    movie.

    Thanks,

    Ant

    Ant, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Ant

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Ant" <> wrote in message
    news:yyYwc.1587$...
    > I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of Full Metal

    Jacket. I
    > haven't seen one anywhere and hate fullscreen, but I have to have this
    > movie.

    No. Many years ago Stanley Kubrick stated that he preferred his movies
    to be full-frame on home video because he disliked letterboxing. He died
    before he could reconsider, and his estate has not dared to contradict
    his previous decisions.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 7, 2004

  3. Ant

    3W Guest

    "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    > "Ant" <> wrote in message
    > > I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of Full Metal

    > Jacket. I
    > > haven't seen one anywhere and hate fullscreen, but I have to have this
    > > movie.

    > No. Many years ago Stanley Kubrick stated that he preferred his movies
    > to be full-frame on home video because he disliked letterboxing. He died
    > before he could reconsider, and his estate has not dared to contradict
    > his previous decisions.

    He probably didn't realize 16x9 TVs. But now they're here, so they should
    reverse that decision.

    3W, Jun 7, 2004
  4. Ant

    diesel Guest

    >>No. Many years ago Stanley Kubrick stated that he preferred his movies
    >>to be full-frame on home video because he disliked letterboxing.

    Well, an anamorphic 16x9 DVD wouldn't have letter boxing.

    Any black bars would be due to the 'wrong' TV, and a 4:3 film is letter
    boxed on a widescreen TV, just sideways, just as a 16:9 is on a standard
    TV. So there is no argument for one format over another.

    I don't see a legal issue?

    diesel

    ------------------------------

    Mayonnaise is not an instrument

    diesel, Jun 7, 2004
  5. 3W wrote:
    > "Joshua Zyber" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>"Ant" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>>I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of Full Metal

    >>Jacket. I
    >>
    >>>haven't seen one anywhere and hate fullscreen, but I have to have this
    >>>movie.

    >>No. Many years ago Stanley Kubrick stated that he preferred his movies
    >>to be full-frame on home video because he disliked letterboxing. He died
    >>before he could reconsider, and his estate has not dared to contradict
    >>his previous decisions.

    > He probably didn't realize 16x9 TVs. But now they're here, so they should
    > reverse that decision.

    Widescreen tvs have been in the planning stages since the 60s, and there
    were HD prototypes by the 70s. Kubrick *did* know they existed, heck,
    he lived in England, and his assistants have said in interviews that he
    talked about it. Nevertheless he preferred the 4:3 ratio or a ratio
    close to it for some of his movies.

    --
    "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    heard all day."

    Grand Inquisitor

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 7, 2004
  6. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Grand Inquisitor" <> wrote in message
    > Widescreen tvs have been in the planning stages since the 60s, and there
    > were HD prototypes by the 70s. Kubrick *did* know they existed, heck,
    > he lived in England, and his assistants have said in interviews that he
    > talked about it. Nevertheless he preferred the 4:3 ratio or a ratio
    > close to it for some of his movies.
    >
    > --
    > "I like the cover: 'DON'T PANIC.' It's the first sensible thing I've
    > heard all day."
    > --Arthur Dent
    >
    > Grand Inquisitor
    > http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollection.asp?alias=Oost

    Well, thanks for all of the feedback! I guess I'll be getting the DVD as-is
    for the time being :) If they do a wide version, I'll pick that up too *_*

    Cheers,

    Ant

    Ant, Jun 7, 2004
  7. Ant

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "diesel" <> wrote in message
    > Well, an anamorphic 16x9 DVD wouldn't have letter boxing.

    It would if played back on a 4:3 television.

    > Any black bars would be due to the 'wrong' TV, and a 4:3 film is

    letter
    > boxed on a widescreen TV, just sideways, just as a 16:9 is on a

    standard
    > TV. So there is no argument for one format over another.

    All valid points that may well have eventually caused Kubrick to change
    his mind, had he not died first.

    > I don't see a legal issue?

    The only legal issue is that Kubrick's estate believes that he preferred
    4:3 for his movies, and have insisted that they be released that way.
    Being dead, he is no longer able to contradict them.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 7, 2004
  8. That's it Ant I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    Now someone hit my music....
    > I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of Full Metal
    > Jacket. I haven't seen one anywhere and hate fullscreen, but I have
    > to have this movie.

    No because Fullscreen is the way Stanley Kubrick intended
    "Full Metal Jacket" to be in, which I fully support.

    --
    Demolition Man

    Brian The Demolition Man Little, Jun 8, 2004
  9. Ant

    Doonie Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 20:18:28 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >Nevertheless he preferred the 4:3 ratio or a ratio close to it
    >for some of his movies.

    This isn't true! He was afraid of his movies being pan and scanned,
    that's all.

    --
    http://911research.wtc7.net

    Doonie, Jun 8, 2004
  10. Doonie wrote:
    >>Nevertheless he preferred the 4:3 ratio or a ratio close to it
    >>for some of his movies.

    > This isn't true! He was afraid of his movies being pan and scanned,
    > that's all.

    If you look at the composition of FMJ, The Shining, or EWS, you will
    notice a lot of similarities to the composition of his earlier 4:3
    films, Paths of Glory and The Killing, namely.

