    Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
    one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
    account? Thanks in advance.
    M.L., Aug 7, 2005

  2. M.L.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message
    news:...

    > Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
    > one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
    > account? Thanks in advance.

    Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.
    Toolman Tim, Aug 7, 2005

  3. M.L.

    Mike Easter Guest

    Toolman Tim wrote:
    > "M.L."

    >> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
    >> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
    >> account? Thanks in advance.
    >>

    > Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

    Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
    'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
    about money and a lot cheaper lesson.

    Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

    Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
    paper?

    If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

    Maybe you should disable the printing.

    --
    Mike Easter
    Mike Easter, Aug 7, 2005
  4. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >>> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
    >>> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
    >>> account? Thanks in advance.

    >> Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

    I can't be around them all the time. In fact, they never print
    anything when I'm around. What do I do if they print even after being
    told not to?

    >Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
    >'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
    >about money and a lot cheaper lesson.
    >
    >Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

    What do I do if they disobey such a command?

    >Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
    >paper?

    It is impractical to keep the paper under lock and key. They know how
    to replenish paper. Two of them have enough money to buy their own
    paper.

    >If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

    They don't bother hiding their printouts.

    >Maybe you should disable the printing.

    That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
    to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
    program that can password protect a printer?
    M.L., Aug 7, 2005
  5. M.L.

    Don Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message

    > >> Sure. Who's in charge there? Tell the kids to stop printing.

    > I can't be around them all the time. In fact, they never print
    > anything when I'm around. What do I do if they print even after being
    > told not to?
    >
    > >Aww. Kids think printing things is a lot of fun. Give them a printing
    > >'budget'. It will be good to teach some restraint that might be useful
    > >about money and a lot cheaper lesson.
    > >
    > >Tell them they can only print x number of pages per y.

    > What do I do if they disobey such a command?
    >
    > >Or else you'll remove their printing privileges. Who controls the
    > >paper?

    > It is impractical to keep the paper under lock and key. They know how
    > to replenish paper. Two of them have enough money to buy their own
    > paper.
    >
    > >If you don't control the paper, they'll hide their printouts.

    > They don't bother hiding their printouts.
    >
    > >Maybe you should disable the printing.

    > That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
    > to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
    > program that can password protect a printer?

    I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then remove the
    inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).
    Don, Aug 7, 2005
  6. M.L.

    Binky Guest

    Binky, Aug 7, 2005
  7. M.L.

    Dave Lear Guest

    "M.L." <> wrote in message

    > Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for
    > the adults and one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing
    > on the kid's account? Thanks in advance.

    Assuming your account is a member of Power Users or Administrators and your
    kids accounts aren't...

    Start

    Printers and Faxes

    Right-click on the printer

    From the pop-up choose Properties

    Security tab

    Select Everyone and remove the tick for Print permission

    OK
    Dave Lear, Aug 7, 2005
  8. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    >> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for the adults and
    >> one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing on the kid's
    >> account? Thanks in advance.

    >This might do what you want. I haven't tried it myself and it sounds as
    >though it is directed at networks rather than user accounts. I don't know if
    >it's time limited either.
    >
    >http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utilities/Misc__Utilities/Alagus_Print_Admin_Pro_Download.html

    The app above is meant for networked printers (which does not apply to
    me). It is also somewhat difficult to configure. Thanks for your
    reply, and I'd also like to thank the others who replied.
    M.L., Aug 7, 2005
  9. M.L.

    M.L. Guest

    <snip>

    >> That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be available
    >> to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there a software
    >> program that can password protect a printer?
    >>

    >I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then remove the
    >inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).

    That's too much trouble considering that most of the users are not
    hardware savvy. Such frequent removals might eventually damage the
    cartridge anyway, Thanks for the advice.
    M.L., Aug 7, 2005
  10. M.L. <> wrote in

    > <snip>
    >
    >>> That's exactly why I posted here. I want the printer to be
    >>> available to other adult visitors when I'm not around. Is there
    >>> a software program that can password protect a printer?
    >>>

    >>I assume you are concerned about the high ink refill costs. Then
    >>remove the inkjet cartridge or the expensive color one(s).

    > That's too much trouble considering that most of the users are not
    > hardware savvy. Such frequent removals might eventually damage the
    > cartridge anyway, Thanks for the advice.

    Then almost anything else is going to be too much trouble anyway. It
    seems to be too much trouble to do any research yourself so why would I
    want to do it.

    Top

    --
    Freedom is never free....
    Top (retired), Aug 7, 2005
  11. M.L.

    PC Guest

    "Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    > "M.L." <> wrote in message
    >
    >> Hi. My WinXP Home computer has two accounts, one for
    >> the adults and one for kids. Is there a way to disable printing
    >> on the kid's account? Thanks in advance.

    > Assuming your account is a member of Power Users or Administrators and
    > your kids accounts aren't...
    >
    > Start
    >
    > Printers and Faxes
    >
    > Right-click on the printer
    >
    > From the pop-up choose Properties
    >
    > Security tab
    >
    > Select Everyone and remove the tick for Print permission
    >
    > OK

    mmm, no Security tab here.
    XP Pro
    HPDeskjet950

    Paul.
    PC, Aug 7, 2005
  12. M.L.

    Guest

    "PC" <> wrote:

    |>"Dave Lear" <> wrote in message
    |>> "M.L." <> wrote in message

    |>> Assuming your account is a member of Power Users or Administrators and
    |>> your kids accounts aren't...
    |>>
    |>> Start
    |>>
    |>> Printers and Faxes
    |>>
    |>> Right-click on the printer
    |>>
    |>> From the pop-up choose Properties
    |>>
    |>> Security tab
    |>>
    |>> Select Everyone and remove the tick for Print permission
    |>>
    |>> OK

    |>mmm, no Security tab here.
    |>XP Pro
    |>HPDeskjet950

    XP Pro is different, you can start/run SECPOL.MSC or GPEDIT.MSC to
    disable printing - don't need no stinking security tab.
    --
    http://www.planettribes.com/allyourbase/AYB2.swf
    , Aug 7, 2005