    for under $200--wouldn't you think?

    Thanks for any info you can give me,

    Norm Strong
    Guest, Dec 3, 2006

  2. Guest

    Rich Clark Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:D...
    > I'm looking for a "universal" portable player. It should play DVD,
    > DVD-R/RW, DVD+R/RW, CD, CDR/RW, and all of these discs encoded with either
    > mp3 or wma audio files. It will mostly be used with a line adapter. On
    > battery operation, it will use alkaline batteries, not rechargeable.
    >
    > I have a home DVD deck that will do all these things, and it only cost me
    > $35. I should be able to get a portable player with similar capabilities
    > for under $200--wouldn't you think?
    >
    > Thanks for any info you can give me,

    I think you will find many players with these capabilities. I have a Malata
    DVD-710V (2 years old and long since superseded), which is just an ordinary
    made-in-China el-cheapo portable. It had read every disc I've ever put into
    it, and I typically burn DVD+R, DVD-R, CD-R's full of MP3 files, and even
    DVD+R's full of MP3 files (4.5 gigs of music is a lot of music!). The player
    plays them all. It was $130 two years ago. I wish I had more current info,
    but obviously I haven't needed to get back into that particular market.

    The compatibility lists at http://www.videohelp.com/dvdplayers may help you,
    and even the consumer reviews on Amazon can reveal this sort of information
    about a particular model you may be interested in.

    RichC
    Rich Clark, Dec 3, 2006