    Click OK and restart your computer.)

    --
    Spin
    Spin, Apr 30, 2008

  2. Spin

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 07:26:51 -0400, Spin wrote:

    >Gurus,

    It's a bit of a long ramble you went through. Yes you can write your own
    cmd file.

    >Is there a script I can launch to ensure a computer boots into Safe Mode on
    >the next try without having to wait around and press F8 at just the right
    >time after a restart? I know how to do this via the GUI only but I need a

    <snip 7 lines>

    1st you need the options for safe mode,

    short answer, www.google.com

    a longer answer,
    http://www.google.com/search?q=force boot.ini safemode

    the answer you nearly got but missed,
    http://www.google.com/search?q=boot.ini settings
    a MS article that has a link to
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q239780/

    The Safe-mode boot modes and corresponding switches include:
    • Mode: Safe Mode
    • Mode: Safe Mode with Networking
    • Mode: Safe Mode with Command Prompt
    • Mode: Enable Boot Logging
    • Mode: Enable VGA Mode
    • Mode: Directory Services Restore Mode (Domain Controllers Only)
    • Mode: Debugging Mode

    2nd a cmd file that edits boot.ini , be very careful with that. Best bet
    here is a backup of the original renamed, a copy of the original, a 3rd
    with the safemode option. This way you never touch the first, and only
    swap the 2nd and 3rd files in your batch file. Remember the file
    attributes.

    3rd create a shortcut on the desktop to the script you just wrote to
    swap the 2 files.

    Another search www.google.com for - script to edit boot.ini
    finds a script at the MS scripting center, perhaps not so odd.

    The next hit is a vbscript to modify boot.ini ,

    IIRC XP/2003 has a bootcfg to edit the file.

    Me
    why?, Apr 30, 2008

  3. Spin

    chuckcar Guest

    "Spin" <> wrote in

    > Gurus,
    >
    > Is there a script I can launch to ensure a computer boots into Safe
    > Mode on the next try without having to wait around and press F8 at
    > just the right time after a restart? I know how to do this via the
    > GUI only but I need a script I can launch. (Manual way: Go to Start
    > -> Run and enter msconfig in the Open box. In the System
    > Configuration Utility, click on the BOOT.INI tab. On the BOOT.INI
    > page, put a check mark in the box next to SAFEBOOT. The radio button
    > next to MINIMAL should be selected to boot into Safe Mode. Selecting
    > NETWORK boots the computer into Safe Mode with Networking. Selecting
    > MINIMAL boots the computer into Safe Mode with Command Prompt. Click
    > OK and restart your computer.)

    No, no, no. start->run->msconfig<enter> click advanced, put a check mark
    in enable startup menu. Click Ok. Click Ok. Yes to reboot. menu will
    appear until you run msconfig again and remove the check mark.

    --
    (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )
    chuckcar, Apr 30, 2008
  4. Spin

    Spin Guest

    "chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    > No, no, no. start->run->msconfig<enter> click advanced, put a check mark
    > in enable startup menu. Click Ok. Click Ok. Yes to reboot. menu will
    > appear until you run msconfig again and remove the check mark.
    > --
    > (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    I run Windows XP. When I first call up msconfig, I do not see an Advanced
    button on the initial dialog box.
    Spin, May 1, 2008
  5. Spin

    Guest

    "Spin" <> wrote:

    >"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >> No, no, no. start->run->msconfig<enter> click advanced, put a check mark
    >> in enable startup menu. Click Ok. Click Ok. Yes to reboot. menu will
    >> appear until you run msconfig again and remove the check mark.
    >> --
    >> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    >I run Windows XP. When I first call up msconfig, I do not see an Advanced
    >button on the initial dialog box.

    Same here, it's there, It's under BOOT.INI but it has always been
    dimmed out for me and can't be used; it's always been like that for
    me.

    XP pro and home

    Google first hit
    http://www.tek-tips.com/faqs.cfm?fid=6207

    and If you have XPro

    Start | Run <type in>
    gpedit.msc
    <enter>

    is a place to put a script if you do what to do the above.
    --

    http://revver.com/video/487010/craziest-night-nerds/
    , May 1, 2008
  6. Spin

    Guest

    , May 1, 2008
  7. Spin

    why? Guest

    On Thu, 01 May 2008 12:33:48 -0700, wrote:

    > "Spin" <> wrote:
    >
    >>"chuckcar" <> wrote in message
    >>> No, no, no. start->run->msconfig<enter> click advanced, put a check mark
    >>> in enable startup menu. Click Ok. Click Ok. Yes to reboot. menu will
    >>> appear until you run msconfig again and remove the check mark.
    >>> --
    >>> (setq (chuck nil) car(chuck) )

    >>I run Windows XP. When I first call up msconfig, I do not see an Advanced
    >>button on the initial dialog box.

    >Same here, it's there, It's under BOOT.INI but it has always been
    >dimmed out for me and can't be used; it's always been like that for
    >me.

    Not dimmed out on my setup, didn't even know that stuff was there. Alway
    prefer to edit boot.ini by hand, then again doing that when needed since
    NT3.

    Tried XP Pro virtual PCs - SP3 RC2 , MS built SP2 IE8 and IE7 images,
    all okay for the Advanced button. Wouldn't have been a tweakui option,
    picked earlier to disable it?

    <snip>

    Me
    why?, May 1, 2008
  8. Spin

    Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >Not dimmed out on my setup, didn't even know that stuff was there. Alway
    >prefer to edit boot.ini by hand, then again doing that when needed since
    >NT3.

    Ya mines always been dimmed out, some bad reg entry. no problems I
    aware of. - heck COD4/Xfire/Ventrilo all work I'm happy.
    --

    http://revver.com/video/487010/craziest-night-nerds/
    , May 1, 2008
  9. Spin

    Guest

    why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote:

    >Tried XP Pro virtual PCs - SP3 RC2 , MS built SP2 IE8 and IE7 images,
    >all okay for the Advanced button. Wouldn't have been a tweakui option,
    >picked earlier to disable it?

    Remember NT and Win2K where each installation was a different O/S?
    Never did I install the same O/S, something would be different.

    I just thought this was one of those things. Odd that it did hit two
    O/S's