Is there a program that will set the date and time on XP? New Battery doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Bill F Gates, Feb 4, 2009.

  1. Bill F Gates

    Bill F Gates Guest

    Bill F Gates, Feb 4, 2009

  2. Bill F Gates wrote:

    > [nothing]

    Please place your question in the body of your message. Write a short,
    relevant Subject line.

    Google for: windows xp ntp server set time
    "Results 1 - 10 of about 338,000 for windows xp ntp server time. (0.35
    seconds)"

    --
    -bts

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty, Feb 4, 2009

  3. Bill F Gates

    Rimbooooo Guest

    Yes, that Exist search for Atomic Clock Software

    Rimbooooo, Feb 4, 2009
  4. Bill F Gates

    Mike Easter Guest

    Beauregard T. Shagnasty wrote:
    > Bill F Gates wrote:

    > Google for: windows xp ntp server set time

    I interpreted the ambiguous subject question differently.

    I interpreted that the computer clock wouldn't keep time and that clock
    problem wasn't remedied by getting a new CMOS battery -- not that the OP
    wanted some kind of NTP clock setter.

    Like maybe he didn't put the battery in correctly or some other badclock
    troubleshooting issue which is made more difficult by the ambiguity caused
    by the age-old subject/body problem.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Feb 4, 2009
  5. Bill F Gates

    Evan Platt Guest

    On 4 Feb 2009 14:36:09 -0500, "Rimbooooo" <>
    wrote:

    >Yes, that Exist search for Atomic Clock Software

    As opposed to the built in Set Date / Time via NTP functionality that
    exists in XP?

    Evan Platt, Feb 4, 2009
  6. Bill F Gates

    Bill Q Gates Guest

    Computer wont hold date. Is there a program to set it automatically?

    OK Sorry for the screw up.

    I found an old computer that worked fine except for the date always
    being wrong and a memory error. I replaced the battery and memory. It
    seems to hold the date for one reboot.

    Now I need to find a program that will change the date and time every
    time it turns on. I thought it would be simple, but most time programs
    seem to refuse to set the time if its more that a week off. The BIOS
    resets to Jan 1 2003. It won't even do the Windows updates if the date
    is wrong.

    Besides the date and time being off it's a really nice little machine.
    I'd hate to have to dump it.

    Bill

    Bill Q Gates, Feb 4, 2009
  7. Bill F Gates

    Mara Guest

    Re: Computer wont hold date. Is there a program to set it automatically?

    On Wed, 04 Feb 2009 18:52:11 -0500, Bill Q Gates <>
    wrote:

    >OK Sorry for the screw up.
    >
    >I found an old computer that worked fine except for the date always
    >being wrong and a memory error. I replaced the battery and memory. It
    >seems to hold the date for one reboot.
    >
    >Now I need to find a program that will change the date and time every
    >time it turns on. I thought it would be simple, but most time programs
    >seem to refuse to set the time if its more that a week off. The BIOS
    >resets to Jan 1 2003. It won't even do the Windows updates if the date
    >is wrong.
    >
    >Besides the date and time being off it's a really nice little machine.
    >I'd hate to have to dump it.

    Is there a newer BIOS out for the motherboard?

    --
    "Bristling with weapons means never having to say you're sorry."
    --trout, 24HSHD

    Mara, Feb 5, 2009
  8. Bill F Gates

    VanguardLH Guest

    Re: Computer wont hold date. Is there a program to set it automatically?

    Bill Q Gates wrote:

    <snip>

    You "found" an old computer. Could it be out of someone's trash as you
    were walking down the alley? Maybe they trashed it for a reason.

    So we have a nyshifting poster. Not much of a change in his moniker but
    a change nonetheless. And a nymshifting poster that changes the
    Subject. Go read:

    What is Usenet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newsgroups
    http://www.masonicinfo.com/newsgroups.htm
    http://www.mcfedries.com/Ramblings/usenet-primer.asp

    How to post to newsgroups:
    http://66.39.69.143/goodpost.htm
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375
    http://www.mugsy.org/asa_faq/getting_along/usenet.shtml

    VanguardLH, Feb 5, 2009
  9. Bill F Gates

    VanguardLH Guest

    Bill F Gates wrote:

    Yep, a blank post, which means no body, which means no details, which
    means a lazy user. Blank body = blank post = blank mind. The subject
    is an intro and lure. It is NOT to convey the entire context that lets
    others figure out what is needed to know to help with your problem.

    Put the battery in the right way. Try another [new] battery (and check
    the expiration date on the packaging before inserting). Next time
    follow proper anti-static measures so you don't zap your motherboard but
    might be too late now. If it is a battery pack rather than a wafer
    battery in a hold, make sure you correctly attached (polarized) the
    2-wire cable from the battery pack.

    Did you check if a jumper had been left on the 2-pin CMOS clear header?
    After replacing the battery, did you also clear the CMOS copy (and lose
    all customized settings) of the EEPROM settings (to reset back to the
    defaults)?

