    condition. They are created using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I
    think this matters) Would burning them slower on the master copy make
    recopying them faster?
    cowboyz, Oct 31, 2004

  2. cowboyz

    DoggNZ Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:48:05 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family. But
    >when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a max 6x read
    >speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read speed?
    >The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material folders in good
    >condition. They are created using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I
    >think this matters) Would burning them slower on the master copy make
    >recopying them faster?

    I managed to get my Sony DVD-ROM\CDRW to rips DVD's faster by flashing
    it with a modified firmware. Do a bit a Googling and see if there's
    anything for your model (or even a manufacturer update that may do the
    same thing).

    --
    BOINC SETI
    DoggNZ, Oct 31, 2004

  3. cowboyz

    MarkH Guest

    "cowboyz" <> wrote in news:cm3q38$7kt$:

    > I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family.
    > But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a
    > max 6x read speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase
    > the read speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in
    > material folders in good condition. They are created using windvd
    > producer or dvdlab (not that I think this matters) Would burning them
    > slower on the master copy make recopying them faster?

    It seems that you have a Pioneer DVD Writer and you can flash it with the
    same Bios as the Pioneer 108 (same drive) go here:
    http://gradius.rpc1.org/

    Later there will be a region-free bios available, but the current one
    unlocks the ripping speed and should solve your problem.

    (remember you are flashing the BIOS at your own risk)

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Nov 1, 2004
  4. cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 11:48:
    > I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family. But
    > when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a max 6x read
    > speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read speed?
    > The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material folders in good
    > condition. They are created using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I
    > think this matters) Would burning them slower on the master copy make
    > recopying them faster?

    I am no expert here, but are you sure that your bottle neck is read
    speed, after all there are a lot more places in the prcessing chain that
    could be throttling the read speed such as Ram Speed CPU utilization
    Disk write speed and so on.

    --
    He was so narrow-minded he could see through a keyhole with both eyes.
    Local 40.9000°S, 174.9830°E | |
    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  5. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    Collector»NZ wrote:
    > cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 11:48:
    >> I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and
    >> family. But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am
    >> getting a max 6x read speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way
    >> to increase the read speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are
    >> stored in material folders in good condition. They are created
    >> using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I think this matters)
    >> Would burning them slower on the master copy make recopying them
    >> faster?
    >>

    > I am no expert here, but are you sure that your bottle neck is read
    > speed, after all there are a lot more places in the prcessing chain
    > that could be throttling the read speed such as Ram Speed CPU
    > utilization Disk write speed and so on.

    I don';t really see it has to do alot else. The dvds are not encrypted.
    All it has to do is dump the data from the dvd to the hard drive. Hard
    drive is a ATA133 seagate so that should surely be well fast enough to get
    16x dvd. CPU is a 2100+ and ram is 512. Do you think it would go faster
    with more of either? The plan is to go 3200+ and another gig of ram the
    next time I go to town. but more related to the dvd encoding rather than
    the copying of old files.
    cowboyz, Nov 1, 2004
  6. cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 14:18:
    > Collector»NZ wrote:
    >
    >>cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 11:48:
    >>
    >>>I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and
    >>>family. But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am
    >>>getting a max 6x read speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way
    >>>to increase the read speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are
    >>>stored in material folders in good condition. They are created
    >>>using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I think this matters)
    >>>Would burning them slower on the master copy make recopying them
    >>>faster?
    >>>

    >>I am no expert here, but are you sure that your bottle neck is read
    >>speed, after all there are a lot more places in the prcessing chain
    >>that could be throttling the read speed such as Ram Speed CPU
    >>utilization Disk write speed and so on.

    > I don';t really see it has to do alot else. The dvds are not encrypted.
    > All it has to do is dump the data from the dvd to the hard drive. Hard
    > drive is a ATA133 seagate so that should surely be well fast enough to get
    > 16x dvd. CPU is a 2100+ and ram is 512. Do you think it would go faster
    > with more of either? The plan is to go 3200+ and another gig of ram the
    > next time I go to town. but more related to the dvd encoding rather than
    > the copying of old files.

    Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    the Hard Disk.
    If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not, is
    it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    I am sure there will be a few replies from people more knowledgeable
    than myself on this subject.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  7. cowboyz

    Harry Guest

    cowboyz wrote:

    > I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family. But
    > when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a max 6x
    > read
    > speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read speed?
    > The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material folders in good
    > condition. They are created using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I
    > think this matters) Would burning them slower on the master copy make
    > recopying them faster?

    A few things to check.

