    Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type ( jpg,
    doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.

    Thanks for any assistance.

    Jer, Jul 2, 2007

  2. Jer

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jer wrote:
    > I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file
    > extension. I have tried using properties to determine the file type,
    > but that only shows if there is an extension.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type
    > ( jpg, doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    The easiest place to start is with a hex viewer so that you can see the
    first part of the file's hex.

    Someone probably makes a magical hex viewer that also has smart
    analytical algo's so that it can read the hex and report the filetype --
    instead of depending upon a 'dumb' human's eyeballs working the hex.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 2, 2007

  3. Jer

    pcbutts1 Guest

    Irfanview might tell you http://www.irfanview.com/

    pcbutts1, Jul 2, 2007
  4. Jer

    Tony Tee Guest

    > Irfanview might tell you http://www.irfanview.com/

    Does it have the option to rotate 10 pictures at the same time 90degrees to
    the right?
    (For my pics that need rotating after I've taken the pic at an angle with my
    camera).

    Tony Tee, Jul 2, 2007
  5. Jer

    WhzzKdd Guest

    "Tony Tee" <> wrote in message

    >> Irfanview might tell you http://www.irfanview.com/

    > Does it have the option to rotate 10 pictures at the same time 90degrees
    > to the right?
    > (For my pics that need rotating after I've taken the pic at an angle with
    > my camera).

    Probably - it has the most extensive set of bulk file operations I've seen.
    Since it's free, download it and go play <g>

    WhzzKdd, Jul 3, 2007
  6. Jer

    philo Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    > I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file

    extension.
    > I have tried using properties to determine the file type, but that only
    > shows if there is an extension.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type (

    jpg,
    > doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    try VLC (it will come up on a Google search)

    otherwise, as mentioned look at the file headers using a hex (or even a
    text ) editior...

    philo, Jul 3, 2007
  7. On Jul 3, 6:48 am, "Jer" <> wrote:
    > I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file extension.
    > I have tried using properties to determine the file type, but that only
    > shows if there is an extension.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type ( jpg,
    > doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    G'day Jer,
    not sure if you have access to a linux or unix box, but there is a
    command called "file" which tries to determine the file type based on
    it's content.

    hth

    Brett

    Electric Monk, Jul 3, 2007
  8. Jer

    83LowRider Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote in message
    >I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file
    >extension.
    > I have tried using properties to determine the file type, but that only
    > shows if there is an extension.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type (
    > jpg,
    > doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    Windows?

    In WINDOWS explorer > TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS>
    VIEW and then uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN
    FILE TYPES

    83LowRider, Jul 3, 2007
  9. Jer

    Evan Platt Guest

    On Tue, 03 Jul 2007 03:37:14 GMT, "83LowRider"
    <> wrote:

    >Windows?
    >
    >In WINDOWS explorer > TOOLS > FOLDER OPTIONS>
    >VIEW and then uncheck HIDE EXTENSIONS FOR KNOWN
    >FILE TYPES

    Did you miss where the OP stated the files have no extensions?

    Evan Platt, Jul 3, 2007
  10. Jer

    Jer Guest

    Yes I'm running windows XP Pro

    Jer, Jul 3, 2007
  11. > "Jer" <> wrote in message

    > I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file
    > extension. I have tried using properties to determine the file type,
    > but that only shows if there is an extension.

    "Jer" <> wrote in

    > Yes I'm running windows XP Pro
    >

    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and
    > determine the type (jpg, doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    Yeah! Here's the one you want: It's called Windows Explorer and you already
    have it. While in an adminstrator's account, double-click the My Computer
    icon; click "Tools" then "Folder Options"; click the "View" tab.

    In the "Advanced settings:" window, scroll down and click teh "Show hidden
    files and folders" radio button and further down *uncheck* "Hide extensions
    for known file types".

    Apply and OK out of there. You shouldn't have to reboot, but it'll give you
    a dialog if it's required. I would, but that's just the way I roll...

    Here's a chart, if you want to look up more information on the files'
    extensions, which would now be displayed:

    http://8help.osu.edu/3297.html

    --

    http://tinyurl.com/35r7xx

    If: Your girlfriend's hairdo was once ruined by a ceiling fan,
    or you think a woman who is "out of your league" bowls on a
    different night of the week, or you've been married 3 times
    and still have the same in-laws,

    then, you *might* be bona-fide trailer trash!

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 3, 2007
  12. Jer

    Whiskers Guest

    On 2007-07-02, Jer <> wrote:
    > I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file extension.
    > I have tried using properties to determine the file type, but that only
    > shows if there is an extension.
    >
    > Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type ( jpg,
    > doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.
    >
    > Thanks for any assistance.

