    longer work correctly. Are you sure you want to move it to the
    Recycle Bin?
    Yes Yes to All No Cancel

    Sharon, May 25, 2008

  2. Klaus Jorgensen, May 25, 2008

  3. Sharon

    Leonard Grey Guest

    Re: Is there a way to permanently turn off the Windows Thumbs.dbwarning?

    Thumbs is a file just like any other file...you can't accord one file
    special treatment.

    ---
    Leonard Grey
    Errare humanum est

    Leonard Grey, May 25, 2008
  4. Sharon

    Sharon Guest

    On Sun, 25 May 2008 04:34:47 -0400, Leonard Grey wrote:

    > Thumbs is a file just like any other file...you can't accord one file
    > special treatment.

    But, maybe we can make it NOT a system file?????

    Is there a setting for which filename extensions (e.g., db) are
    specifically SYSTEM files?

    If we could make *.db not a system file, we wouldn't be getting that
    warning (why the heck is Thumbs.db a system file anyway)?

    Sharon, May 25, 2008
  5. Sharon

    Matt Ion Guest

    Sharon wrote:
    > On Sun, 25 May 2008 04:34:47 -0400, Leonard Grey wrote:
    >
    >> Thumbs is a file just like any other file...you can't accord one file
    >> special treatment.

    > But, maybe we can make it NOT a system file?????
    >
    > Is there a setting for which filename extensions (e.g., db) are
    > specifically SYSTEM files?

    It's a file *attribute*, stored in the filesystem, and not specific to
    any filename or extension. The standard attributes are Read-Only,
    System, Hidden, and Archive - right-click any file, and go to
    Properties, and you'll see two of them. The others can be seen and
    changed using the ATTRIB command.

    > If we could make *.db not a system file, we wouldn't be getting that
    > warning

    From a command line, "ATTRIB -s <filename>" will remove the system
    attribute on a file, but you'd have to use some sort of global command
    processor to do this system-wide. You can do it in 4DOS/4NT with the
    command:
    GLOBAL /i attrib -s \thumbs.db

    However, any new thumbs.db files created, WILL be created with the
    System attribute set.

    > (why the heck is Thumbs.db a system file anyway)?

    When you view a folder full of pictures in Thumbnails or Filmstrip view,
    you'll notice the thumbnails appear one by one... this is Windows
    creating the Thumbs.db file, containing all the thumbnail data for that
    folder. If you never use Thumbnails or Filmstrip view, you won't
    generate the Thumbs.db file.

    Matt Ion, May 26, 2008