Is there a way to install a file which is not in accord with "system requirements"

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by deet@sorry.me, Aug 26, 2007.

  1. Guest

    I have an old software version of PrintArtist 4.0 (Platinum) which I
    uninstalled when I upgraded to PrintArtist 8.0. The system
    requirements for the old version of PA4 lists the operating systems
    that are acceptable as Windows 3.1 and Win 95. I have Win98SE, and
    when I try to reinstall I get the error message "Integer divided by
    0".
    I have no idea of what that means.

    What I find puzzling is that when I added a new hardrive with much
    more memory than I had before, and upgraded to Win 98SE, PA4 worked
    fine. Of course the technician at the computer store transferred
    everything I had on my small drive to the bigger drive so I could use
    PA4.0 , which I like better than the newer versions.

    Looking forward to your advice--which has helped me so much in the
    past.

    TIA

    --
    ddeet

    , Aug 26, 2007

  2. chuckie® Guest

    And which OS are you using now?????

    chuckie®, Aug 26, 2007

  3. WhzzKdd Guest

    <> wrote in message
    >I have an old software version of PrintArtist 4.0 (Platinum) which I
    > uninstalled when I upgraded to PrintArtist 8.0. The system
    > requirements for the old version of PA4 lists the operating systems
    > that are acceptable as Windows 3.1 and Win 95. I have Win98SE, and
    > when I try to reinstall I get the error message "Integer divided by
    > 0".
    > I have no idea of what that means.
    >
    > What I find puzzling is that when I added a new hardrive with much
    > more memory than I had before, and upgraded to Win 98SE, PA4 worked
    > fine. Of course the technician at the computer store transferred
    > everything I had on my small drive to the bigger drive so I could use
    > PA4.0 , which I like better than the newer versions.
    >
    > Looking forward to your advice--which has helped me so much in the
    > past.

    First, I'd uninstall the existing copy, delete any leftover files or
    folders, and try again. You could also check into the compatibility mode.

    WhzzKdd, Aug 26, 2007
  4. wrote:

    > I have an old software version of PrintArtist 4.0 (Platinum) which I
    > uninstalled when I upgraded to PrintArtist 8.0. The system
    > requirements for the old version of PA4 lists the operating systems
    > that are acceptable as Windows 3.1 and Win 95. I have Win98SE, and
    > when I try to reinstall I get the error message "Integer divided by
    > 0".
    > I have no idea of what that means.

    Maybe your new pc is too fast for the time delay loops programmed in the
    print artist version. You can try tools to slow it down.

    wisdomkiller & pain, Aug 26, 2007
  5. philo Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > I have an old software version of PrintArtist 4.0 (Platinum) which I
    > uninstalled when I upgraded to PrintArtist 8.0. The system
    > requirements for the old version of PA4 lists the operating systems
    > that are acceptable as Windows 3.1 and Win 95. I have Win98SE, and
    > when I try to reinstall I get the error message "Integer divided by
    > 0".
    > I have no idea of what that means.
    >
    > What I find puzzling is that when I added a new hardrive with much
    > more memory than I had before, and upgraded to Win 98SE, PA4 worked
    > fine. Of course the technician at the computer store transferred
    > everything I had on my small drive to the bigger drive so I could use
    > PA4.0 , which I like better than the newer versions.
    >
    > Looking forward to your advice--which has helped me so much in the
    > past.

    If you simply added a larger drive and more memory...then the software must
    be having a problem with the increased
    memory...there is probably a vcache entry you will have to tweak.

    OTOH: If you have referred to a new *computer* as a "harddrive"...
    I think I know what the problem is.
    If you have a new machine...it's CPU speed as a lot faster than your old
    machine.

    Some of the very old software simply will not work with a faster CPU.

    If you really want to use the old software...you may want to hang on to your
    old machine

    philo, Aug 26, 2007
  6. Chris Guest

    Integer divide by zero happens when the hardware test portion of setup fails
    to identify newer hardware. To correct this issue, search for file
    sierra.ini, delete, run install again without the system test. Have used
    with PA 4.5 running XP.

    Chris, Aug 27, 2007
  8. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:21:53 -0400, "chuckie®" <>
    wrote:

    >And which OS are you using now?????

    I am using Win 98SE.

    --
    deet

    , Aug 27, 2007
  9. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 14:31:45 -0700, "WhzzKdd"
    <frack_this@email_is.invalid> wrote:

    (snip)

    >First, I'd uninstall the existing copy, delete any leftover files or
    >folders, and try again. You could also check into the compatibility mode.

    PA4.0 has been uninstalled. Do you mean I should uninstall PA 8.0?

    --
    deet

    , Aug 27, 2007
  10. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 17:08:35 -0500, "philo" <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> I have an old software version of PrintArtist 4.0 (Platinum) which I
    >> uninstalled when I upgraded to PrintArtist 8.0. The system
    >> requirements for the old version of PA4 lists the operating systems
    >> that are acceptable as Windows 3.1 and Win 95. I have Win98SE, and
    >> when I try to reinstall I get the error message "Integer divided by
    >> 0".
    >> I have no idea of what that means.
    >>
    >> What I find puzzling is that when I added a new hardrive with much
    >> more memory than I had before, and upgraded to Win 98SE, PA4 worked
    >> fine. Of course the technician at the computer store transferred
    >> everything I had on my small drive to the bigger drive so I could use
    >> PA4.0 , which I like better than the newer versions.
    >>
    >> Looking forward to your advice--which has helped me so much in the
    >> past.
    >>

    >If you simply added a larger drive and more memory...then the software must
    >be having a problem with the increased
    >memory...there is probably a vcache entry you will have to tweak.
    >
    >OTOH: If you have referred to a new *computer* as a "harddrive"...
    >I think I know what the problem is.
    >If you have a new machine...it's CPU speed as a lot faster than your old
    >machine.
    >
    >Some of the very old software simply will not work with a faster CPU.
    >
    >If you really want to use the old software...you may want to hang on to your
    >old machine

    I still have my old
    machine. I just got a bigger harddrive and a newer operating system ,
    i.e. I went from Win 95 to Win 98SE.

