Is there a virus/ trojan?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by MC, Apr 4, 2004.

  1. MC

    MC Guest

    Hi all

    I recently downloaded DU Meter to monitor the network acitivity for my
    computer and have noticed that the meter would shoot up three quarter of the
    way with download/ upload and there would be a bit at the top showing upload
    (this would be running constantly) In the task manager there is a
    svchost.exe process running, fluctuating from zero to three percent of the
    CPU usage.

    These are the ways to stop the upload/ download

    1. End the svchost.exe task but consequence is that I cannot connect to
    other PCs and others cannot connect to me. The XP skin would briefly change
    to the standard Windows skin for about 5 seconds and would revert back to
    normal.

    2. Physically disconnect the uplink cable from the switch to the internet
    and I can still see my other computer and vice versa.

    My other PC is also running DU Meter and its not showing this strange
    phenomena.
    All PCs are running Sophos AV and is up to date and router has its own
    firewall but I am not running any software firewall. Am I right in thinking
    that my machine might be infected or is there a logical reason behind this?
    What I would like to do is identify which application this svchost.exe is
    associated with, so that I could safely let it run.

    TIA
    MC, Apr 4, 2004

  2. MC

    FIG JAM Guest

    MC said:

    > Hi all
    >
    > I recently downloaded DU Meter to monitor the network acitivity for my
    > computer and have noticed that the meter would shoot up three quarter of the
    > way with download/ upload and there would be a bit at the top showing upload
    > (this would be running constantly) In the task manager there is a
    > svchost.exe process running, fluctuating from zero to three percent of the
    > CPU usage.
    >
    > These are the ways to stop the upload/ download
    >
    > 1. End the svchost.exe task but consequence is that I cannot connect to
    > other PCs and others cannot connect to me. The XP skin would briefly change
    > to the standard Windows skin for about 5 seconds and would revert back to
    > normal.
    >
    > 2. Physically disconnect the uplink cable from the switch to the internet
    > and I can still see my other computer and vice versa.
    >
    > My other PC is also running DU Meter and its not showing this strange
    > phenomena.
    > All PCs are running Sophos AV and is up to date and router has its own
    > firewall but I am not running any software firewall. Am I right in thinking
    > that my machine might be infected or is there a logical reason behind this?
    > What I would like to do is identify which application this svchost.exe is
    > associated with, so that I could safely let it run.
    >
    > TIA

    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=svchost&btnG=Google Search
    67,900 pages in English
    FIG JAM, Apr 4, 2004

  3. MC

    Emrys Davies Guest

    http://tinyurl.com/24a7q

    Regards,
    Emrys Davies.

    Emrys Davies, Apr 4, 2004
  4. MC

    MC Guest

    Ahaa...all windows services......relief

    MC, Apr 4, 2004
  5. MC

    Mik Guest

    MC,

    Read about the many many SVCHOST here and I guarantee you will home
    in on your problem. I had the same thing recently on a Win2k box and
    in my case it was a download.trojan or trojan.download virus. The key
    thing, however, is the path of the SVCHOST process, and this page
    shows you how to work it out :

    http://www.answersthatwork.com/Tasklist_pages/tasklist_s.htm

    Also their ultimate troubleshooter tool puts it all on your PC. I got
    it and it's very very cool, but it's not free - the info on the page
    is free though and identical.

    mik.

    Mik, Apr 4, 2004