    1. Is DMA enabled on the DVD drive?
    2. Is UDMA enabled in BIOS?
    3. Is DVD drive paired with primary disk drive or is it a secondary drive?
    4. Have you run any disk drive speed tests?
    5. Have you tried disabling write-behind caching on any drive?
    6. At what speed are the arita rated for reading? 6x I suppose.
    Harry, Nov 1, 2004
  8. cowboyz

    MarkH Guest

    Collector»NZ <> wrote in

    > Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    > I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    > the Hard Disk.
    > If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    > Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not,
    > is it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    The DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to discourage piracy, this
    is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the OPs drive with the Asus
    badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives BIOS with cracked
    firmware.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Nov 1, 2004
  9. cowboyz

    MarkH Guest

    Harry <> wrote in

    > cowboyz wrote:
    >
    >> I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family.
    >> But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a
    >> max 6x read
    >> speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read
    >> speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material
    >> folders in good condition. They are created using windvd producer or
    >> dvdlab (not that I think this matters) Would burning them slower on
    >> the master copy make recopying them faster?

    > A few things to check.
    >
    > 1. Is DMA enabled on the DVD drive?
    > 2. Is UDMA enabled in BIOS?
    > 3. Is DVD drive paired with primary disk drive or is it a secondary
    > drive? 4. Have you run any disk drive speed tests?
    > 5. Have you tried disabling write-behind caching on any drive?
    > 6. At what speed are the arita rated for reading? 6x I suppose.

    None of this will help the DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to
    discourage piracy, this is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the
    OPs drive with the Asus badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives
    BIOS with cracked firmware.

    Also the DVD+R disks have a rated speed for how fast they can be written,
    no disks have a speed rating for reading! Please avoid suggesting things
    that would only serve to waste time, stick with suggesting things you
    understand and don't worry about stuff you don't know anything about.

    --
    Mark Heyes (New Zealand)
    See my pics at www.gigatech.co.nz
    understand binary and those that don't"
    MarkH, Nov 1, 2004
  10. MarkH wrote:

    > Harry <> wrote in
    >
    >> cowboyz wrote:
    >>
    >>> I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family.
    >>> But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a
    >>> max 6x read
    >>> speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read
    >>> speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material
    >>> folders in good condition. They are created using windvd producer or
    >>> dvdlab (not that I think this matters) Would burning them slower on
    >>> the master copy make recopying them faster?

    >> A few things to check.
    >>
    >> 1. Is DMA enabled on the DVD drive?
    >> 2. Is UDMA enabled in BIOS?
    >> 3. Is DVD drive paired with primary disk drive or is it a secondary
    >> drive? 4. Have you run any disk drive speed tests?
    >> 5. Have you tried disabling write-behind caching on any drive?
    >> 6. At what speed are the arita rated for reading? 6x I suppose.

    > None of this will help the DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to
    > discourage piracy, this is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the
    > OPs drive with the Asus badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives
    > BIOS with cracked firmware.
    >
    > Also the DVD+R disks have a rated speed for how fast they can be written,
    > no disks have a speed rating for reading! Please avoid suggesting things
    > that would only serve to waste time, stick with suggesting things you
    > understand and don't worry about stuff you don't know anything about.

    That isn't a particularly useful observation.
    The fact is that disks do have rated speeds because the maximum speed
    that a disk can be read depends on what reading modes the disk supports.
    Only mode 1 disks can be read at full speed.

    I think you should stick to suggesting things you understand
    and don't worry about the other stuff.

    Harry's observations about dma are spot on and the most likely cause
    of the problem.
    Collector>>NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  11. MarkH said the following on 1/11/2004 17:56:
    > Harry <> wrote in
    >

    >>cowboyz wrote:
    >>

    >>>I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family.
    >>> But when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a
    >>>max 6x read
    >>>speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read
    >>>speed? The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material
    >>>folders in good condition. They are created using windvd producer or
    >>>dvdlab (not that I think this matters) Would burning them slower on
    >>>the master copy make recopying them faster?

    >>A few things to check.
    >>
    >>1. Is DMA enabled on the DVD drive?
    >>2. Is UDMA enabled in BIOS?
    >>3. Is DVD drive paired with primary disk drive or is it a secondary
    >>drive? 4. Have you run any disk drive speed tests?
    >>5. Have you tried disabling write-behind caching on any drive?
    >>6. At what speed are the arita rated for reading? 6x I suppose.

    > None of this will help the DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to
    > discourage piracy, this is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the
    > OPs drive with the Asus badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives
    > BIOS with cracked firmware.
    >
    > Also the DVD+R disks have a rated speed for how fast they can be written,
    > no disks have a speed rating for reading! Please avoid suggesting things
    > that would only serve to waste time, stick with suggesting things you
    > understand and don't worry about stuff you don't know anything about.

