    drive. Better than nothing I suppose, but compared to what any
    portatble MP3 player can do, its archaic.

    Have I missed some clever model out there???

    dd, Jan 15, 2006

  2. "dd" <> wrote in message
    news:...

    >I thought this would be simple to find but it seems not.

    > Have I missed some clever model out there???

    Old story. Great H/W, lousy S/W

    Homer J Simpson, Jan 15, 2006

  3. dd

    Guest Guest

    "dd" <> wrote in message
    >I thought this would be simple to find but it seems not.
    > I want to use a DVD recorder (WITH HARD DRIVE) as a jukebox. Download
    > my MP3s, press menu and have something like an ipod in operation.
    > Choose by artist, album etc (as read from the MP3s themselves).
    >
    > The nearest I have seen so far is various models touting they will play
    > MP3 from a CDRW, or the Pioneer which will snapshot the CDs to the hard
    > drive, but then you still just play specific CDs albeit from the hard
    > drive. Better than nothing I suppose, but compared to what any
    > portatble MP3 player can do, its archaic.
    >
    > Have I missed some clever model out there???

    The Lite-On 5045. During the brief period I had one, it played DVDs encoded
    with either mp3 or wma files. Of course that was from a DVDR. I never
    tried transferring them from DVD to HD.

    My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
    directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

    Norm Strong

    Guest, Jan 16, 2006
  4. dd

    Bob Guest

    On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:22 -0800, <> wrote:

    >My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
    >directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

    Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
    including AVIs.

    --

    "For most people the meaning and purpose of life is to
    serve as a warning to others of impending disaster."

    Bob, Jan 16, 2006
  5. dd

    dd Guest

    Thanks all

    dd, Jan 16, 2006
  6. dd

    Biz Guest

    DVD players really handle DVDs, MP3 players really handle MP3's...

    If you are looking for a DVD player as versatile as a good MP3 player, you
    wont find it....but you can easily use a good MP3 player like an iPod, or
    iRiver for exactly what you want...

    Biz, Jan 17, 2006
  7. dd

    dd Guest

    Just discovered the D-Link DSM-320 media player. Seems like just the
    business.

    dd, Jan 17, 2006
  8. dd

    Guest Guest

    "Bob" <> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 16 Jan 2006 09:01:22 -0800, <> wrote:
    >
    >>My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
    >>directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

    > Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
    > including AVIs.

    You're talking about the Cyberhome? If so, where do I find the latest
    firmware, and what is the I.D. number for it?

    Thanks muchly,

    Norm

    Guest, Jan 18, 2006
  9. dd

    Bob Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jan 2006 18:20:19 -0800, <> wrote:

    >>>My Cyberhome 1600 (Wal-Mart DVD05MU1) will play said DVD's also, and the
    >>>directory display is better than the Lite-On as well.

    >> Get the latest f/w and it will play MPEGs too - at least most of them,
    >> including AVIs.

    >You're talking about the Cyberhome?

    I have the ILO DVDR05.

    >If so, where do I find the latest firmware

    On the CH website, of course.

    >and what is the I.D. number for it?

    You will have to try the CH version to see if it works. Although they
    are the same basic units, the f/w is not the same.

    Bob, Jan 18, 2006
  10. dd

    Guest

    , Jan 22, 2006
  11. dd

    Biz Guest

    Interesting, because about the same time I came across some jackass spamming
    the newsgroups....

    Biz, Jan 22, 2006