Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer? Prevent data theft?

Discussion in 'Computer Security' started by RakperBanengen@yahoo.com, Jun 2, 2009.

  1. Guest

    Hi,

    Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer to prevent data theft?

    The employee of a business could work on a file, save the
    modifications, but it would not be possible for the file to be
    accessed by someone on another computer. It would not be possible to
    copy data and paste it in another document.

    I've found a software, but it's very expensive. It allows modifying an
    Excel file (and other MS Office files) and it's capable of tying it
    down to a computer. It can block copying data to the clipboard. It
    would be nice if copy and paste would be possible within the same
    Excel file (since copy and paste saves a lot of time when editing).
    The software : Office Security OwnerGuard (http://www.armjisoft.com/?
    page=officeownerguard). The free version doesn't allow to decrypt
    files.

    I know there's software to block USB drives and floppies and
    bluetooth... But they don't block emails or web storage... And the
    employee in question would need to be able to get and send emails.

    Any ideas please? Is there a jewel somewhere that would allow to
    prevent data theft?

    , Jun 2, 2009

  2. Martin Guest

    Re: Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer? Prevent datatheft?

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer to prevent data theft?

    I would unplug the Cat5 cable YMMV

    Martin, Jun 3, 2009

  3. Unruh Guest

    Martin <> writes:

    > wrote:
    >> Hi,
    >>
    >> Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer to prevent data theft?

    No. It is simply a collection of bits. Those bits do not care what
    medium they are expressed in.
    However you could encrypt the file so that noone who does not know the
    password could read the file.

    Unruh, Jun 3, 2009
  4. Kerry Brown Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer to prevent data theft?
    >
    > The employee of a business could work on a file, save the
    > modifications, but it would not be possible for the file to be
    > accessed by someone on another computer. It would not be possible to
    > copy data and paste it in another document.
    >
    > I've found a software, but it's very expensive. It allows modifying an
    > Excel file (and other MS Office files) and it's capable of tying it
    > down to a computer. It can block copying data to the clipboard. It
    > would be nice if copy and paste would be possible within the same
    > Excel file (since copy and paste saves a lot of time when editing).
    > The software : Office Security OwnerGuard (http://www.armjisoft.com/?
    > page=officeownerguard). The free version doesn't allow to decrypt
    > files.
    >
    > I know there's software to block USB drives and floppies and
    > bluetooth... But they don't block emails or web storage... And the
    > employee in question would need to be able to get and send emails.
    >
    > Any ideas please? Is there a jewel somewhere that would allow to
    > prevent data theft?

    If you have an all Windows, Active Directory based network this will be very
    hard for most users to get around.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/rightsmgmt/default.mspx

    In the end if a user can work with a file there is always a way to copy the
    information in it, even if they just take screen shots with a camera or
    manually transcribe the data. Allowing a user to see and use the data
    implies a certain level of trust. Setting policies that have consequences
    and getting users to sign a form acknowledging they know the policies is the
    best way to protect your data. Encrypting the files in case they are
    accidently lost or misplaced is also a good strategy.

    --
    Kerry Brown

    Kerry Brown, Jun 3, 2009
  5. Guest

    Re: Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer? Prevent datatheft?

    On Jun 3, 12:03 pm, "Kerry Brown" <*a*m>
    wrote:
    > <> wrote in message

    > > Hi,

    > > Is there a way to tie down a file to a computer to prevent data theft?

    > > The employee of a business could work on a file, save the
    > > modifications, but it would not be possible for the file to be
    > > accessed by someone on another computer. It would not be possible to
    > > copy data and paste it in another document.

    > > I've found a software, but it's very expensive. It allows modifying an
    > > Excel file (and other MS Office files) and it's capable of  tying it
    > > down to a computer. It can block copying data to the clipboard. It
    > > would be nice if copy and paste would be possible within the same
    > > Excel file (since copy and paste saves a lot of time when editing).
    > > The software : Office Security OwnerGuard (http://www.armjisoft.com/?
    > > page=officeownerguard). The free version doesn't allow to decrypt
    > > files.

    > > I know there's software to block USB drives and floppies and
    > > bluetooth... But they don't block emails or web storage... And the
    > > employee in question would need to be able to get and send emails.

    > > Any ideas please?  Is there a jewel somewhere that would allow to
    > > prevent data theft?

    > If you have an all Windows, Active Directory based network this will be very
    > hard for most users to get around.
    >
    > http://www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2003/technologies/rightsmgmt/de...
    >
    > In the end if a user can work with a file there is always a way to copy the
    > information in it, even if they just take screen shots with a camera or
    > manually transcribe the data. Allowing a user to see and use the data
    > implies a certain level of trust. Setting policies that have consequences
    > and getting users to sign a form acknowledging they know the policies is the
    > best way to protect your data. Encrypting the files in case they are
    > accidently lost or misplaced is also a good strategy.
    >
    > --
    > Kerry Brown

    It looks like that Windows RMS would be a great solution.

    I've also found this interesting video from www.LiquidMachines.com :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWnwz0Q5fkc

    They all look to be great solutions, but all very expensive for a
    small business... Let's say the business as five computers and want to
    let one employee modify an Excel file. They wish that the information
    stays on the computer the employee is working on. They also wish that
    the employee is :
    -Able to do modifications to the document.
    -Able to copy and paste within the document
    -Not able to copy from the document to another document or email.
    -Not able to copy the document to an external media or the internet.

    Office Security OwnerGuard seemed promising. The only cons I could
    find is that, when copy paste is disabled, it's not possible to copy
    paste within the same document. Plus it costs 1600$ for a small
    business site license.

    I wish there was a cheaper and less complicated solution to this
    dilemma. A solution with an affordable license for one PC only.

    There is also USB Lock Standard from Advanced Systems
    International : Block or allow Removable Drives: USB (Thumb drives,
    IPods, mp3 players..), Smart cards readers (CF, SD, MMC, XD..) Zip,
    floppy drives. Compact discs:CD's, DVD's. Transceivers:Infrared
    (IrDA), USB Bluetooth. It doesn't encrypt files and doesn't prevent
    emailing a file though.
    http://www.advansysperu.com/usb-lock-standard.html

    , Jun 3, 2009