    Are there any other apps that might help me glean some info about my
    CD-ROM?
    Paul

    Paul, Feb 15, 2004

  2. Paul

    Harrison Guest

    Right click My Computer and choose Properties.
    Go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
    Expand the DVD/CD-ROM Drives section. Is it there?
    If your computer recognizes it there, and it doesn't read, it's probably dead.
    Aida32 will also give you specific information about your hardware.

    Harrison, Feb 15, 2004

  3. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 04:57:11 -0500, Harrison <Harrison> wrote:

    >Right click My Computer and choose Properties.
    >Go to the Hardware tab and click Device Manager.
    >Expand the DVD/CD-ROM Drives section. Is it there?
    >If your computer recognizes it there, and it doesn't read, it's probably dead.
    >Aida32 will also give you specific information about your hardware.

    Thanks a lot for the reply.
    Managed to get Nero toolkit working and it didn`t identify any
    problems other than the fact that it didn`t recognise that a cd was in
    the drive.
    Already checked the windows hardware, and the manufacturer isn`t
    listed and the device is "working properly."
    Guess i`m just going to have to take the drive out and clean the
    lens.
    Thanks for the Aiida32 mention. I`ll check it out.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 15, 2004
  4. Paul

    reid decker Guest

    Try a CDROM laser lens cleaner..Brushes clean your laser. Worked for me.

    reid decker, Feb 15, 2004
  5. Paul

    Paul Guest

    On Sun, 15 Feb 2004 10:04:49 -0500, "reid decker"
    <> wrote:

    > Try a CDROM laser lens cleaner..Brushes clean your laser. Worked for me.
    >"Paul" <> wrote in message
    >> My computer is no longer reading my cd-rom drive though having taken
    >> the case off and checked the wiring everything seems to be ok.
    >> I can`t find the name of my cd-rom manufacturer but need to make
    >> sure my device isn`t made by LG Electronics.
    >> I have tried Nero toolkit to try and obtain any info about my rom
    >> drive but it freezes my computer.
    >> Are there any other apps that might help me glean some info about my
    >> CD-ROM?
    >> Paul

    Doesn`t that require the computer to recognise there`s actually a disk
    in the drive?
    Thanks for your help.

    Paul

    Paul, Feb 15, 2004