    entry "Enabled."

    How can I disable Smart Monitoring on this system?

    Thanks ...

    Foster, May 28, 2006

  2. Foster

    Toolman Tim Guest

    In news:,
    Foster spewed forth:
    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Win98 SE computer with a Maxtor HD, running Pheonix 4.06.1.05
    > BIOS. I would like to diable Smart Monitoring on the drive, but after
    > entering the Setup screens, the BIOS will not let me move the cursor
    > into the the field labeled "Smart Monitoring" which now contains the
    > entry "Enabled."
    >
    > How can I disable Smart Monitoring on this system?
    >
    > Thanks ...

    You might try the drive manufacturer's diagnostic utilitities - I know some
    of them turn S.M.A.R.T. on and off at the drive level.

    But WHY would you turn it off? It's there to keep you informed when you are
    beginning to have problems, instead of AFTER the drive dies...

    Toolman Tim, May 28, 2006

  3. Foster

    Mike Easter Guest

    Foster wrote:

    > I have a Win98 SE computer with a Maxtor HD, running Pheonix 4.06.1.05
    > BIOS. I would like to diable Smart Monitoring on the drive, but after
    > entering the Setup screens, the BIOS will not let me move the cursor
    > into the the field labeled "Smart Monitoring" which now contains the
    > entry "Enabled."

    Maybe you are confusing the POST screen with the Setup function.

    > How can I disable Smart Monitoring on this system?

    During the post, you should be able to enter setup and go to the
    Advanced BIOS features which is where you enable and disable SMART.

    I haven't heard of not being able to flip the SMART in the Advanced bios
    of Setup.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2006
  4. Foster

    Mike Easter Guest

    Foster wrote:

    > entering the Setup screens, the BIOS will not let me move the cursor

    You don't have a cursor in the bios setup functions, the selections are
    brighter. You navigate with the arrow keys, enter the selected submenu
    with the enter key

    > into the the field labeled "Smart Monitoring" which now contains the
    > entry "Enabled."

    When you have navigated to Advanced BIOS menu from the Setup main menu
    by using the arrow keys and enter, you navigate to the Smart monitoring
    with the arrow keys and use the +/- to flip the value from enabled to
    disabled.

    > How can I disable Smart Monitoring on this system?

    Maxtor sez you can't do it any other way than in the bios.

    http://maxtor.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/maxtor.cfg/php/enduser/olh_adp.php?p_faqid=1547
    // How do I disable S.M.A.R.T.?

    Answer
    S.M.A.R.T. monitoring can only be disabled from the system BIOS.
    S.M.A.R.T. remains enabled on the drive. If S.M.A.R.T. is disabled from
    the system BIOS it will not poll the hard drive for S.M.A.R.T.
    attributes during system startup.

    If you cannot find the S.M.A.R.T. option in the system BIOS please
    consult your system manufacturer or manual. //

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, May 28, 2006
  5. Foster

    7 Guest

    Foster wrote:

    > Hello,
    >
    > I have a Win98 SE computer with a Maxtor HD, running Pheonix 4.06.1.05
    > BIOS. I would like to diable Smart Monitoring on the drive, but after
    > entering the Setup screens, the BIOS will not let me move the cursor
    > into the the field labeled "Smart Monitoring" which now contains the
    > entry "Enabled."
    >
    > How can I disable Smart Monitoring on this system?
    >
    > Thanks ...

    Boot with livecds
    http://www.livecdlist.com
    or change motherboard and avoid purchasing any Phoenix Bios - e.g.
    ebuyer.com are selling 1.4GHz AMD with mboard with AMI BIOS for
    about 50 pounds - make sure to check which bios is being sold
    with your mboard as they sell all sorts.

    7, May 28, 2006