Is there a way to change the behavior of the File-Open dialog (Mac)

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Smitty, Jun 24, 2004.

  1. Smitty

    Smitty Guest

    I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.

    When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that matter) Quark
    remembers the last folder I was in, but starts with the focus on the folder,
    not the last document opened.

    Eg.

    I want to insert a picture in an open document I choose File -> Open
    I drill my way down on the CD to some image directory1 -> directory2
    I find the file File1 and open it.

    Nope, that's not the one I wanted. File ->Open
    The open box does open to directory2, but directory2 is highlighted, not the
    last file I opened, so sometimes I have to browse through a long list of
    files, and often forget which file was the last one used.

    Is there some way to change this behavior so the last FILE remains
    highlighted, not the parent folder?

    Thanks guys.

    Smitty, Jun 24, 2004

  2. Smitty

    Boomer Guest

    "Smitty" <> wrote:

    > I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.
    >
    > When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that
    > matter) Quark remembers the last folder I was in, but starts
    > with the focus on the folder, not the last document opened.

    Hi

    If you haven't already, you might want to ask over here also.

    Quark Forums
    http://www.quark.com/service/forums/

    comp.sys.mac.system
    comp.sys.mac.apps

    HTH

    Boomer, Jun 24, 2004

  3. Smitty

    Max Guest

    In article <1088082047.738011@faramir>, Smitty <> wrote:

    > I have a Mac G5 running 10.3.3.

    Lucky Pup.

    > When I re-open an item in Quark (or any other program for that matter) Quark
    > remembers the last folder I was in, but starts with the focus on the folder,
    > not the last document opened.
    >
    > Eg.
    >
    > I want to insert a picture in an open document I choose File -> Open
    > I drill my way down on the CD to some image directory1 -> directory2
    > I find the file File1 and open it.
    >
    > Nope, that's not the one I wanted. File ->Open
    > The open box does open to directory2, but directory2 is highlighted, not the
    > last file I opened, so sometimes I have to browse through a long list of
    > files, and often forget which file was the last one used.
    >
    > Is there some way to change this behavior so the last FILE remains
    > highlighted, not the parent folder?

    No, I don't think so. I think Apple's specifications are that the path
    end in a folder and not a file (since there are very few instances
    where this task would regularly be performed for the same file).

    However, there is a shortcut method: make that item a Favorite, and it
    will appear in the pop-up dialog right above, requiring just that one
    step.

    If it helps, you can also stretch the dialog open more to show a third
    column of navigation, and of course downward to show more items in the
    list. This setting will be retained in that program, so the window
    would always be larger.

    Max, Jun 29, 2004