    I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

    Cheers.
    Nusat, Jul 4, 2004

  2. Nusat

    Skip M Guest

    "Nusat" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

    between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >
    > Cheers.

    That depends on the camera. Digital SLRs and some viewfinder/p&s models
    (Kyocera springs to mind) have nearly instantaneous shutter responses,
    others seem glacial by comparison.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com
    Skip M, Jul 4, 2004

  3. Nusat

    Nusat Guest

    > That depends on the camera. Digital SLRs and some viewfinder/p&s models
    > (Kyocera springs to mind) have nearly instantaneous shutter responses,
    > others seem glacial by comparison.

    I am interested in compact cameras (from Canon, Fuji, Olympus, ...), so they
    suffer from shot delay?

    Cheers.
    Nusat, Jul 4, 2004
  4. "Nusat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

    between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >
    > Cheers.

    It is true for any camera, not just digital. There can be more delay in
    some digital cameras, particularly the older non-DLSR models. In many
    cameras, the problem can be alleviated by pressing the shuuter release
    half-way to measure focus and exposure, and then pressing all the way to
    take the actual picture at the critical moment.

    Cheers,
    David
    David J Taylor, Jul 4, 2004
  5. Nusat

    KILOWATT Guest

    Try to find the specs. for the camera in question. The "click to capture
    delay" is what your interested in. I have a DX-6490 from Kodak...and on the
    website, it's specified as <.65 sec. but i would say that mine is faster
    than that... .2~.3 sec...

    --
    Alain(alias:Kilowatt)
    Montréal Québec
    KILOWATT, Jul 4, 2004
  6. Nusat

    KILOWATT Guest

    As an additional comment... a friend bought a Pentax optio 430rs and this
    delay was a long 1.5 second! This delay seems to be minimized as digicam
    technology evolve.
    KILOWATT, Jul 4, 2004
  7. "Nusat" <> wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay

    between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >
    > Cheers.

    *My* camera doesn't, but then I specifically shopped for one that didn't- I
    understand pretty much all compacts do, although some brands (IIRC Ricoh,
    Kyocera) advertise models with very little delay. If I switch off autofocus,
    my Olympus E10 (discontinued) has virtually no delay at all.

    no, and yes...."
    Martin Francis, Jul 4, 2004
  8. Nusat

    Amir Guest

    I think that it's called shutter lag--"the delay from pressing the shutter
    button until a picture is actually captured (steves-digicams.com)". That was
    one of my main concerns when I owned a Canon G2. The shutter lag on that one
    was sometimes too long ranging from 2 seconds all the way to even 8
    seconds!!! My experience with the new-generation compact cameras such as
    Canon S500 and Sony DSC-P100 has been absolutely different! These two
    cameras (along with many others out there) have shutter lags way under one
    seconds (some close to 1/10 of a second). I can go on and on about this, but
    a great place to start doing research and learning more about different
    features of digital cameras is www.steves-digicams.com. That's where I go
    every time I am buying a new digicam. It has never let me down. Of course, I
    always spend some time here in this newsgroup first.

    Peace.

    Amir, Jul 4, 2004
  9. Nusat

    dylan Guest

    Hang on a second.......

    Yes, on most compacts.

    dylan, Jul 4, 2004
  10. Nusat

    G.T. Guest

    Nusat wrote:

    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

    My DSLR Digital Rebel is fast enough that I don't have to worry about
    it. My A70 P&S is pretty slow, though, which is kind of a drag since I
    bought it to carry in my pocket to shoot action shots while mtn biking.

    Greg

    --
    Destroy your safe and happy lives
    Before it is too late
    G.T., Jul 4, 2004
  11. "Nusat" <> writes:

    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

    It's true with pretty much *any* camera -- even a Leica rangefinder.

    The question is not *whether*, but *how much*. For a Leica
    rangefinder, I think around 30 milliseconds (from old memory). For a
    good consumer digicam, maybe around 150 milliseconds -- which is
    enough to be really annoying sometimes. For a *bad* consumer digicam,
    perhaps 750 milliseconds.