    Mark it appears that Harry Halfwit The village idiot has taken exception
    to your comments and gone to the trouble of spoofing a post from me in
    an attempt to gain some attention for himself.

    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  12. MarkH wrote:

    > Collector»NZ <> wrote in
    >
    >> Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    >> I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    >> the Hard Disk.
    >> If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    >> Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not,
    >> is it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    > The DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to discourage piracy, this
    > is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the OPs drive with the Asus
    > badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives BIOS with cracked
    > firmware.

    Anyhow shouldn't be a big problem unless cowboyz is ripping 1000's of
    his own dvds.
    Collector>>NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  13. cowboyz

    EMB Guest

    MarkH wrote:

    > The DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to discourage piracy, this
    > is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the OPs drive with the Asus
    > badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives BIOS with cracked
    > firmware.

    Presumably this also explains a CD-ROM I have that won't read audio CD's
    at more than 4x despite being a 52x drive.

    --
    EMB
    EMB, Nov 1, 2004
  14. Collector>>NZ said the following on 1/11/2004 19:19:
    > MarkH wrote:
    >

    >>Harry <> wrote in

    >>>A few things to check.
    >>>
    >>>1. Is DMA enabled on the DVD drive?
    >>>2. Is UDMA enabled in BIOS?
    >>>3. Is DVD drive paired with primary disk drive or is it a secondary
    >>>drive? 4. Have you run any disk drive speed tests?
    >>>5. Have you tried disabling write-behind caching on any drive?
    >>>6. At what speed are the arita rated for reading? 6x I suppose.

    >>None of this will help the DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to
    >>discourage piracy, this is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the
    >>OPs drive with the Asus badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives
    >>BIOS with cracked firmware.
    >>
    >>Also the DVD+R disks have a rated speed for how fast they can be written,
    >>no disks have a speed rating for reading! Please avoid suggesting things
    >>that would only serve to waste time, stick with suggesting things you
    >>understand and don't worry about stuff you don't know anything about.

    > That isn't a particularly useful observation.
    > The fact is that disks do have rated speeds because the maximum speed
    > that a disk can be read depends on what reading modes the disk supports.
    > Only mode 1 disks can be read at full speed.
    >
    > I think you should stick to suggesting things you understand
    > and don't worry about the other stuff.
    >
    > Harry's observations about dma are spot on and the most likely cause
    > of the problem.

    Hey Harry Halfit,
    You are wasting your time, you dont have a single clue when attempting
    to forge a post.

    For a start the Nym is wrong I dont use a >>
    Second the posting IP is not Orcons
    inetnum: 222.152.128.0 - 222.152.223.255
    netname: FIPD-XTRA-NZ
    descr: Telecom Xtra
    descr: DSL Dynamic Pools
    country: NZ
    admin-c: TNZ1-AP
    tech-c: TNZ1-AP
    notify: abuse at xtra.co.nz
    notify: nic at netgate.net.nz
    mnt-by: NZTELECOM
    changed: dbk1 at netgate.net.nz 20041021
    status: ALLOCATED NON-PORTABLE
    source: APNIC
    For a third I wouldnt be caught dead using a second rate program like
    Microsoft Outlook Express 6.00.2800.1402
    Fourth I am not scared I might be quoted I dont set X-No Archive to yes
    And finally Message ID <>

    You **** yourself in a big way and any more of this shit and it will be
    just more than me in the community that will be on your back

    Collector»NZ, Nov 1, 2004
  15. cowboyz

    GraB Guest

    On Mon, 1 Nov 2004 11:48:05 +1300, "cowboyz" <> wrote:

    >I create quite a few home dvd movies and copy for friends and family. But
    >when I rip them to recopy them using claddvd.net I am getting a max 6x read
    >speed off a asus 16x dvd rom. Is there a way to increase the read speed?
    >The discs are arita 4x DVD+R and are stored in material folders in good
    >condition. They are created using windvd producer or dvdlab (not that I
    >think this matters) Would burning them slower on the master copy make
    >recopying them faster?

    Read speeds of burned DVDs are always slower than pressed (single
    layer) ones, according to the various DVD drive reviews I have seen.
    GraB, Nov 1, 2004
  16. cowboyz

    Geronimo Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:42:12 +1300, Collector»NZ <>
    wrote:

    >cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 14:18:
    >> Collector»NZ wrote:

    >>>I am no expert here, but are you sure that your bottle neck is read
    >>>speed, after all there are a lot more places in the prcessing chain
    >>>that could be throttling the read speed such as Ram Speed CPU
    >>>utilization Disk write speed and so on.

