also, SAMS Visual C# .Net
    Unleashed was very helpful.

    As I was plodding through this stuff, I kept wondering "Is there an easier
    way?" and "How am I going to remember all of this on exam day".

    I've already answered the first question.

    As for the second question, now that I've done the exam I can see how it
    might have been a bit easier to focus the material, and this might be helpful
    to others.

    1. *Understand* the relationship of client and server in the various
    client/server technologies (remoting,web services, etc)

    2. *Understand* the places of security, performance, scalability and
    interroperability in selecting a client/server technology, and in selecting
    protocols and implementation options (SOAP?,Binary?,Http?,buffering?..etc..)

    3. If you're like me, then you think of security as a necessary, but
    tedious, afterthought. Well, Microsoft is more enthusiastic about security
    than that ;-)

    4. Spend enough time with Visual Studio and the command line tools to at
    least see all of the main concepts in action (several times each, and with
    some variations). Unfortunately, I had lots of problems configuring my
    computer to support the various technologies. If I were to do it again, I'd
    start with a bare-bones WinXP and keep it dedicated to this project. There's
    nothing more frustrating than spending precious study hours battling
    configuration problems!

    5. Details..details..details... "How am I going to remember all these
    classes, attributes, methods.. etc..?". This for me was the big question
    hanging over my preparedness for the exam, and I probably shouldn't give too
    much away here, as I suspect part of the exam strategy is to sort out whether
    people know enough details, without having to know everything (which is
    impossible). Nevertheless, I'd suggest the following - 1. Frame your study
    around 1, 2, 3 and 4, above, and the details which relate to these; 2.
    Familiarity with .Net, built up through lots of programming, is very helpful,
    as it helps you to guess at the meaning of identifiers which you haven't seen
    before.

    It's been a grueling process, but I've also enjoyed it. If I didn't enjoy
    ..Net so much, I don't think I could ever have passed.

    Good luck, and try to have some fun with it!

    Javaman

    ps. Please don't ask any specific questions about exam content. I'm not
    allowed to answer. As a general comment, I wouldn't recommend that you skip
    *any* of the Kalani book in the hope that it won't appear in the exam. :)

    Javaman59, Aug 1, 2006

  2. Javaman59

    Cerebrus Guest

    Good set of tips, there.