    _Lexx_ from 'em that work perfectly well.)

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Feb 25, 2005

  2. mimus

    FAQmeister Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    news:
    > The ills of DVDs?
    >
    > Another question: What *is* Deep Discount's deal? Do they deal in
    > production runs-- basically, almost, "seconds"-- where QA showed an
    > unacceptable number of faulty DVDs? I mean, I've had to return
    > several of theirs (and one, _The Stoned Age_, I never have been able
    > to get a decent copy of).
    >
    > (Hard to beat their prices, though, and I've gotten three seasons of
    > _Lexx_ from 'em that work perfectly well.)

    DDDs DVDs are the same quality as everyone elses. I've never gotten a
    defective DVD from them, though once I did get the wrong DVD in the
    right package.

    Sounds to me like your DVD player might be too picky.
    --
    Buford T. Justice
    The alt.video.dvd faq is located at:

    FAQmeister, Feb 25, 2005

  3. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:06 -0800, "FAQmeister"
    <> wrote:

    >"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >
    >> The ills of DVDs?
    >>
    >> Another question: What *is* Deep Discount's deal? Do they deal in
    >> production runs-- basically, almost, "seconds"-- where QA showed an
    >> unacceptable number of faulty DVDs? I mean, I've had to return
    >> several of theirs (and one, _The Stoned Age_, I never have been able
    >> to get a decent copy of).
    >>
    >> (Hard to beat their prices, though, and I've gotten three seasons of
    >> _Lexx_ from 'em that work perfectly well.)

    >DDDs DVDs are the same quality as everyone elses. I've never gotten a
    >defective DVD from them, though once I did get the wrong DVD in the
    >right package.
    >
    >Sounds to me like your DVD player might be too picky.

    Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    and so on.

    Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick), and it
    wobbled seriously at the first, reran the opening sequence in a jerky
    sorta way, and even gave me a flash of the title *in French*.

    I restarted, and fast forwarded past the opening sequence, and it
    settled down and played alright for the rest of the viewing, although
    the audio seemed to do the old left- right wobble occasionally (I
    watch DVDs using headphones), albeit mostly toward the start, I think.

    Now, afterward, I looked at the DVD, and there is a slight smear of
    some kind on it, toward the outer edge, which of course I intend to
    clean/ polish away, but there's also a very slight and narrow and not-
    very- high but noticeable radial ridge in the metal layer, from the
    center out to about halfway, which I hope *isn't* the problem, since
    there'll be no fixing that.

    I do realize that sometimes it's not the vendor's or even the pressing
    plant's fault, eg. the notoriously lousy transfer of _Cross of Iron_
    (which I cherish even in such lousy form, since it still beats my old
    VHS- ripped- from- a- premium- channel version).

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Feb 25, 2005
  4. mimus

    Justin Guest

    mimus wrote on [Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:08 GMT]:
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:06 -0800, "FAQmeister"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The ills of DVDs?
    >>>
    >>> Another question: What *is* Deep Discount's deal? Do they deal in
    >>> production runs-- basically, almost, "seconds"-- where QA showed an
    >>> unacceptable number of faulty DVDs? I mean, I've had to return
    >>> several of theirs (and one, _The Stoned Age_, I never have been able
    >>> to get a decent copy of).
    >>>
    >>> (Hard to beat their prices, though, and I've gotten three seasons of
    >>> _Lexx_ from 'em that work perfectly well.)

    >>DDDs DVDs are the same quality as everyone elses. I've never gotten a
    >>defective DVD from them, though once I did get the wrong DVD in the
    >>right package.
    >>
    >>Sounds to me like your DVD player might be too picky.

    > Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    > and so on.
    >
    > Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    > and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick)

    Hardly a great flick, but DDD sells the same DVDs everyone else does.

    Justin, Feb 25, 2005
  5. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:48:02 GMT, Justin <> wrote:

    >mimus wrote on [Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:08 GMT]:
    >> On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:06 -0800, "FAQmeister"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"mimus" <> wrote in message

    >>>DDDs DVDs are the same quality as everyone elses. I've never gotten a
    >>>defective DVD from them, though once I did get the wrong DVD in the
    >>>right package.
    >>>
    >>>Sounds to me like your DVD player might be too picky.

    >> Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    >> and so on.
    >>
    >> Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    >> and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick)

    >Hardly a great flick, but DDD sells the same DVDs everyone else does.

    *Great* flick.

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Feb 25, 2005
  6. mimus

    Joe McC Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:48:02 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>mimus wrote on [Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:08 GMT]:

    >>> Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    >>> and so on.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    >>> and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick)

    >>Hardly a great flick, but DDD sells the same DVDs everyone else does.

