    I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from

    The Asian-type language makes me suspicious. I'm not going to open it.
    Just in case anyone else gets one.

    geopelia, Sep 9, 2006

  2. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157841871.346227.89130
    @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:

    > I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from
    >

    > The Asian-type language makes me suspicious. I'm not going to open it.
    > Just in case anyone else gets one.

    This is a handy site:
    http://virusscan.jotti.org/

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 10, 2006

  3. geopelia

    Peter Guest

    geopelia wrote:
    > I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from

    Many (most?) virus and spam emails spoof (fake) the From and ReplyTo
    addresses. The person it looks like it is from probably isn't even aware
    that it was sent, and it probably didn't even come from their PC.

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Sep 10, 2006
  4. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157841871.346227.89130
    > @i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from
    > >

    > > The Asian-type language makes me suspicious. I'm not going to open it.
    > > Just in case anyone else gets one.
    > >

    > This is a handy site:
    > http://virusscan.jotti.org/
    >

    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    Thank you. I've got PC-cillin 2006 and never have any viruses. Also
    Windows XP and xtra should pick up a few. There is nothing in the virus
    or Trojan logs.

    I had a look at that site but couldn't see this email address. I
    suppose the virus if any is in the attachment.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 10, 2006
  5. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Peter wrote:
    > geopelia wrote:
    > > I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from
    > >

    > Many (most?) virus and spam emails spoof (fake) the From and ReplyTo
    > addresses. The person it looks like it is from probably isn't even aware
    > that it was sent, and it probably didn't even come from their PC.
    >
    > HTH
    >
    > Peter

    sec.xtra is a real address, according to xtra's website, various firms
    and organisations are using it. As you say, this email is probably a
    fake.
    If my computer is really sending out a virus, PC-cillin, xtra or
    Windows should pick it up.
    Thank you.
    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 10, 2006
  6. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157852417.974491.231590
    @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

    > suppose the virus if any is in the attachment.

    Almost always, but they can also be in the HTML by pointing to a nasty web
    site.
    Turning off the preview pane is the first thing to do if you view HTML
    email.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 11, 2006
  7. geopelia

    El Penguino Guest

    On 10 Sep 2006 13:06:49 +1200, Dave Taylor
    <> wrote:

    >"geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157841871.346227.89130
    >@i3g2000cwc.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> I got an email which I suspect is a virus, with an attachment, from

    I got one too, ostensibly from my ISP, sec@maxnet etc.

    There was odd linguistic errors that made me suspicious, so I binned
    it.

    El Penguino, Sep 11, 2006
  8. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157852417.974491.231590
    > @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

    > > suppose the virus if any is in the attachment.
    > >

    > Almost always, but they can also be in the HTML by pointing to a nasty web
    > site.
    > Turning off the preview pane is the first thing to do if you view HTML
    > email.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    PC-cillin should remove any virus.

    geopelia, Sep 11, 2006
  9. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157980703.627468.70440
    @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:

    > PC-cillin should remove any virus.

    Thanks for the laugh of the day.

    AV technology is reactive, not proactive. It is possible to modify a virus
    so it is not recognized. It still comes down to users being careful, or
    locking down the machine so much that it is almost unusable.

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 12, 2006
  10. geopelia

    geopelia Guest

    Dave Taylor wrote:
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1157980703.627468.70440
    > @e3g2000cwe.googlegroups.com:
    >
    > > PC-cillin should remove any virus.

    > Thanks for the laugh of the day.
    >
    > AV technology is reactive, not proactive. It is possible to modify a virus
    > so it is not recognized. It still comes down to users being careful, or
    > locking down the machine so much that it is almost unusable.
    >
    > --
    > Ciao, Dave

    That's a cheerful thought! I'll keep an eye on the virus logs, they
    should show if I've got one.

    Geopelia

    geopelia, Sep 12, 2006
  11. geopelia

    Dave Taylor Guest

    "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1158063396.549190.304950
    @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:

    > That's a cheerful thought! I'll keep an eye on the virus logs, they
    > should show if I've got one.

    Ok, please think about this: How will the logs show something they don't
    know about.

    I think I will drop the thread now.
    Chat to you later...

    --
    Ciao, Dave

    Dave Taylor, Sep 13, 2006
  12. geopelia

    Geopelia Guest

    "Dave Taylor" <> wrote in message
    > "geopelia" <> wrote in news:1158063396.549190.304950
    > @b28g2000cwb.googlegroups.com:
    >
    >> That's a cheerful thought! I'll keep an eye on the virus logs, they
    >> should show if I've got one.

    > Ok, please think about this: How will the logs show something they don't
    > know about.

    There are new components coming in every day, sometimes twice a day. Sooner
    or later they should pick it up.

    Geopelia, Sep 15, 2006