Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisher files?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lennier, Jan 20, 2004.

  1. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    Hiya,

    Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisher files?

    I've just been sent a whacking great publisher file, but I don't use
    Micro$oft Publisher.

    I've asked that the document be resent as a PDF, but I think it would be
    good to be able to open the PUB files myself if the option to do so was
    available to me.

    Lennier

    --
    Brian Valentine - Microsoft's SVP for Windows development: "We
    really haven't done everything we could to protect our customers. Our

    Lennier, Jan 20, 2004

  2. Re: Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisherfiles?

    Hi there,

    Lennier wrote:
    > Hiya,
    >
    > Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisher files?
    >
    > I've just been sent a whacking great publisher file, but I don't use
    > Micro$oft Publisher.
    >
    > I've asked that the document be resent as a PDF, but I think it would be

    Definately request that, since you'll see the thing in close to its
    original appearance in PDF...

    > good to be able to open the PUB files myself if the option to do so was
    > available to me.

    Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    directly. You could try

    $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    One of the guys on CLUG was suggested that upon a time. I just
    tried it, and its damn ugly, but you should be able to read the
    content (and imagine the graphics!)... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 20, 2004

  3. Lennier

    Mike Dee Guest

    Lennier <> wrote in

    > Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisher
    > files?

    I don't think it's possible. Publisher is too OLE dependant, it's files are
    just plain incompatable with "normal" DTP programs [regardless of
    platform]. I might be wrong - I hope I am.

    > I've just been sent a whacking great publisher file, but I don't use
    > Micro$oft Publisher.
    >
    > I've asked that the document be resent as a PDF, but I think it would
    > be good to be able to open the PUB files myself if the option to do so
    > was available to me.

    I think that, and/or having the person "print to file" to generate a .ps
    postscript file is about the only satisfaction you'll get from Publisher. A
    pity, it would be nice to edit the things in other apps too.

    D.

    --
    "Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired,
    signifies in the final sense a theft from those who hunger and are not fed,

    President Dwight D. Eisenhower, April 16, 1953

    Mike Dee, Jan 20, 2004
  4. Lennier

    Lennier Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:

    > Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    > directly. You could try
    >
    > $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    How do I use that?

    What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?

    Lennier

    --
    "When dealing with the Religious Right one should remember that 'truth'
    is not a part of the rules of their game."

    Lennier, Jan 20, 2004
  5. Lennier

    Bret Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:13:43 +1300, Lennier
    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >> directly. You could try
    >>
    >> $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    >How do I use that?
    >
    >What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?
    >

    >Lennier

    LOL less does less than more :)

    Bret, Jan 20, 2004
  6. Lennier

    Jay Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >> directly. You could try
    >>
    >> $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    > How do I use that?
    >
    > What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?

    Surely you would also like to now what the "<filename." and the "pub>" do?

    Jay, Jan 20, 2004
  7. Lennier

    Peter Guest

    Lennier wrote:

    > Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisher files?

    AFAIK there aren't even any Windows based programmes that can open pub files
    (apart from Publisher itself, obviously). Apparently there are even
    compatibility problems between the different versions of Publisher.

    > I've just been sent a whacking great publisher file, but I don't use
    > Micro$oft Publisher.
    >
    > I've asked that the document be resent as a PDF, but I think it would be
    > good to be able to open the PUB files myself if the option to do so was
    > available to me.

    This seems to be a fairly common problem - small clubs and groups make their
    newsletter using Publisher, which works fine when they distribute in
    printed form. But, when they try electronic distribution, it all falls
    apart because the readers don't have Publisher, or have a different
    version, and can't read it.
    Publisher has an option to export to html, but this just makes one big gif
    image of each page - horribly inefficient and clumsy.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 20, 2004
  8. Lennier

    Peter Guest

    Lennier wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >> Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >> directly. You could try
    >>
    >> $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    > How do I use that?
    >
    > What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?

    RTFM !

    man strings

    man less

    (although I didn't have much luck using strings on pub files, khexedit was
    more useful)

    HTH

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 20, 2004
  9. Lennier

    Peter Guest

    Bret wrote:

    > LOL less does less than more :)

    less does more than more !