    > *Great* flick.

    *More-than-great* flick. Escapism yes, but if ever a movie deserved a bells
    & whistles DVD, it's this one.

    Vikings Vs. Cannibal Cavemen.... Yassum!

    Joe McC, Feb 26, 2005
  7. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:43:35 -0000, "Joe McC"
    <> wrote:

    >"mimus" <> wrote in message

    >>>Hardly a great flick, but DDD sells the same DVDs everyone else does.

    >> *Great* flick.

    >*More-than-great* flick. Escapism yes, but if ever a movie deserved a bells
    >& whistles DVD, it's this one.
    >
    >Vikings Vs. Cannibal Cavemen.... Yassum!

    _Beowulf_ crossed with _The Magnificent Seven_.

    The "Great Mother" business was sorta anachronistic, but, hey.

    OTOH, I couldn't understand why the "Great Mother" amulet found at a
    massacre site was so broken and corroded and in fact I believe a
    replica of a well- known museum piece, when it shoulda been *new*
    then.

    Still, I fell in love with the movie when I first saw part of it on
    the Sci- Fi Channel (and what it was doing there puzzled me, as did
    their later showing of _The Odyssey_), made sure to watch it next time
    they aired it and finally ordered it.

    What a crew!

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Feb 26, 2005
  8. mimus

    Joe McC Guest

    "mimus" <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:43:35 -0000, "Joe McC"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >>"mimus" <> wrote in message

    >>> *Great* flick.

    >>*More-than-great* flick. Escapism yes, but if ever a movie deserved a
    >>bells
    >>& whistles DVD, it's this one.
    >>
    >>Vikings Vs. Cannibal Cavemen.... Yassum!

    > _Beowulf_ crossed with _The Magnificent Seven_.
    >
    > The "Great Mother" business was sorta anachronistic, but, hey.

    > OTOH, I couldn't understand why the "Great Mother" amulet found at a
    > massacre site was so broken and corroded and in fact I believe a
    > replica of a well- known museum piece, when it shoulda been *new*
    > then.

    I see your point, but makes sense if you sorta think it was just made from
    primitive & roughly cast "pig iron" which would also oxidize very quickly in
    that sort of environment.

    Shame about the abbreviated running time though - it might have been better
    paced if it wasn't short-changed on the prologue & epilogue.

    Joe McC, Feb 26, 2005
  9. mimus

    Justin Guest

    mimus wrote on [Fri, 25 Feb 2005 23:34:25 GMT]:
    > On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:48:02 GMT, Justin <> wrote:
    >
    >>mimus wrote on [Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:08 GMT]:

    >>> Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    >>> and so on.
    >>>
    >>> Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    >>> and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick)

    >>Hardly a great flick, but DDD sells the same DVDs everyone else does.

    > *Great* flick.

    Mind numbingly boring...

    Justin, Feb 26, 2005
  10. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 17:37:08 GMT, (mimus)
    wrote:

    >On Fri, 25 Feb 2005 09:16:06 -0800, "FAQmeister"
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >>> The ills of DVDs?
    >>>
    >>> Another question: What *is* Deep Discount's deal? Do they deal in
    >>> production runs-- basically, almost, "seconds"-- where QA showed an
    >>> unacceptable number of faulty DVDs? I mean, I've had to return
    >>> several of theirs (and one, _The Stoned Age_, I never have been able
    >>> to get a decent copy of).
    >>>
    >>> (Hard to beat their prices, though, and I've gotten three seasons of
    >>> _Lexx_ from 'em that work perfectly well.)

    >>DDDs DVDs are the same quality as everyone elses. I've never gotten a
    >>defective DVD from them, though once I did get the wrong DVD in the
    >>right package.
    >>
    >>Sounds to me like your DVD player might be too picky.

    >Hmm, it's a GE 1101PA, seems very nice, usually does well, does VCDs
    >and so on.
    >
    >Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    >and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick), and it
    >wobbled seriously at the first, reran the opening sequence in a jerky
    >sorta way, and even gave me a flash of the title *in French*.
    >
    >I restarted, and fast forwarded past the opening sequence, and it
    >settled down and played alright for the rest of the viewing, although
    >the audio seemed to do the old left- right wobble occasionally (I
    >watch DVDs using headphones), albeit mostly toward the start, I think.

    Second viewing, it didn't even work that well.

    Stick a fork in it and return it, eh?

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Mar 1, 2005
  11. mimus

    mimus Guest

    DVD Spindle Problem? (was Re: Is There a Good Introduction to or Reference Concerning . . . .)

