    appreciate there info.

    --
    Remove 'nospam' from the address to email me

    Stuart, Feb 3, 2007

  2. On Feb 4, 6:59 am, "Stuart" <> wrote:
    > None of those I have looked at give any indication of compatability. Netgear
    > says theirs will not be in the forseable future. What crummy support for
    > future technology.
    > So. If anyone knows of An ADSL LAN router that is compatible I would really
    > appreciate there info.
    >
    > --
    > Remove 'nospam' from the address to email me

    Netgear's refusal to support 64 bits is for things like print drivers
    for their print servers, USB drivers when needed, and similar things.
    Otherwise routers are stand-alone devices that only see network
    protocols and are machine/OS independent.

    I am running a Netgear DG834 ADSL modem-router-firewall without
    problem; previously had an FR114P router-firewall-print server -- the
    print server became toast when I installed X64 but everything else
    worked fine, as one would expect.

    Bottom line is that an ADSL or any other router is not related to X64
    or the OS unless you have additional features you need like USB
    drivers to connect it, or print servers. Anything that attaches by
    ethernet or wireless should work just fine.

    'Flyer

    Computerflyer, Feb 3, 2007

  3. Stuart

    Theo Guest

    Any ADSL LAN router with an ethernet connection to the your
    main computer is compatible with Win x64 and Vista x64. I'm
    using an ActionTec with no problems. The problem is trying
    to find one with USB support.

    Theo, Feb 3, 2007
  4. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am running a Netgear DG834 ADSL
    modem-router-firewall It makes a connection and allows IE explorer 6 & 7 to
    open a page but then freezes. When I do a speed check using my ISP's link on
    the 64 bit machine it show that I have a 128 Mb per second connection (I
    wished... LOL.) But the connection doesn't work properly. Only a percentage
    of my email arrive. If I fire up the 32 bit computer I have to reset the
    router (Power off/on) before it will work properly. On the 32 bit computer
    everthing then works as normal. Netgear admit that their routers do not
    support x64 OS.

    I want to know of one that is officially supported by the manufacturer. I
    have searched and as yet havn't found one.

    Stuart, Feb 3, 2007
  5. On Feb 4, 9:30 am, "Stuart" <> wrote:
    > I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am running a Netgear DG834 ADSL
    > modem-router-firewall It makes a connection and allows IE explorer 6 & 7 to
    > open a page but then freezes. When I do a speed check using my ISP's link on
    > the 64 bit machine it show that I have a 128 Mb per second connection (I
    > wished... LOL.) But the connection doesn't work properly. Only a percentage
    > of my email arrive. If I fire up the 32 bit computer I have to reset the
    > router (Power off/on) before it will work properly. On the 32 bit computer
    > everthing then works as normal. Netgear admit that their routers do not
    > support x64 OS.

    Stuart, are you suggesting I am mistaken that at this moment I have a
    DG834 on-line, and it is working on this X64 system, and that I have
    found the DG834 to be fairly bulletproof so far.

    I don't think so!

    Perhaps do you have a Gigabyte motherboard, or anything with nVidia
    ethernet drivers or nVidia firewall on X64?

    If so, THAT is most probably your problem, not the router. Been
    there. The nVidia drivers are not good, to be polite. There are many
    cases of this on the NG.

    If this is your situation, then uninstall *all* the nVidia drivers/
    firewall via Control Panel, reboot, and point the hardware installer
    at directories with the necessary drivers - not using nVidia's
    installer. And DO NOT use the nVidia firewall. (Make sure you have
    downloaded the latest drivers.)

    That worked for me. YMMV.

    'Flyer

    Computerflyer, Feb 4, 2007
  6. Stuart,

    I would add that there is a probability you could easily have other
    miscreant drivers in your X64 system causing your grief if it is not
    nVidia related.

    Believe what you want, but your problem is NOT in the DG834 because of
    X64 support (or not) issues. It is within your X64 system.

    Unless your router is misconfigured, it is innocent.

    'Flyer

    Computerflyer, Feb 4, 2007
  7. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Yes I am using a Gigabyte motherboard and as far as I know I am only using
    NVidia graphics card drivers.

    You may be correct in assuming that the OS itself may be causing a problem
    as it installed itself across 2 SATA drives. Although I had plugged the
    empty drive into SATA socket 0 and the DATA drive into Socket 1, the drive
    with DATA files became the "C" drive and Windows was installed on Drive "D".
    Thats where the Windows folder is.But when I tried to remove Drive "C"
    windows wouldn't boot up until I replaced it saying that the required files
    were missing.

    If you would expand a little on the information you have given me I would
    greatly appreciate it.
    I am more than willing to format the drive and start again if you are sure
    this will cure the problem.

    I am still more than a little surprised that a company such as Netgear is
    unwilling to say that there equipment is suitable for 64 bit operating
    systems.

    I have just suscribed to this news group and only have the last 1000 items
    to read and could't see any reference to this problem.