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 8, 2004
  11. Ant

    Ant Guest

    "Brian The Demolition Man Little" <> wrote in message
    > That's it Ant I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    > Now someone hit my music....
    > No because Fullscreen is the way Stanley Kubrick intended
    > "Full Metal Jacket" to be in, which I fully support.
    >
    > --
    > Demolition Man

    But why would he want this?

    Just wondering?

    Ant

    Ant, Jun 8, 2004
  12. Ant

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > The only legal issue is that Kubrick's estate believes that he preferred
    > 4:3 for his movies, and have insisted that they be released that way.
    > Being dead, he is no longer able to contradict them.

    I suppose if it really bothered someone, and they had access to a DVD
    burner, they could rip the film, edit it themselves to 1.66:1 (wasn't that
    the theatrical aspect of most of his films now 1.33:1 on DVD?), then burn it
    back to disc. Now that I have a burner, I might try that with The Shining. I
    can't stand the open-matte look of that flick.

    Mike Jackson
    Editor & Web Developer, DVD Verdict
    www.dvdverdict.com

    Mike Jackson, Jun 8, 2004
  13. Ant

    Mike Jackson Guest

    > No because Fullscreen is the way Stanley Kubrick intended
    > "Full Metal Jacket" to be in, which I fully support.

    I still don't buy this argument. If that's the case, why were they released
    theatrically at a different ratio? Sure, you're going to say that most
    theaters can't/don't screen Academy Ratio any more. Don't buy that either.
    Why? Because when you go through any of these films (okay, so I've only done
    it myself with The Shining and Eyes Wide Shut) and manually letterbox them,
    they just *look* better. That extra space distracts from the subject of the
    frame. Maybe he composed with Academy in mind, but you can't convince me
    that he didn't plan for it to look *right* at 1.66:1.

    So what I'm asking myself is, do I waste a blank DVD-R on letterboxing The
    Shining, or just let it sit idly on my shelf because the full-frame
    composition annoys me too much to watch it?

    Mike Jackson, Jun 8, 2004
  14. Ant

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Brian The Demolition Man Little wrote:
    > That's it Ant I'm sick and tired of this crap!
    > Now someone hit my music....
    >
    >>I've been wondering if there's a widescreen version of Full Metal
    >>Jacket. I haven't seen one anywhere and hate fullscreen, but I have
    >>to have this movie.

    > No because Fullscreen is the way Stanley Kubrick intended
    > "Full Metal Jacket" to be in, which I fully support.

    Didn't the INHD channel (or was it INHD2) recently show a widescreen HD
    transfer of Full Metal Jacket in the last couple of months? I
    definitely remember catching A Clockwork Orange in widescreen on that
    channel not too long ago.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Jun 8, 2004
  15. Ant

    Mike Kohary Guest

    On Mon, 07 Jun 2004 22:49:40 GMT, "Joshua Zyber"
    <> wrote:

    >The only legal issue is that Kubrick's estate believes that he preferred
    >4:3 for his movies, and have insisted that they be released that way.
    >Being dead, he is no longer able to contradict them.

    Being dead, his heirs should consider reconsidering that decision. :)

    Mike

    Grand Inquisitor, Jun 8, 2004
  17. Ant

    Joshua Zyber Guest

    "Andrew Venor" <> wrote in message
    > Didn't the INHD channel (or was it INHD2) recently show a widescreen

    HD
    > transfer of Full Metal Jacket in the last couple of months? I
    > definitely remember catching A Clockwork Orange in widescreen on that
    > channel not too long ago.

    Yes, and both movies looked great. HBO has also run a 16:9 edition of
    Eyes Wide Shut on thier HD channel.

    Joshua Zyber, Jun 9, 2004
  18. Ant

    Andrew Venor Guest

    Joshua Zyber wrote:
    > "Andrew Venor" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Didn't the INHD channel (or was it INHD2) recently show a widescreen

    > HD
    >
    >>transfer of Full Metal Jacket in the last couple of months? I
    >>definitely remember catching A Clockwork Orange in widescreen on that
    >>channel not too long ago.

    > Yes, and both movies looked great. HBO has also run a 16:9 edition of
    > Eyes Wide Shut on thier HD channel.

    Thanks, that's what I thought.

    So to the whoever started this thread, yes their is a widescreen version
    of Full Metal Jacket. It's just that it's not on DVD.

    ALV

    Andrew Venor, Jun 9, 2004
  19. Ant

    Doonie Guest

    On Tue, 08 Jun 2004 01:57:10 GMT, Grand Inquisitor wrote:

    >Doonie wrote:
    >
    >>>Nevertheless he preferred the 4:3 ratio or a ratio close to it
    >>>for some of his movies.

    >> This isn't true! He was afraid of his movies being pan and scanned,
    >> that's all.

    >If you look at the composition of FMJ, The Shining, or EWS, you will
    >notice a lot of similarities to the composition of his earlier 4:3
    >films, Paths of Glory and The Killing, namely.

    All the awkward, extra space at the top and the bottom?

    --
    http://911research.wtc7.net

    Doonie, Jun 9, 2004
  20. Ant

    Eric R. Guest

    Mike Kohary <> wrote in message news:<>...

    > Being dead, his heirs should consider reconsidering that decision. :)

    Hell, why not? Steven Speilberg has already started the post-mortem
    raping. His kids might was well have a shot at fucking him in the ass
    too.

    -Eric

    Eric R., Jun 9, 2004