    On Tue, 01 Mar 2005 03:12:08 GMT, (mimus)
    wrote:

    >>Here's a classic from last night. I got from DDD a nice cheap $8.95-
    >>and- free- shipping copy of _The 13th Warrior_ (great flick), and it
    >>wobbled seriously at the first, reran the opening sequence in a jerky
    >>sorta way, and even gave me a flash of the title *in French*.
    >>
    >>I restarted, and fast forwarded past the opening sequence, and it
    >>settled down and played alright for the rest of the viewing, although
    >>the audio seemed to do the old left- right wobble occasionally (I
    >>watch DVDs using headphones), albeit mostly toward the start, I think.

    >Second viewing, it didn't even work that well.
    >
    >Stick a fork in it and return it, eh?

    Ah- *ha*, light scoring of the DVD inner rim fixed the problem.

    Time for some spindle- cleaning, maybe? or spindle- replacement?

    I have natural gas heating, and it does eat things like drive belts.

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Mar 2, 2005
  12. mimus

    Rich Clark Guest

    Re: DVD Spindle Problem? (was Re: Is There a Good Introduction to or Reference Concerning . . . .)

    mimus wrote:

    > I have natural gas heating, and it does eat things like drive belts.

    ::blink:: Your what does what, now?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 2, 2005
  13. mimus

    mimus Guest

    Re: DVD Spindle Problem? (was Re: Is There a Good Introduction to or Reference Concerning . . . .)

    On 2 Mar 2005 09:07:43 -0800, "Rich Clark" <>
    wrote:

    >mimus wrote:
    >
    >> I have natural gas heating, and it does eat things like drive belts.

    >::blink:: Your what does what, now?

    Natural gas heating is bad for things like neoprene drive belts,
    causing them to lose their elasticity and even become brittle and
    crack years before their appointed times.

    God knows what it does to us.

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Mar 2, 2005
  14. mimus

    mimus wrote:
    > On 2 Mar 2005 09:07:43 -0800, "Rich Clark" <>
    > wrote:
    >
    > >mimus wrote:
    > >
    > >> I have natural gas heating, and it does eat things like drive

    belts.

    > >::blink:: Your what does what, now?

    > Natural gas heating is bad for things like neoprene drive belts,
    > causing them to lose their elasticity and even become brittle and
    > crack years before their appointed times.

    Heat is heat. If you're suggesting that exposure to natural gas or the
    byproducts of its combustion can cause problems, well yeah. That's what
    filters and vents are for. If your heating system is leaking gas or
    particulates into your living space, you bigger problems than threats
    to your DVD player.

    If you have a source that suggests that homes heated with natural gas
    furnaces suffer from premature deterioration of, well, anything, please
    post it.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Mar 2, 2005
  15. mimus

    mimus Guest

    On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 02:29:22 -0000, "Joe McC"
    <> wrote:

    >"mimus" <> wrote in message
    >> On Sat, 26 Feb 2005 00:43:35 -0000, "Joe McC"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >>>"mimus" <> wrote in message

    >>>*More-than-great* flick. Escapism yes, but if ever a movie deserved a
    >>>bells
    >>>& whistles DVD, it's this one.
    >>>
    >>>Vikings Vs. Cannibal Cavemen.... Yassum!

    >> _Beowulf_ crossed with _The Magnificent Seven_.
    >>
    >> The "Great Mother" business was sorta anachronistic, but, hey.

    >> OTOH, I couldn't understand why the "Great Mother" amulet found at a
    >> massacre site was so broken and corroded and in fact I believe a
    >> replica of a well- known museum piece, when it shoulda been *new*
    >> then.

    >I see your point, but makes sense if you sorta think it was just made from
    >primitive & roughly cast "pig iron" which would also oxidize very quickly in
    >that sort of environment.
    >
    >Shame about the abbreviated running time though - it might have been better
    >paced if it wasn't short-changed on the prologue & epilogue.

    Hey, check out

    http://www.ndsu.edu/RRCWL/V5/czynski.html

    for a scholarly discussion of _Beowulf_, _Eaters of the Dead_ and _The
    13th Warrior_.

    OTOH, there's no mention of _The Magnificent Seven_ there, and also I
    found the source of the "for all that we ought to have thought, and
    have not thought" prayer: The Zend- Avesta (Google the expression and
    Zend- Avesta).

    Amusingly, the screenwriters' expansion of the real Ibn Fadlan's
    partial rendition of a Norse (Geat) requiem seems to have been widely
    and enthusiastically adopted by various "pagan" and role- playing
    groups-- as you'll see by Googling "father mother sisters brothers
    Valhalla".

    --
    ..sigzip*

    mimus, Mar 8, 2005