    You could try using one of the free 'Live CD' Linux distros to see if that
    knows what your file is - only Windows depends on file-names to tell it
    what to do with files, real OSs actually examine the contents of the file
    itself.

    Opening the file with a text editor (notepad?) might reveal useful clues;
    a hex editor might too, if you have one (but I'm guessing you haven't, or
    you wouldn't be asking this question).

    --
    -- ^^^^^^^^^^
    -- Whiskers

    Whiskers, Jul 3, 2007
  13. Jer

    Guest

    "Jer" <> wrote:

    >I have several file, some of them videos, that do not have a file extension.
    >I have tried using properties to determine the file type, but that only
    >shows if there is an extension.
    >
    >Are there any programs that can examine a file and determine the type ( jpg,
    >doc, avi, mpg, etc) of file it is.

    There's FileAlyzer

    But it's strength is in it's hex view. Usually the first few letters
    in a file will indicate what type of file it is, MZ=executable BM=BMP
    PK=Zip.

    There are old DOS files that will do this,
    http://mark0.net/soft-trid-e.html Might be what your looking for.
    (found this by accident it was in my old Bin file :} )

    --
    Microsoft apologizes for "Ultimate Extras" embarrassment
    (Vista Ultimate) http://tinyurl.com/ytefpm

    , Jul 3, 2007
  14. Jer

    Jer Guest

    I've already tried this. The file extension is not hidden, it is just not
    there.

    "Bucky Breeder" <> wrote in
    message news:Xns996291A9B7C57DRiVEBYESLY@216.151.153.21...

    Jer, Jul 7, 2007
  15. Jer

    Mike Easter Guest

    Jer wrote:
    > I've already tried this.

    When you top post like you are doing, you aren't communicating
    effectively.

    When you say "I've already tried this." you aren't saying exactly what
    it is you have already tried. A number of suggestions have been made.

    You have to either restate exactly what you are thinking about when you
    say 'this', or else you have to structure your remarks in such a way
    that the 'this' part is directly responsive to which 'this' you are
    talking about.

    In order to do that properly, you need to trim away everything to which
    you are *NOT* meaning is 'this' and put your "I've already tried this."
    words directly underneath the sentence which you are replying, after an
    empty line.

    Like this:

    http://members.fortunecity.com/nnqweb/nquote.html How should I use the
    quoted text and arrange it with my own text?

    If your post had looked like this:

    ---------
    Jer wrote:
    > "Bucky Breeder"

    > In the "Advanced settings:" window, scroll down and click teh "Show
    > hidden files and folders" radio button and further down *uncheck*
    > "Hide extensions for known file types".

    > I've already tried this. The file extension is not hidden, it is just
    > not there.

    ---------

    Then you would have been communicating, conversing in a conversational
    way.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 7, 2007
  16. Jer

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:

    > If your post had looked like this:

    I made a mistake in my recommendation.

    The original reply from Jer to Bucky which I used to cut and paste and
    restructure was missing cite marks on Bucky's words, because besides top
    posting, Jer also hasn't configured his OE for any cite mark. So, if
    I'm going to display a reformatted correction, I should also introduce
    the appropriate cite marks as if I were citing a correct Jer reply -or-
    format it as if Jer were saying it.

    ---------
    Jer wrote:
    > "Bucky Breeder"

    >> In the "Advanced settings:" window, scroll down and click teh "Show
    >> hidden files and folders" radio button and further down *uncheck*
    >> "Hide extensions for known file types".

    > I've already tried this. The file extension is not hidden, it is just
    > not there.

    ---------

    <Jer should have trimmed & contextualized to say>

    "Bucky Breeder"

    Mike Easter, Jul 7, 2007
  17. On Jul 7, 10:33 am, "Mike Easter" <> wrote:
    > Mike Easter wrote:
    > > If your post had looked like this:

    > I made a mistake in my recommendation.
    >
    > The original reply from Jer to Bucky which I used to cut and paste and
    > restructure was missing cite marks on Bucky's words, because besides top
    > posting, Jer also hasn't configured his OE for any cite mark. So, if
    > I'm going to display a reformatted correction, I should also introduce
    > the appropriate cite marks as if I were citing a correct Jer reply -or-
    > format it as if Jer were saying it.
    >
    > ---------
    >
    > Jer wrote:
    > > "Bucky Breeder"
    > >> In the "Advanced settings:" window, scroll down and click teh "Show
    > >> hidden files and folders" radio button and further down *uncheck*
    > >> "Hide extensions for known file types".

