    Is there anything I can get to equip FireFox to play the music? I am using
    2.0;.0.11 in Windows 2000.

    Thanks -

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 10, 2007

  2. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Greetings
    >
    > There is a good web page for the Burnaby (Canada) Power and Sail
    > Squadron which has music playing behind some of the pages. I learned
    > about it but couldn't hear the music and wrote the webmaster. He sent
    > this back: "IE and Netscape will recognize sounds recorded using MS
    > FrontPage while Mozilla/Firefox will not."
    >
    > Is there anything I can get to equip FireFox to play the music? I am
    > using 2.0;.0.11 in Windows 2000.
    >
    > Thanks -

    Post the link so I can look at the source, but the reference to Front
    Page is a red flag. When FP is used to insert background sound, it uses
    the IE proprietary tag of bgsound. Music inserted with this tag will
    not play in Netscape.

    Any sound inserted with coding that will play in a version of Netscape
    will play in Mozilla firefox. Again, post a link for more specific
    information.

    Lee

    --
    Leonidas Jones, Netscape/Mozilla Champion
    The Champs: http://mozillachampions.ufaq.org

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 10, 2007

  3. Leonidas Jones wrote:
    > Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >> Greetings
    >>
    >> There is a good web page for the Burnaby (Canada) Power and Sail
    >> Squadron which has music playing behind some of the pages. I learned
    >> about it but couldn't hear the music and wrote the webmaster. He sent
    >> this back: "IE and Netscape will recognize sounds recorded using MS
    >> FrontPage while Mozilla/Firefox will not."
    >>
    >> Is there anything I can get to equip FireFox to play the music? I am
    >> using 2.0;.0.11 in Windows 2000.
    >>
    >> Thanks -

    > Post the link so I can look at the source, but the reference to Front
    > Page is a red flag. When FP is used to insert background sound, it uses
    > the IE proprietary tag of bgsound. Music inserted with this tag will
    > not play in Netscape.
    >
    > Any sound inserted with coding that will play in a version of Netscape
    > will play in Mozilla firefox. Again, post a link for more specific
    > information.
    >
    > Lee

    Thanks for your reply. Here's the link: http://www.burnabysquadron.com/index.htm

    Well, if there is no work-around I'll have to do without the sound.

    Gualtier Malde, Dec 10, 2007
  4. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>> Greetings
    >>>
    >>> There is a good web page for the Burnaby (Canada) Power and Sail
    >>> Squadron which has music playing behind some of the pages. I learned
    >>> about it but couldn't hear the music and wrote the webmaster. He
    >>> sent this back: "IE and Netscape will recognize sounds recorded using
    >>> MS FrontPage while Mozilla/Firefox will not."
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I can get to equip FireFox to play the music? I am
    >>> using 2.0;.0.11 in Windows 2000.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks -

    >> Post the link so I can look at the source, but the reference to Front
    >> Page is a red flag. When FP is used to insert background sound, it
    >> uses the IE proprietary tag of bgsound. Music inserted with this tag
    >> will not play in Netscape.
    >>
    >> Any sound inserted with coding that will play in a version of Netscape
    >> will play in Mozilla firefox. Again, post a link for more specific
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply. Here's the link:
    > http://www.burnabysquadron.com/index.htm
    >
    > Well, if there is no work-around I'll have to do without the sound.

    Yep here is the relevant tag:

    <bgsound src="Main%20Page%20Images/j0388288.wav" loop="-1">

    That file will only play in Internet Explorer. If the web designer says
    it plays in Netscape, well I just tried it in Netscape Navigator 9, and
    nothing. I then tried in Netscape 7.2, no sound. Maybe NS 8 running in
    IE mode could play it, but that is really just running IE as a shell.

    He could use the Embed tag, which will play in all browsers. Indeed he
    should.

    I hate to encourage non standard coding but there is an extension, Stop
    Autoplay that will allow the sound to play. It was designed to stop
    background sound from playing, since it can be annoying, but it also has
    the function of converting the bgsound tag to embed, which Firefox can
    understand and implement:

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Dec 10, 2007
  5. Gualtier Malde wrote:
    > Leonidas Jones wrote:
    >> Gualtier Malde wrote:
    >>> Greetings
    >>>
    >>> There is a good web page for the Burnaby (Canada) Power and Sail
    >>> Squadron which has music playing behind some of the pages. I learned
    >>> about it but couldn't hear the music and wrote the webmaster. He sent
    >>> this back: "IE and Netscape will recognize sounds recorded using MS
    >>> FrontPage while Mozilla/Firefox will not."
    >>>
    >>> Is there anything I can get to equip FireFox to play the music? I am
    >>> using 2.0;.0.11 in Windows 2000.
    >>>
    >>> Thanks -

    >> Post the link so I can look at the source, but the reference to Front
    >> Page is a red flag. When FP is used to insert background sound, it uses
    >> the IE proprietary tag of bgsound. Music inserted with this tag will
    >> not play in Netscape.
    >>
    >> Any sound inserted with coding that will play in a version of Netscape
    >> will play in Mozilla firefox. Again, post a link for more specific
    >> information.
    >>
    >> Lee
    >>

    > Thanks for your reply. Here's the link: http://www.burnabysquadron.com/index.htm
    >
    > Well, if there is no work-around I'll have to do without the sound.

    sort of a work around:

    install greasemonkey:

    then get the IE media mimic script:
    http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/4278

    the downside is you have to make it work, by hitting certain
    keys.

    http://www.toonopedia.com/potamus.htm

    Peter Potamus the Purple Hippo, Dec 10, 2007