    How do I find which vcache to tweak, and how do I tweak it.

    Sorry I have so little understanding of some of the terms you
    used--but I am trying.

    --
    deet
    TIA

    , Aug 27, 2007
  11. Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:02:36 +1000, "Chris" <none@none> wrote:

    >Integer divide by zero happens when the hardware test portion of setup fails
    >to identify newer hardware. To correct this issue, search for file
    >sierra.ini, delete, run install again without the system test. Have used
    >with PA 4.5 running XP.

    Hi Chris:

    Thanks for explaining the error message. Since I uninstalled PA4.0 do
    you mean I should delete the sierra..ini which is part of PA 8?

    Then If after PA 4.0 installs o.k. do I need to reinstall PA 8's
    system.ini which I deleted?

    TIA

    --
    deet

    , Aug 27, 2007
  12. Guest

    On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:55:26 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    <> wrote:

    (snip)
    >Maybe your new pc is too fast for the time delay loops programmed in the
    >print artist version. You can try tools to slow it down.

    What tools can slow my pc down?
    I have an old version of a gin rummy game I can't use because the
    cards flash around so quickly so I' d like to try a slowdown tool.
    If I do slow down the pc, will my newer software still work correctly?

    TIA

    --
    deet

    , Aug 27, 2007
  13. nobody > Guest

    Re: Is there a way to install a file which is not in accord with"system requirements"

    wrote:
    > On Sun, 26 Aug 2007 23:55:26 +0200, wisdomkiller & pain
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > (snip)
    >> Maybe your new pc is too fast for the time delay loops programmed in the
    >> print artist version. You can try tools to slow it down.

    > What tools can slow my pc down?
    > I have an old version of a gin rummy game I can't use because the
    > cards flash around so quickly so I' d like to try a slowdown tool.
    > If I do slow down the pc, will my newer software still work correctly?
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > --
    > deet

    Most of these "slowdown" programs should be set up to run with the
    program being slowed, usually with a batch file. You run the batch file
    to run the programs. Almost every one of there has a scaling parameter.

    I've go a fair amount of experience making old Motorola radio software
    run on newer machines. One particular program wouldn't read the radio
    until it was slowed down by 97%.

    http://groups.google.com/groups?q=slowdown utility&ie=UTF-8&

    http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-32,GGGL:en&q=slowdown utility

    Be aware that not all 'downers' work with all programs. I used mo'slo
    for most of the radio work, but one program would corrupt radios if
    mo'slo was used. I'm talking over 13 years ago, so I can't say what
    works now.

    nobody >, Aug 27, 2007
  14. Chris Guest

    Hi Deet;
    The install of PA should take care of sierra.ini, there is no reason to
    re-install PA 8,s ini, you are only causing problems. My original message
    was based of extract from tech support at sierra which is no longer
    available. I believe Sierra have sold or discontinued PA series, and
    therefore are not offering tech support. Might want to look at this site
    http://www.printartist.com could offer more assistance.

    Chris, Aug 28, 2007
  15. Guest

    On Mon, 27 Aug 2007 10:05:22 -0700, "nobody >"
    <> wrote:

    >Most of these "slowdown" programs should be set up to run with the
    >program being slowed, usually with a batch file. You run the batch file
    >to run the programs. Almost every one of there has a scaling parameter.
    >
    >I've go a fair amount of experience making old Motorola radio software
    >run on newer machines. One particular program wouldn't read the radio
    >until it was slowed down by 97%.
    >
    >http://groups.google.com/groups?q=slowdown utility&ie=UTF-8&
    >
    >http://www.google.com/search?tab=gw&ie=UTF-8&rls=GGGL,GGGL:2006-32,GGGL:en&q=slowdown utility
    >
    >Be aware that not all 'downers' work with all programs. I used mo'slo
    >for most of the radio work, but one program would corrupt radios if
    >mo'slo was used. I'm talking over 13 years ago, so I can't say what
    >works now.

    thanks for your advice.

    --
    -deet

    , Aug 28, 2007
  16. Guest

    On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 09:43:32 +1000, "Chris" <none@none> wrote:

    >Hi Deet;
    >The install of PA should take care of sierra.ini, there is no reason to
    >re-install PA 8,s ini, you are only causing problems. My original message
    >was based of extract from tech support at sierra which is no longer
    >available. I believe Sierra have sold or discontinued PA series, and
    >therefore are not offering tech support. Might want to look at this site
    >http://www.printartist.com could offer more assistance.

    Hi Chris:

    Thanks again for your answer to my second question to you.

    I think I finally understand what to do.

    --

    deet

    , Aug 28, 2007
  17. chuckie® Guest

    Sorry about that, I reread your original post and I should have realized
    that...
    My suggestion, which, I believe, is echoed throughout the replies here:
    Completely uninstall *all* versions and then restart. Then install your
    preferred version, see if that works....luck

    chuckie®, Aug 28, 2007