    (These figures are all *after* you eliminate auto-focus and exposure
    delay; these are irreducible minimums for the particular models.)

    The digital SLRs have delays in the same range as film SLRs of similar
    specifications.
    David Dyer-Bennet, Jul 4, 2004
  12. Nusat

    mark_digital Guest

    "Nusat" <> wrote in message news:...
    Hi there,

    I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?

    Cheers.
    --------------
    --------------
    There's a 30 mph distance delay between brain and actuating your finger
    and then there's always a delay once the shutter button is pressed.
    mark_
    mark_digital, Jul 4, 2004
  13. Nusat

    Louise Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >
    > Cheers.

    After using a good Nikon SLR film camera for many years - immediate
    shots at the moment...., my Canon S400 has disappointed me on more
    occasions than I can count.

    There is definitely a delay - I bought this camera a year ago and
    perhaps things are better now, but there is a delay that is noticeable
    and annoying.

    Louise
    Louise, Jul 5, 2004
  14. Nusat

    Phil Wheeler Guest

    Louise wrote:
    > In article <>, says...
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >> I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    >>the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >>
    >>Cheers.
    >>

    > After using a good Nikon SLR film camera for many years - immediate
    > shots at the moment...., my Canon S400 has disappointed me on more
    > occasions than I can count.
    >
    > There is definitely a delay - I bought this camera a year ago and
    > perhaps things are better now, but there is a delay that is noticeable
    > and annoying.

    DSLR would be far less annoying in that regard.

    Phil
    Phil Wheeler, Jul 5, 2004
  15. Nusat

    dj NME Guest

    "Nusat" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi there,
    >
    > I've been told that when you shot a digital camera there's a delay between
    > the push action and the camera to take the picture. Is that true?
    >
    > Cheers.

    As previous posters on this thread have written, it realy does depend
    the camera.
    I own (and use quite frequently) a Minolta Dimage 7i.
    What I have found is that if the autofocus is disabled and the camera
    in manual focus mode, there is no percievable delay (lag) between
    pressing the button and the picture being taken.
    On the other hand, when the autofocus does it's thing, there could be
    a slight delay (a quarter second, perhaps?) as the lens moves into
    focus.

    Just my 2c
    dj NME, Jul 5, 2004
  16. The Canon S400 is among a large group of digital cameras that has a
    noticeable shutter delay when used in the traditional manner as if it were
    an old film SLR. To use these cameras effectively with quick action where
    you need to have little or no shutter delay, you must learn new shooting
    habits. The most obvious is to anticipate the action or shooting moment and
    use the shutter half-press. By half-pressing the shutter and waiting for
    that right moment to shoot, you will not be disappointed as often. I even
    use this technique with my Olympus E-10, which has a very short shutter
    delay to begin with.

    Another technique I use to catch quick moments is kind of a shotgun method
    of using burst or continuous shooting along with shutter half-press. The
    S400 has two burst modes, fast and slow, that I've used very successfully to
    catch just the right facial expression on a baby. Or even harder, to catch
    the right expressions on the faces of my twin grandchildren who are 5 months
    old. The continuous shooting mode on my Canon S1 IS is truly continuous to
    the capacity of the CF card. That works very well with kids or sports
    action.

    Bye.

    David Sommers, Jul 5, 2004
  17. Nusat

    Nigel Jones Guest

    "Amir" <> wrote in message news:<cc9eri$frk$>...

    > seconds!!! My experience with the new-generation compact cameras such as
    > Canon S500 and Sony DSC-P100 has been absolutely different! These two
    > cameras (along with many others out there) have shutter lags way under one
    > seconds (some close to 1/10 of a second). I can go on and on about this, but

    Imaging resource review of DSC-P100
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P100/P1A.HTM

    Shutter lag details at
    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/P100/P1DATA.HTM
    show full autofocus delay at 0.3-0.6s
    Prefocs at 0.01s

    I have one and it's the quickest I tried in the shops...
    Nigel Jones, Jul 5, 2004