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 20, 2004
  10. Lennier

    AD. Guest

    On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:13:43 +1300, Lennier wrote:

    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >> directly. You could try
    >>
    >> $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    > How do I use that?

    Don't you have that in your Fedora Core start menu?

    > What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?

    You're joking aren't you? I hope someone is impersonating you.

    If not, I hereby revoke your Linux advocacy license!

    Then again, it could be useful...

    "Linux is now so easy even Lennier can use it!"

    ;)

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 20, 2004
  11. Lennier

    AD. Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:33:23 +1300, Peter wrote:

    > Publisher has an option to export to html, but this just makes one big gif
    > image of each page - horribly inefficient and clumsy.

    It still does that? Unbelievable! I remember being astounded when I heard
    that about 6 years ago, but I assumed a later version would've fixed it.

    Publisher always seemed the bastard step child of the Works suite that
    unfortunately outlived it.

    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Jan 20, 2004
  12. Lennier

    Bret Guest

    On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:39:44 +1300, Peter <>
    wrote:

    >Bret wrote:
    >>
    >> LOL less does less than more :)

    >less does more than more !
    >

    >Peter

    Yes, I should have proof read that :(

    Bret, Jan 20, 2004
  13. Lennier

    Peter Guest

    AD. wrote:
    > On Wed, 21 Jan 2004 07:33:23 +1300, Peter wrote:
    >> Publisher has an option to export to html, but this just makes one big
    >> gif image of each page - horribly inefficient and clumsy.

    > It still does that? Unbelievable! I remember being astounded when I heard
    > that about 6 years ago, but I assumed a later version would've fixed it.

    That was with Publisher98, I haven't tried anything more recent.

    Peter

    Peter, Jan 21, 2004
  14. Lennier

    Enkidu Guest

    <> wrote:

    >On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >
    >> Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >> directly. You could try
    >>
    >> $ strings <filename.pub> | less

    >How do I use that?
    >
    >What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?

    "$" is the command prompt.

    Try

    $ man strings (don't type the "$"!!)

    This will tell you what the "strings" command does.

    <filename.pub> is the file that "strings" is applied to.

    "| less" pipes the output of "strings" to the program "less".

    Try

    $ man less

    "less" is like the DOS command "more" but does more, not less!

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    that the conspiracy is working.

    Enkidu, Jan 21, 2004
  15. Lennier

    steve Guest

    Peter wrote:

    > This seems to be a fairly common problem - small clubs and groups make
    > their newsletter using Publisher, which works fine when they distribute in
    > printed form. But, when they try electronic distribution, it all falls
    > apart because the readers don't have Publisher, or have a different
    > version, and can't read it.
    > Publisher has an option to export to html, but this just makes one big gif
    > image of each page - horribly inefficient and clumsy.
    >
    > Peter

    Agreed.....and MS Publisher costs $360 or more.

    Because of this problem, the Horowhenua & Districts Carriage Driving society
    moved to Scribus 1.1 on Linux.

    Scribus is free...and anyone can use it.

    http://www.scribus.org.uk/

    Scribus uses the 'paste-up' metaphor common to many DTP programmes.

    steve, Jan 21, 2004
  16. Re: Is there a Linux-based programme which can open Micro$oft Publisherfiles?

    Hi there,

    Enkidu wrote:
    > On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 23:13:43 +1300, Lennier
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>On Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:59:46 +1300, Chris Wilkinson wrote:
    >>

    >>>Oo_Org 1.1 doesn't know about Publisher files so I'd imagine not
    >>>directly. You could try
    >>>
    >>>$ strings <filename.pub> | less

    >>How do I use that?
    >>
    >>What does "$ strings" do? What does "| less" do?
    >>

    > "$" is the command prompt.
    >
    > Try
    >
    > $ man strings (don't type the "$"!!)
    >
    > This will tell you what the "strings" command does.
    >
    > <filename.pub> is the file that "strings" is applied to.
    >
    > "| less" pipes the output of "strings" to the program "less".
    >
    > Try
    >
    > $ man less
    >
    > "less" is like the DOS command "more" but does more, not less!

    Yup...less is more and more is less more or less... :)

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Jan 22, 2004