    >> I don';t really see it has to do alot else. The dvds are not encrypted.
    >> All it has to do is dump the data from the dvd to the hard drive. Hard
    >> drive is a ATA133 seagate so that should surely be well fast enough to get
    >> 16x dvd. CPU is a 2100+ and ram is 512. Do you think it would go faster
    >> with more of either? The plan is to go 3200+ and another gig of ram the
    >> next time I go to town. but more related to the dvd encoding rather than
    >> the copying of old files.
    >>

    >Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    >I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    >the Hard Disk.
    >If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    >Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not, is
    >it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    Yes the DVD Drive and HD should not be on the same Controler port..

    Geronimo, Nov 1, 2004
  17. cowboyz

    Barry Gibb Guest

    Geronimo wrote:

    > On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 14:42:12 +1300, Collector»NZ
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>cowboyz said the following on 1/11/2004 14:18:

    >>> I don';t really see it has to do alot else. The dvds are not encrypted.
    >>> All it has to do is dump the data from the dvd to the hard drive. Hard
    >>> drive is a ATA133 seagate so that should surely be well fast enough to
    >>> get
    >>> 16x dvd. CPU is a 2100+ and ram is 512. Do you think it would go
    >>> faster
    >>> with more of either? The plan is to go 3200+ and another gig of ram the
    >>> next time I go to town. but more related to the dvd encoding rather
    >>> than the copying of old files.
    >>>

    >>Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    >>I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    >>the Hard Disk.
    >>If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    >>Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not, is
    >>it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    > Yes the DVD Drive and HD should not be on the same Controler port..

    Yes, dma is one thing to look at, and not sharing the same wire is
    the other. A wire can only carry one signal at a time.

    And, although a cpu can only do one thing at a time, dma transfers
    can occur mostly concurrently to cpu activity.
    Barry Gibb, Nov 1, 2004
  18. cowboyz

    Ryan Jacobs Guest

    On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 19:34:28 +1300, Collector»NZ
    <> provided this moment of wisdom:

    Hmmm, spoofing a spoofed post in order to try and appear that
    collector is spoofing himself???

    Geezus Harry! WTF. Soooo transparent!

    The more Harry plays this game..... the more Harry resembles
    wogor.........

    We know where wogor lives.... and we know where Harry lives.......

    Sow the seed punk.....for thou shall reap thou seeds's crop (or words
    to that effect).

    /Begin Sig
    Vs lbh pna ernq guvf......
    Lbh haqrefgnaq gur onfvpf :)
    Ohg, lbh unir sne gbb zhpu serr gvzr
    /End Sig
    Ryan Jacobs, Nov 1, 2004
  19. On Mon, 01 Nov 2004 04:52:18 +0000, MarkH wrote:

    > The DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to discourage piracy, this
    > is normal.

    If this was mine, I'd be having a serious whinge at the vendor - if it
    says 16x, it had better be capable of 16x. I'm not paying them to look
    after someone else's interests. And if it even does it on unencrypted
    discs, that's even worse.

    Richard
    Richard Hector, Nov 1, 2004
  20. cowboyz

    cowboyz Guest

    <Collector> wrote in message news:...
    > MarkH wrote:
    >
    > > Collector»NZ <> wrote in
    > >
    > >> Okat because you said rip I assumed there was some processing as well.
    > >> I take it you are just doing a file copy from the DVD to the folder on
    > >> the Hard Disk.
    > >> If that is the case then you have some I/O problem.
    > >> Potential to look at is is the DVD configured to run with DMA or not,
    > >> is it in the best postion on the drive chain etc.

    > > The DVD drive has been speed limited on ripping to discourage piracy,

    this
    > > is normal. For Pioneer drives (which includes the OPs drive with the

    Asus
    > > badge) the simple solution is to flash the drives BIOS with cracked
    > > firmware.

    > Anyhow shouldn't be a big problem unless cowboyz is ripping 1000's of
    > his own dvds.

    it is not so much of a problem rather than a hassle and a small one at that.
    Just irritating trying to get my machine to do what I want as fast as it can
    and the DVD drive running at half speed. FWIW I have done 3 DVDs in the
    past month cause we recently had a family reunion and some family members
    wanted some videos recopied for others. So I am not spending a wad of time
    waiting for it to copy but it would just be nice if a 16x dvd would read at
    16x. Now that I think about it more the whole 16x just seems like a
    marketing ploy anyway. After all, it can't rip at 16x. When you are
    playing a DVD it is only playing at 1x not 16x. and then the funny thing is
    you can fast forward a DVD at 32x when playing it and if its only a 16x DVD
    then the drive shouldn't be able to keep up should it??
    cowboyz, Nov 1, 2004