Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vscollage

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Danny D., Apr 14, 2013.

  1. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    I looked up the difference between montage and collage
    and was confused by the results.

    In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between
    the use of montage vs collage?

    Here, for example, is one confusing explanation:
    http://www.ehow.com/facts_5705493_difference-between-montage-collage.html

    Yet, this one really confuses me:
    http://www.englishforums.com/English/MontageVsCollage/xjzjx/post.htm

    But here's one that discerns between the two by media:
    http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/135636-montage-vs-collage.html

    Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?
     
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Danny D.

    me Guest

    Re: Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 14:01:43 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    <> wrote:

    >I looked up the difference between montage and collage
    >and was confused by the results.
    >
    >In (Am) English, is there any difference, today, between
    >the use of montage vs collage?
    >
    >Here, for example, is one confusing explanation:
    >http://www.ehow.com/facts_5705493_difference-between-montage-collage.html
    >
    >Yet, this one really confuses me:
    >http://www.englishforums.com/English/MontageVsCollage/xjzjx/post.htm
    >
    >But here's one that discerns between the two by media:
    >http://www.usingenglish.com/forum/ask-teacher/135636-montage-vs-collage.html
    >
    >Does anyone really know what the difference is between montage & collage?


    The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
    Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
    add the word mosaic to your conundrum.
     
    me, Apr 14, 2013
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:

    > The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
    > Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
    > add the word mosaic to your conundrum.


    Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.

    http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg
    http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png

    Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
    week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?
     
    Danny D., Apr 14, 2013
    #3
  4. Re: Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

    "Danny D." <> wrote in message
    news:kkecs7$uno$...

    >I looked up the difference between montage and collage
    > and was confused by the results.


    It helps to remember how these French words entered the
    English language 100 years ago. Both named real activities
    for which there were then no words in English viz.:
    Collage = making a picture by sticking together various
    different fragments. (Colle is French for glue, hence the
    verb and back-formed noun collage = gluing.)
    Montage was used to identify film editors' methods of
    integrating separately filmed sequences in order to
    tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
    French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
    horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
    operation, etc.)
    and both entered everyday English approx. 1920-40.

    Half the natural occurences of these words nowadays no
    longer concern pictures (still or moving), i.e. are metaphorical.
    But some difference is preserved, viz:
    Collage means sticking things together
    Montage something subtler and less mechanical.

    --
    Don Phillipson
    Carlsbad Springs
    (Ottawa, Canada)
     
    Don Phillipson, Apr 14, 2013
    #4
  5. Danny D.

    Tony Cooper Guest

    Re: Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    <> wrote:

    >On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
    >
    >> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what context.
    >> Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably could also
    >> add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

    >
    >Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    >was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    >recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
    >
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg
    > http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png
    >
    >Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
    >week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?


    You could call them "composites".

    --
    Tony Cooper - Orlando FL
     
    Tony Cooper, Apr 14, 2013
    #5
  6. Danny D.

    Danny D. Guest

    On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 18:13:22 -0500 CRNG wrote:

    >>I would say that those are a montage.
    >>They are individual photographs arranged on a background. They are not
    >>arranged to create another image from parts of each as I would expect
    >>in a collage. They are not laid out tile-like to form a pattern or
    >>image as one might expect with a mosaic construction.


    Wow. Nice. Simple. Very easy to understand.

    montage ==> separate images slapped together
    collage ==> one image from separate images
    mosaic ==> a pattern from separate images

    Montage it is!

    Thanks!
     
    Danny D., Apr 15, 2013
    #6
  7. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    Re: Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

    Danny D. wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
    >
    >> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
    >> context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You probably
    >> could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

    >
    > Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    > was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    > recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
    >
    > http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg
    > http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png
    >
    > Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
    > week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?


    To me - an former photographer - they are montages because they form a
    continuous whole.

    If I printed each image individually and pasted them up they would be a
    collage. It is a continuous whole but made of obviously separate elements
    which could be separated into individual elements again.

    If I made tiles of various sizes, shapes and colors and formed them into
    your image I would call it a mosaic.

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race?
    Taxes out of hand? Maybe just ready for a change?
    Check it out... http://www.floridaloghouse.net
     
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
    #7
  8. Danny D.

    dadiOH Guest

    Re: Is there a difference between the use of the word montage vs collage

    Tony Cooper wrote:
    > On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 19:11:04 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 10:50:35 -0400 me wrote:
    >>
    >>> The real question is why are you concerned with this? In what
    >>> context. Does you wish to create one and not the other? You
    >>> probably could also add the word mosaic to your conundrum.

    >>
    >> Well, the rather embarrassingly mundane impetus for the word
    >> was the conundrum of how to describe these "things" that I
    >> recently created in order to help others clean toilet bowls.
    >>
    >> http://www2.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671545/img/12671545.jpg
    >> http://www4.picturepush.com/photo/a/12671632/img/12671632.png
    >>
    >> Are those "things" (created for alt.home.repair earlier this
    >> week), duly named collages, montages, or mosaics?

    >
    > You could call them "composites".


    That works too :)

    Best choice IMO/

    --

    dadiOH
    ____________________________

    Winters getting colder? Tired of the rat race?
    Taxes out of hand? Maybe just ready for a change?
    Check it out... http://www.floridaloghouse.net
     
    dadiOH, Apr 15, 2013
    #8
  9. Danny D.

    Joe Kotroczo Guest

    On 14/04/2013 21:21, Don Phillipson wrote:

    (...)
    > tell a coherent story in a particular way. (Monter is the
    > French verb for getting ready, the way you mount a
    > horse, mount a school exhibition, mount a military
    > operation, etc.)


    Getting ready? Ehm... no.

    Monter has the following meanings: to ascend to, to climb, to reach, to
    increase, to assemble.

    Mounting a horse (-> to ascend) is quite different from mounting a
    military operation (-> to assemble)

    By extension, a "montage" would be an "assembly"
     
    Joe Kotroczo, Apr 15, 2013
    #9
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. ike lozada
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    549
    ike lozada
    May 27, 2004
  2. Bill Hilton

    Re: looking for montage software...

    Bill Hilton, Jul 15, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    558
    Bill Hilton
    Jul 15, 2003
  3. Frank ess

    Re: looking for montage software...

    Frank ess, Jul 15, 2003, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    676
    Paul Worden
    Jul 16, 2003
  4. Graham Russell

    Montage software recommendation

    Graham Russell, Mar 27, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    315
    Graham Russell
    Mar 27, 2005
  5. jav

    Creating a video montage

    jav, Dec 1, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    533
    oly2100z
    Dec 2, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page