    > > I've already tried this. The file extension is not hidden, it is just
    > > not there.

    > ---------
    >
    > <Jer should have trimmed & contextualized to say>
    >
    > "Bucky Breeder"
    >
    > > In the "Advanced settings:" window, scroll down and click teh "Show
    > > hidden files and folders" radio button and further down *uncheck*
    > > "Hide extensions for known file types".

    > I've already tried this. The file extension is not hidden, it is just
    > not there.
    > ---------
    >
    > --
    > Mike Easter

    jeez thats hard to read mike.

    Electric Monk, Jul 8, 2007
  18. Electric Monk <> wrote in

    > jeez thats hard to read mike.

    ??? And no Wikipedia articles )^`8

    LOL@"missing.file.extension.not.hidden.just.not.there+.wtf

    Especially the part where it's pre-cog'ed that some are videos.

    Too busy = watching Fedderar (SUI) vs. Nadal (ESP) @ Wimbledon...

    --

    http://www.impeachribbon.com/

    http://www.bettybowers.com/crackwhores.html

    The personification of "ambition" is a flea
    crawling up an elephant's tail with rape on its mind.
    The personification of "delusion" is that flea
    arriving at its objective screaming "suffer baby, suffer."

    Bucky Breeder, Jul 8, 2007
  19. Jer

    Mike Easter Guest

    Electric Monk wrote:

    > jeez thats hard to read mike.

    You performed what is called 'bottom posting'.

    Bottom posting is primarily untrimmed. Typically it also lacks
    'contextualization'. When newsposting words and not putting your words
    right directly underneath the precise preceding words spaced by an empty
    line, your post becomes less 'responsive'. Sometimes you should not try
    to cite what was said before, but instead you should 'summarize' it in
    your own words. Your post failed to trim my sig and your post failed to
    leave an empty space and your post lacked context.

    Putting your words way down at the bottom of a long untrimmed post isn't
    a good posting style, especially when you also fail to leave an empty
    line.

    Here's what you could have done:

    ------------------------

    <Electric Monk should have trimmed greatly and summarized>

    > Mike Easter wrote:
    >
    >> If your post had looked like this:

    <snip elaborate reconstructions of trimming and contextualizing>

    jeez thats hard to read mike.

    ------------------------

    Legend:
    <embraces explanatory notes>
    ------- example delimiters -------

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Jul 8, 2007
  20. > Electric Monk wrote:

    >> jeez thats hard to read mike.

    Gaytard Anal-retentive Operating Thetans taking total control of
    the usenet nickpicknanny-sock called "Mike Easter" quibbles this:

    > You

    That's right, idiot, glad to see someone got it.

    > performed

    Maybe he just *did* it, and he's not like you, "performing" 4all2C.

    > what is called

    It's only labeled that, or anything else, by nitpicknannies.

    > 'bottom posting'.

    Everyone needed you to point that out...

    > Bottom posting

    You're repeating yourself, or is that your other persona(s)?

    >is primarily untrimmed.

    That is substantively incorrect!

    > Typically

    WTF do you know about "typical"?

    > it also lacks 'contextualization'.

    Like when *you* extract from the original context?

    > When newsposting words and not putting your words
    > right directly underneath the precise preceding words

    Now s/he's on a roll...

    > spaced by an empty line,

    No! More likely, you're spaced by that drop on your head
    by your mommie when first she looked at you and screamed
    "get it out of here before it bites someone!"

    > your post becomes less 'responsive'.

    Like yours are?

    > Sometimes you should not try

    Because you've got an opinion that's way out there?

    > to cite what was said before, but instead you should
    > 'summarize' it in your own words.

    Like, basically when you post replies to everyone with
    your typical nitpickingnanny quibble blatherbullbabble?

    > Your post failed to trim my sig and your post failed to
    > leave an empty space and your post lacked context.

    Everyone else seemed to get it, or be able to move on...
    Hmmmmm....

    > Putting your words way down at the bottom of a long
    > untrimmed post isn't a good posting style, especially
    > when you also fail to leave an empty line.

    Didn't someone already say that? That must be "contexualization
    reiteration for the Mike Easter effectualization put everyone
    to sleepifiazion?"

    I don't know, Easter-tard, why don't you give us an example?

    > Here's what you could have done:
    >
    > ------------------------
    >
    > <Electric Monk should have trimmed greatly and summarized>
    >
    >> Mike Easter wrote:
    >>
    >>> If your post had looked like this:

    > <snip elaborate reconstructions of trimming and contextualizing>
    >
    > jeez thats hard to read mike.

    > Legend:
    > <embraces explanatory notes>
    > ------- example delimiters -------