    Thanks once again for your input.

    Stuart, Feb 4, 2007
  8. Stuart

    Jane C Guest

    Stuart, the first time I installed XP x64 I had horrendous connection
    issues. At first I thought it might have been the router, but no. What I
    did was to assign a static internal IP address on the computer, specify the
    router as the default gateway and default DNS, then added my ISPs DNS server
    as additional DNS. I also enabled NetBIOS over TCP/IP. All of my
    connection problems vanished. Now as a matter of habit, I always manually
    assign fixed IP, gateway and DNS. Vista x64 I do the same.

    This is our setup:
    Router 10.1.1.1
    PC1 10.1.1.2, subnet 255.255.255.0
    PC2 10.1.1.3 ""
    PC3 10.1.1.4 ""
    Default gateway 10.1.1.1
    DNS server 10.1.1.1
    ISP DNS server as additional DNS

    --
    Jane, not plain ;) 64 bit enabled :)

    Jane C, Feb 4, 2007
  9. On Feb 4, 11:50 am, "Stuart" <> wrote:
    > Yes I am using a Gigabyte motherboard and as far as I know I am only using
    > NVidia graphics card drivers.
    >
    > You may be correct in assuming that the OS itself may be causing a problem
    > as it installed itself across 2 SATA drives. Although I had plugged the
    > empty drive into SATA socket 0 and the DATA drive into Socket 1, the drive
    > with DATA files became the "C" drive and Windows was installed on Drive "D".
    > Thats where the Windows folder is.But when I tried to remove Drive "C"
    > windows wouldn't boot up until I replaced it saying that the required files
    > were missing.

    That is a different twist. When you removed "c" you also probably
    took away boot.ini ntdetect.com and ntldr.

    You have enough problems so it might be worth starting all over again
    if the suggestion from Jane didn't help, or even if they did and you
    want X64 on your C drive.

    To keep it simple, format the drive you want for the system, put it in
    the first SATA position, and remove the other for now. (You can
    format from the install CD if necessary.)

    Make sure your BIOS is set to autodetect peripherals, and select clear
    NVRAM (or similar depending on model) so the motherboard starts fresh.

    Install X64 to your single drive system.

    You should have an nVidia GForce Utility CD by whatever name, with
    motherboard drivers. ( Check the version against the latest download
    from nVidia's web site. If you don't have the nVidia CD, simply
    download the drivers as everything should be there. )

    Load the motherboard drivers (minimally a PCI driver) from your
    Utility CD, and video and ethernet drivers. Avoid anything not
    absolutely necessary from that kit. If you would run a RAID, which
    does not appear relevant, include mediashield.

    Reboot. Update the drivers using the windows drivers applets by
    pointing the update process to your downloaded and unpacked folders.

    At this point you should have X64 with the necessary nVidia drivers.
    Try your networking. If good, start windows update for patches and
    bring your system up to current levels.

    Assuming all works this time you can go into control panel-
    >administrative tools->computer management->storage->disk management,

    right click on your DVD and change its drive letter from D to E if you
    need to, so when you add the Data disk back in it can be D:

    Now start adding your applications again, and check for stability
    after each one.

    Good luck.

    Computerflyer, Feb 4, 2007
  10. Stuart

    Dshai Guest

    I concur Jane, not just with x64 but since I started with home networking
    I've found that while dhcp is the easy way out it's much better and more
    reliable to go the static route. I even assign static ip's to machine i work
    on/build here for others, returning them to dhcp before shipping/returning
    them to their owners.

    --

    Dshai

    Life is only limited by those living it...

    Dshai, Feb 4, 2007
  11. Stuart

    BSchnur Guest

    I've not had a problem with x64 using dhcp -- but I'm using a WinProxy
    firewall which is handling that for the home network.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 4, 2007
  12. Stuart

    Jane C Guest

    We rarely had problems with DHCP, apart from on the odd occasion when
    Windows in its' infinite wisdom tried to assign an APIPA address.

    The main thing that cured my connection problems in XP x64 was assigning
    the ISP DNS server as alternative DNS. Never had to do it with 32 bit XP.
    For some strange reason or another, without that alternative DNS, XP x64
    just would not get to a lot of websites.

    Jane C, Feb 4, 2007
  13. Stuart

    BSchnur Guest

    Interesting -- haven't seen it in the RC1 64 bit set ups I have
    running.

    Can't say about XP 64 -- too much driver hell for me to play with that
    for long.

    --
    Barry Schnur

    BSchnur, Feb 4, 2007
  14. On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:00:20 GMT, Dshai wrote in

    > I concur Jane, not just with x64 but since I started with
    > home networking I've found that while dhcp is the easy way
    > out it's much better and more reliable to go the static
    > route. I even assign static ip's to machine i work on/build
    > here for others, returning them to dhcp before
    > shipping/returning them to their owners.

