    Thanks
    KM
    , Oct 19, 2007

  2. Thunderbird has a newsreader. I use it.
    Stanley Eisen, Oct 19, 2007

  3. Ralph Fox Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, in message <>,
    wrote:

    > Subject: Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

    Yes -- Thunderbird. Thunderbird is also a newsreader.

    Look at the full headers of the messages in this newsgroup.
    You will see that many of the messages are posted with Thunderbird.
    Look for the "User-Agent:" header.

    > I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
    > spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
    > filtering.

    While Thunderbird has newsgroups filters, you won't find them any better
    than Agent's at filtering spam and garbage on the newsgroups.

    To filter the spam and garbage, try one of these two choices

    A. Use an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    garbage on the newsgroups.

    B. Get a news server that filters the spam and garbage for you.

    > These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
    > I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
    > it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out
    > new software for newsgroups.

    Get an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    garbage on the newsgroups.

    nFilter

    (1) http://www.nfilter.org/ The download from here is one byte short.
    This causes problems on some versions of Windows.
    Try downloading from another mirror, such as

    (2) http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
    (3) http://west.porterfield.net/nfilter/
    (4) http://troll-busters.0catch.com/gen/ [website uses Java]

    > I do not use Google to read them on the
    > web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
    > of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups?

    Mozilla has Thunderbird for newsgroups, and also SeaMonkey for newsgroups.

    --
    Cheers,
    Ralph
    Ralph Fox, Oct 19, 2007
  4. Chalky Guest

    Ralph Fox <> wrote in

    > On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, in message
    > <>,
    > wrote:
    >
    >> Subject: Is there a Mozilla newsreader?

    >> I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
    >> spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
    >> filtering.

    > While Thunderbird has newsgroups filters, you won't find them any
    > better than Agent's at filtering spam and garbage on the newsgroups.
    >
    > To filter the spam and garbage, try one of these two choices
    >
    > A. Use an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    > garbage on the newsgroups.
    >
    > B. Get a news server that filters the spam and garbage for you.
    >

    >> These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
    >> I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
    >> it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out new
    >> software for newsgroups.

    > Get an add-on filtering program like nFilter to filter spam and
    > garbage on the newsgroups.
    >
    > nFilter
    >
    > (1) http://www.nfilter.org/ The download from here is one byte
    > short.
    > This causes problems on some versions of Windows.
    > Try downloading from another mirror, such as
    >
    > (2) http://www.saska.co.uk/nfilter/
    > (3) http://west.porterfield.net/nfilter/
    > (4) http://troll-busters.0catch.com/gen/ [website uses Java]
    >

    >> I do not use Google to read them on the
    >> web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
    >> of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups?

    > Mozilla has Thunderbird for newsgroups, and also SeaMonkey for
    > newsgroups.
    >

    >> If
    >> not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >> KM

    You could try this one I find it very good and it is free
    http://xnews.newsguy.com/
    Chalky
    Chalky, Oct 19, 2007
  5. On 2007-10-19, <> wrote:

    > I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
    > spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
    > filtering. These earlier versions of Agent lacked decent filters, and
    > I tried the demo of some of Agent's newer versions and do not care for
    > it at all, especially for the price. The time has come to seek out
    > new software for newsgroups. I do not use Google to read them on the
    > web. I also do not use Outlook express for anything and wont because
    > of it's virus dangers. Does Mozilla have anything for newsgroups? If
    > not, what other software is good for newsgroups (free is preferred).

    Thunderbird is a stand-alone mail/news client; the Seamonkey suite also
    has a mail/news component.

    --

    John ()
    John Thompson, Oct 20, 2007
  6. Charani Guest

    On Fri, 19 Oct 2007 01:17:52 -0500, wrote:

    > I have always used Agent for newsgroups. Lately there is so darn much
    > spam and garbage on the newsgroups that I need more extensive
    > filtering.

    Get yourself a good news server. NIN is one such and that filters out
    the garbage before it ever reaches you. It's not a freebie but only
    cost about 10 euros a year. It's reliable too.

    (Disclaimer: no connections with NIN just a satisfied user and before
    anyone says why aren't I using it - it's on the other PC which my
    husband's using atm :)) )
    Charani, Oct 20, 2007