    engines that are just as good if not better. However, if Firefox has
    some addon to kill this thing, I'd surely install it.

    , Sep 4, 2008

  2. Guest

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 09:18:46 -0500, Justin <>
    wrote:

    > wrote on [Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:03:51 -0500]:
    >> Is there a way to turn off the Google query suggestions in the search
    >> box, in Firefox? This is one of the most irritating things google has
    >> ever done. It's darn near as bad as popup ads.

    >Yes, login and save the preferences
    >
    >> Yes, I know I can set the preferences on Google, but I am not going to
    >> set that everytime I use google, and I do not save any cookies on my
    >> computer. When I close my browser, the cookies are all deleted.

    >You're too paranoid. By far
    >
    >> Cookies are far too dangerous to store on my drive, particularly from
    >> a company who bought DoubleClick.com and is responsible for at least

    >No, they're not.

    Well, I'll let you store them. I'm not being mean, I just know what
    to do to avoid spyware and viruses. Since I run Win98, I have a msdos
    batch file that clears away all cookies and cache from all browsers
    that I use. I run it automatically from autoexec.bat upon bootup.

    >> 50% of all the newsgroup spam. Not to mention Google has spyware in
    >> all their google download files.

    >What is this google spyware you are referring to?

    Several years ago, I downloaded Picaza from google (an image viewer).
    It was loaded with spyware. The google toolbar is most intrusive.

    >You can also use the CustomizeGoogle add-on and turn off the google
    >suggest feature.

    Where does one get this?

    Thanks

    LM

    , Sep 4, 2008

  3. Old Enough Guest

    On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:01:13 -0500, John Thompson
    <2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >Install the "Customize Google" add-on: http://www.customizegoogle.com/

    I did.
    I unchecked : "Use Google suggest (suggest words while you're
    typing)"

    I type "mi" (for Micro SD Card) in the search line, and immediately
    get a dozen or so suggestions.

    Isn't that what this customizing program is supposed to prevent?

    What did I do wrong?

    Thanks!
    _________________________________
    Old Enough
    to know I don't know a thing ....

    Old Enough, Sep 6, 2008
  4. Old Enough Guest

    Old Enough, Sep 6, 2008
  5. Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <>, the
    lovely and talented Old Enough broadcast on alt.fan.mozilla:

    > On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:01:13 -0500, John Thompson
    ><2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >>Install the "Customize Google" add-on: http://www.customizegoogle.com/

    > I did.
    > I unchecked : "Use Google suggest (suggest words while you're
    > typing)"

    > I type "mi" (for Micro SD Card) in the search line, and immediately
    > get a dozen or so suggestions.

    > Isn't that what this customizing program is supposed to prevent?

    > What did I do wrong?

    Nothing. It's been clear for some time now that Google is reaching the end
    of its useful life cycle. Like Alta Vista before it, it is becoming feature
    bound and overburdened with paid links. Many searches turn up page after
    page of products before they yield anything on the subject. Trying to take
    the web proprietary with Chrome (as they tried to take Usenet proprietary
    with Googlegroups) is just another sign that their usefulness is nearly
    over.

    --
    Lars Eighner <http://larseighner.com/>
    War hath no fury like a noncombatant.

    Lars Eighner, Sep 6, 2008
  6. Lars Eighner Guest

    In our last episode, <>, the

    Lars Eighner, Sep 6, 2008
  7. Rom Guest

    On Thu, 04 Sep 2008 07:03:51 -0500, wrote:

    > Is there a way to turn off the Google query suggestions in the search
    > box, in Firefox?

    For the search bar, toggle browser.search.suggest.enabled to false in
    about:config, see:
    <http://kb.mozillazine.org/Browser.search.suggest.enabled>

    Scroogle <http://www.scroogle.org/cgi-bin/scraper.htm> search plugin:
    <http://mycroft.mozdev.org/search-engines.html?name=scroogle&skipcache=yes>

    --
    Rom

    Rom, Sep 7, 2008
  8. Rom Guest

    Rom, Sep 7, 2008
  9. Guest

    On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:23:06 -0400, Old Enough <> wrote:

    >On Thu, 4 Sep 2008 16:01:13 -0500, John Thompson
    ><2.dhs.org> wrote:
    >

    >>Install the "Customize Google" add-on: http://www.customizegoogle.com/

    >I did.
    >I unchecked : "Use Google suggest (suggest words while you're
    >typing)"
    >
    >I type "mi" (for Micro SD Card) in the search line, and immediately
    >get a dozen or so suggestions.
    >
    >Isn't that what this customizing program is supposed to prevent?
    >
    >What did I do wrong?
    >
    >Thanks!
    >_________________________________
    >Old Enough
    >to know I don't know a thing ....

    I installed this addon too, and it did not work for me either.
    And even if it did work for google, it still will not remove the
    search suggestions on youtube, ebay, and many other search engines.
    It looks like the web is being taken over by this annoyance feature.

    , Sep 21, 2008
  10. John Doe Guest

    letterman invalid.com wrote:

    > On Sat, 06 Sep 2008 18:23:06 -0400, Old Enough <ab cd.ca> wrote:

    >><john vector.os2.dhs.org> wrote:

    >>>Install the "Customize Google" add-on: http://www.customizegoogle.com/

    >>I did.
    >>I unchecked : "Use Google suggest (suggest words while you're
    >>typing)"
    >>
    >>I type "mi" (for Micro SD Card) in the search line, and immediately
    >>get a dozen or so suggestions.
    >>
    >>Isn't that what this customizing program is supposed to prevent?
    >>
    >>What did I do wrong?
    >>
    >>Thanks!
    >>_________________________________
    >>Old Enough
    >>to know I don't know a thing ....

    > I installed this addon too, and it did not work for me either.
    > And even if it did work for google, it still will not remove the
    > search suggestions on youtube, ebay, and many other search engines.
    > It looks like the web is being taken over by this annoyance feature.

    Something I find annoying is when an XNoArchive author asks for
    technical help. The original post is missing from the archive, so
    when doing research I am less likely to know what the replies are
    talking about. If you're going to solicit the time and energy of
    others in a technical help group, at least let your posts be
    archived in that thread.

    John Doe, Sep 21, 2008
  11. John Doe Guest

    Justin <> wrote:

    > John Doe wrote on [Sun, 21 Sep 2008 18:27:10 GMT]:

    >> Something I find annoying is when an XNoArchive author asks for
    >> technical help. The original post is missing from the archive, so
    >> when doing research I am less likely to know what the replies are
    >> talking about. If you're going to solicit the time and energy of
    >> others in a technical help group, at least let your posts be
    >> archived in that thread.

    > The guy is too paranoid to allow cookies on his machine, do you
    > expect him to care about that?

    Unless Google Groups destroys the USENET archive, perhaps the
    greatest benefit of a technical help group is what's left in the
    archive after the live discussion here. Besides the huge benefit of
    being able to find answers by searching the public USENET archive,
    redundant USENET Question and Answer traffic is greatly reduced by
    doing so.

    --
    The first big front wheel rollerblades.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/27532210@N04/2565924423/