    I, too, believe in static IPs. Along with them, I use a local
    DNS server on each machine (TreeWalk DNS) and HostMan host file
    manager. I do leave DNS enabled on the router, but limit its use
    to IPs above .100 which separates my boxes from the DHCP side of
    things.

    The primary DNS on all my static machines is 127.0.0.1 and the
    secondary is the address of the router. The router grabs the
    current DNS servers that the ISP is using at any particular
    point in time and shoves my machines in the right direction
    should the routing not be in the local TWDNS cache. Everything
    is _very_ speedy.

    This has worked well with w2k, XP home and pro, and XP x64. And,
    by leaving DHCP enabled on the router, it easily handles
    portable machines.

    Flatus

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Feb 4, 2007
  15. On Sun, 04 Feb 2007 13:00:20 GMT, Dshai wrote in

    > I concur Jane, not just with x64 but since I started with
    > home networking I've found that while dhcp is the easy way
    > out it's much better and more reliable to go the static
    > route. I even assign static ip's to machine i work on/build
    > here for others, returning them to dhcp before
    > shipping/returning them to their owners.

    ....Corrected...
    I, too, believe in static IPs. Along with them, I use a local
    DNS server on each machine (TreeWalk DNS) and HostMan host
    file manager. I do leave DHCP enabled on the router, but limit

    Flatus Ohlfahrt, Feb 4, 2007
  16. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    Thanks for all the help.
    I will go for the option of starting from scratch first and see what happens
    from there.

    Stuart, Feb 5, 2007
  17. Stuart

    Stuart Guest

    This is a followup to my last reply.
    Out of curiosity I went to the View network connections folder and looked at
    the properties. I have 2 connections. The 1394 and the Yukon marvel lan.
    I am not sure how I would go about making the changes that Jane suggested. I
    gathered some Idea from the properties but would really appreciate a walk
    through so that I don't end up messing it up all together.
    Thanks for all the information. I think you are all absolutely marvelouse.

    Stuart, Feb 5, 2007
  18. Stuart

    Kue2 Guest

    Have u installed the latest drivers for your Marvel card?
    http://www.marvell.com/drivers/search.do

    Kue2, Feb 5, 2007
  19. I don't have a Yukon LAN, but the settings all are similar in where to
    put them.

    After getting and installing the latest drivers, to setup a static IP
    you Start->Connect To->Show All Connections

    Right Click on your Yukon LAN

    Select Properties->Internet Connection (TCP/IP)

    and you will see boxes for DHCP, static IP, etc.

    If you select static IP, and since you have a DG834, you can pick any
    IP address in the 192.168.0.2->255 range at random, ther DG834 starts
    at 2 and assigns IPs upwards. BUT to be fully honest you need to go
    into the router and reserve the IP address you select. On a home net
    it is VERY unlikely it will assign anything above roughly 192.168.0.4
    or so picking something like 192.168.0.57 is probably safe -- whatever
    you select you should reserve in the DG834 by loggin into it and going
    to "LAN IP setup" where it should be reasonably obvious how to reserve
    your IP number from DHCP service.

    For your DNS server, the easiest way to find that is to go to your 32
    bit system (since it works properly), open a CMD window and enter
    "ipconfig /all" and for the DG834 you will probably see its address,
    192.168.0.1, which is what to enter into the applet for the DNS.

    (FWIW I have not had any issues with DHCP anywhere at any time, but
    there is always the possiblity.)

    Keep us posted how you go :)

    Computerflyer, Feb 6, 2007
  20. Stuart

    Guest

    On Feb 3, 2:30 pm, "Stuart" <> wrote:
    > I'm afraid you are mistaken. I am running a Netgear DG834 ADSL
    > modem-router-firewall It makes a connection and allows IE explorer 6 & 7 to
    > open a page but then freezes. When I do a speed check using my ISP's link on
    > the 64 bit machine it show that I have a 128 Mb per second connection (I
    > wished... LOL.) But the connection doesn't work properly. Only a percentage
    > of my email arrive. If I fire up the 32 bit computer I have to reset the
    > router (Power off/on) before it will work properly. On the 32 bit computer
    > everthing then works as normal. Netgear admit that their routers do not
    > support x64 OS.
    >
    > I want to know of one that is officially supported by the manufacturer. I
    > have searched and as yet havn't found one.
    > --
    > Remove 'nospam' from the address to email me"Stuart" <> wrote in message

    > > None of those I have looked at give any indication of compatability.
    > > Netgear says theirs will not be in the forseable future. What crummy
    > > support for future technology.
    > > So. If anyone knows of An ADSL LAN router that is compatible I would
    > > really appreciate there info.

    > > --
    > > Remove 'nospam' from the address to email me

    The router is independent of the OS as Stuart claims. However, I had a
    mystery of sorts where the browsers (IE or Firefox) on my X64 machine
    refused to talk to my old SMC barricade router. I always had to log
    into the router on another machine. I got a Netgear WNR845T and have
    no problem with any of my computers talking to it, including the X64
    box.

    , Feb 6, 2007