    Did you boot but NOT load Windows to check if the time is lost on a
    subsequent reboot? Create a bootable DOS floppy
    (http://www.bootdisk.com) and stay at that command prompt. Use the date
    and time commands to set the clock. After several hours, like go to
    sleep and test in the morning, reboot the host and boot using the DOS
    floppy again. Is the time correct or was it reset to an initial value?
    If the time is still correct on rebooting into DOS, you have something
    in Windows that is screwing up the OS clock.

    I use Socketwatch to make sure my host stays on-time. It isn't free
    (http://www.locutuscodeware.com/swatch.htm) but it does have a trial
    period. If your time is off by more than the default setting of 1 hour,
    be sure to disable that option (I leave it always disabled). There are
    free time sync utilities. There is even the Windows Time service
    included in Windows but you'll probably want to use a different NTP
    server than the default ones for Microsoft (which can get overly busy
    that you won't be able to sync for days). As I recall, the Windows Time
    service only syncs once per login. That is, you must login to sync the
    clock; otherwise, if you leave your host powered on 24x7 then the clock
    can get off over time until whenever you next login (like at the next
    reboot or when changing to another account).

    Rather than keep trying (often unsuccessfully) the Microsoft NTP
    servers, Socketwatch tries to use the fastest (lowest lag) NTP server
    from a long list (that you can edit). If another time sync utility
    doesn't have a long list of possible NTP servers, pick one at your
    closest university. I believe you can add more NTP servers to the
    Windows Time service by editing the registry; however, that merely gives
    you a longer list from which to select, not that the Windows Time
    service will actually rotate through that list to find a responsive NTP
    server and find the one with the least lag (in the route between your
    host and theirs). It just picks the first one that responds; see
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/285641.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_Time_Protocol
    You get to connect your NTP client to a stratum 2 NTP server, not
    higher.

    You can Google around trying to find stratum 2 NTP servers that you can
    use in a time sync utility. http://www.pool.ntp.org/en/use.html is, I
    believe, a means of randomizing who uses which NTP server and takes the
    work out of trying to find one.

    VanguardLH, Feb 5, 2009
  10. Bill F Gates

    pimpom Guest

    VanguardLH wrote:
    > Bill F Gates wrote:
    >

    > Put the battery in the right way. Try another [new] battery
    > (and
    > check the expiration date on the packaging before inserting).
    > Next
    > time follow proper anti-static measures so you don't zap your
    > motherboard but might be too late now. If it is a battery pack
    > rather than a wafer battery in a hold, make sure you correctly
    > attached (polarized) the 2-wire cable from the battery pack.
    >
    > Did you check if a jumper had been left on the 2-pin CMOS clear
    > header? After replacing the battery, did you also clear the
    > CMOS copy
    > (and lose all customized settings) of the EEPROM settings (to
    > reset
    > back to the defaults)?

    While working on old computers for people who can't afford new
    ones, I occasionally come across one with a problem like OP's.
    Usually it's not just the date but also other BIOS settings that
    are lost on reboot or after being powered down for more than a
    few minutes. Replacing the battery does no good. So far they've
    all been PIIIs on motherboards based on the Intel 810 chipset,
    but I didn't make a note of the BIOS types. Clearing the CMOS for
    a long time, reseating components and cleaning out accumulated
    dust didn't help either.

    The one thing left I could think of doing was to flash the BIOS
    but didn't because I didn't want to take the risk of making the
    computer completely unbootable. Most of the owners aren't even
    aware of which year the clock is set to.

    pimpom, Feb 5, 2009
  11. Re: Is there a program that will set the date and time on XP? NewBattery doesn't work.

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > pimpom wrote:
    >
    >> While working on old computers for people who can't afford new
    >> ones, I occasionally come across one with a problem like OP's.
    >> Usually it's not just the date but also other BIOS settings that
    >> are lost on reboot or after being powered down for more than a
    >> few minutes.

    > That seems like an important defect beyond the date problem.
    >
    >> Replacing the battery does no good. So far they've
    >> all been PIIIs on motherboards based on the Intel 810 chipset,
    >> but I didn't make a note of the BIOS types. Clearing the CMOS for
    >> a long time, reseating components and cleaning out accumulated
    >> dust didn't help either.

    > Hmmm.

    Buggar...this BeBox is a pIII 800mhz...

    >> The one thing left I could think of doing was to flash the BIOS
    >> but didn't because I didn't want to take the risk of making the
    >> computer completely unbootable. Most of the owners aren't even
    >> aware of which year the clock is set to.

    > That's an interesting decision - to not flash the BIOS.
    >
    > On the one hand to have an 'over-the-hill' computer which also has a BIOS
    > CMOS which won't hold its BIOS configuration data....
    >
    > OTOH to risk bricking the whole mobo from a bad BIOS flash. The
    > 'customer'/helped-one doesn't really know or understand enough to make an
    > informed consent decision about - to flash or not to flash - so you are
    > left to your own determination about how bad off to leave it.
    >
    > I think I would flash it, but then it would depend on whether or not one
    > had access to any old (better) alternative mobo/s lying around not being
    > used.

    Familiar with the open source answer to everything, yet?
    http://www.coreboot.org/Supported_Motherboards

    Might work, eh?

    --
    http://www.palindeception.com/