    just wondering if there is a limit, or a recommended limit, on the number of
    extensions you should install with this browser? I currently have 12
    installed.
    History Fan, Feb 12, 2006

  2. History Fan

    History Fan Guest

    >I currently have 12 installed.>

    Make that 13 now. I just can't stop!
    History Fan, Feb 12, 2006

  3. History Fan

    gwtc Guest

    History Fan wrote:
    >>I currently have 12 installed.>

    > Make that 13 now. I just can't stop!

    good question. I know of others who have 20 to 30 of them. Just one
    thought though. The more extensions you have, the more problems that
    might happen. And trying to find which one is the problem can be more
    trouble than its worth. Atleast thats what I think. Also, some
    extensions can cause conflicts with others.
    gwtc, Feb 12, 2006
  4. History Fan

    Tony Raven Guest

    gwtc wrote:
    > History Fan wrote:
    >>> I currently have 12 installed.>

    >> Make that 13 now. I just can't stop!
    >>

    > good question. I know of others who have 20 to 30 of them. Just one
    > thought though. The more extensions you have, the more problems that
    > might happen. And trying to find which one is the problem can be more
    > trouble than its worth. Atleast thats what I think. Also, some
    > extensions can cause conflicts with others.

    And I've noticed that loading FF definitely takes longer the more
    extensions you have. I currently have 35 plus 2 disabled

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham
    Tony Raven, Feb 12, 2006
  5. History Fan

    gwtc Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > gwtc wrote:

    >>> Make that 13 now. I just can't stop!
    >>>

    >>good question. I know of others who have 20 to 30 of them. Just one
    >>thought though. The more extensions you have, the more problems that
    >>might happen. And trying to find which one is the problem can be more
    >>trouble than its worth. Atleast thats what I think. Also, some
    >>extensions can cause conflicts with others.

    > And I've noticed that loading FF definitely takes longer the more
    > extensions you have. I currently have 35 plus 2 disabled

    good point, thats because it has to load all those extensions, just
    like the more plug-ins or bookmarks you have the more time it takes to
    load, aswell.
    gwtc, Feb 12, 2006
  6. History Fan

    Hawkeye Guest

    On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 19:11:51 -0500, "History Fan"
    <> wrote:

    > I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a XP SP2 computer, DSL connection. I was
    >just wondering if there is a limit, or a recommended limit, on the number of
    >extensions you should install with this browser? I currently have 12
    >installed.

    I don't advocate going crazy with extensions, just install what you
    need. That being said, I am up to 23 with no problems and no
    noticable degradation in performance:

    Add N Edit Cookies 0.2.1.0
    Allow Right-Click 0.3
    BugMeNot 1.3
    ChromEdit 0.1.1.1
    CountdownClock 1.4.1
    DOM Inspector 1.8.0.1
    Download Manager Tweak 0.7.1
    FireFTP 0.90.1
    Flashblock 1.5.1
    Forecastfox Enhanced 0.8.2.5
    FoxClocks 1.2.70
    Image Zoom 0.2.3
    MR Tech Local Install 4.2
    OpenNewWindowFromHere 0.2
    PDF Download 0.6
    Plain Text Links 0.2
    Popup ALT Attribute 1.3.2005092701
    QuickProxy 2005.12.04
    SearchPluginHacks 0.1.3
    Statusbar Clock 1.7.1
    Sun Cult 0.7
    Tab Mix Plus 0.3.0.3
    View Cookies 1.5

    If I had to limit it to two, they would be Local Install and Tab Mix
    Plus. Those two are essential, the rest are candy.
    Hawkeye, Feb 13, 2006
  7. History Fan wrote:
    > I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a XP SP2 computer, DSL connection. I was
    > just wondering if there is a limit, or a recommended limit, on the number of
    > extensions you should install with this browser? I currently have 12
    > installed.

    If there is a limit, and if it is not reduced sinds version 1.07, then
    it is higher then 107, that being the highest number I have ever had
    installed.

    Nowadays I have less, as conflicts between extensions have caused me
    some problems, and that risk seems to increase exponentionally with the
    number of extensions. So I'm a bit more critical.

    The only current problem (in 1.5.1) is, that Firefox does not accept any
    extension-installs at all, so I cannot tryout new ones. :(

    --
    Vriendelijke groet,
    Jan van Aalderen, Amstelveen
    Jan van Aalderen, Feb 21, 2006
  8. History Fan

    gwtc Guest

    Jan van Aalderen wrote:
    > History Fan wrote:
    >
    >> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a XP SP2 computer, DSL connection. I was
    >>just wondering if there is a limit, or a recommended limit, on the number of
    >>extensions you should install with this browser? I currently have 12
    >>installed.
    >>

    > If there is a limit, and if it is not reduced sinds version 1.07, then
    > it is higher then 107, that being the highest number I have ever had
    > installed.
    >
    > Nowadays I have less, as conflicts between extensions have caused me
    > some problems, and that risk seems to increase exponentionally with the
    > number of extensions. So I'm a bit more critical.
    >
    > The only current problem (in 1.5.1) is, that Firefox does not accept any
    > extension-installs at all, so I cannot tryout new ones. :(

    extensions install in FF 1.5.x just fine. So it might be something
    wrong at your end. Have you turned extension installation on? In the
    address bar type in about:config and look for the entry of:

    xpinstall.enabled

    when found, double click on it and change it to True
    gwtc, Feb 21, 2006
  9. gwtc wrote:
    > Jan van Aalderen wrote:
    >> History Fan wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm using Firefox 1.5.0.1 on a XP SP2 computer, DSL connection. I
    >>> was just wondering if there is a limit, or a recommended limit, on
    >>> the number of extensions you should install with this browser? I
    >>> currently have 12 installed.
    >>>

    >> If there is a limit, and if it is not reduced sinds version 1.07, then
    >> it is higher then 107, that being the highest number I have ever had
    >> installed.
    >>
    >> Nowadays I have less, as conflicts between extensions have caused me
    >> some problems, and that risk seems to increase exponentionally with
    >> the number of extensions. So I'm a bit more critical.
    >>
    >> The only current problem (in 1.5.1) is, that Firefox does not accept
    >> any extension-installs at all, so I cannot tryout new ones. :(
    >>

    > extensions install in FF 1.5.x just fine. So it might be something
    > wrong at your end. Have you turned extension installation on? In the
    > address bar type in about:config and look for the entry of:
    >
    > xpinstall.enabled
    >
    > when found, double click on it and change it to True

    tThanks for that one; However, it has always been set 'true', and still is.

    In the mean time I found a workaround, namely downloading the extension
    to disk and than dragging it to the extension window. Funny, but that
    seems to work.

    It is most likely indeed a problem on my end, as experience thaught me
    that I - or rather the various computers the land in my home - seem to
    have an extreme talent in acquiring problems that noone else has. It
    varies from obstinate little things like this one thru programs that do
    not work on wednesdays and as most pecular one up till now a Windows
    98SE which refused to place icons on the top half inch of the desktop
    (while both desktop and screen were functioning perfectly for anything
    but desktopicons). Computertrouble has seized to amaze mee years ago;
    most problems disappear without me getting upset about them. :)

    Jan van Aalderen, Mar 2, 2006