    another hard disk in Windows?

    Thanks in advance,
    S.

    Seppo Sipilä, Oct 24, 2004

  2. Seppo Sipilä

    Renee Guest

    "Seppo Sipilä" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I just got a Canon S1 IS, and it sure is an improvement to the
    > years-old Sony Cybershot I have used previously.

    <snip>

    > So, is there any way of seeing the memory of the Canon cameras as just
    > another hard disk in Windows?
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > S.

    Hi Seppo,

    I just tried this and it works for me.

    (I always use a card reader and ZoomBrowser so I had to test this to be
    sure.)

    I opened the LCD window on the camera, attached the USB cable from the
    camera to the computer, ignored the Windows 'camera connected' dialog box,
    went Windows explorer and the camera appeared as hard disk 'Canon PowerShot
    S1 IS'.

    Maybe you don't have the WIA driver installed. According to Canon's FAQs, at
    http://alpha01.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900 the WIA should install
    automatically from the Solutions disk. It allows you to see the camera as a
    hard disk. These FAQs are for the A10, buy they probably apply to the S1 IS
    as well.

    If you're still having trouble, try calling their Support number. I found
    the toll-free number somewhere in the User's Guide when I first got my
    camera and had a question. I don't know how your experience will be with
    them, but mine was very good. They answered the phone right away and helped
    me immediately with my question.

    Renee

    Renee, Oct 24, 2004

  3. Seppo Sipilä

    Renee Guest

    "Renee" <> wrote in message

    > "Seppo Sipilä" <> wrote in message
    >> Hi, I just got a Canon S1 IS, and it sure is an improvement to the

    <snip>

    > Maybe you don't have the WIA driver installed. According to Canon's FAQs,
    > at http://alpha01.c-wss.com/wsss/ApplServlet?SV=WWUCA900 the WIA should
    > install

    <snip>

    I tried the link in my previous reply to you and it doesn't seem to work.

    Here's what the A10 FAQs say about it:

    Category : Driver Installation
    Description : How do I install the driver for my camera?
    What is a WIA driver? How do I install the WIA driver for my camera?

    WIA stands for Windows Imaging Acquisition. The Windows Imaging Acquisition
    package is an integral part of Windows Me and Windows XP (the WIA features
    are not available in Windows 98 or Windows 2000). Using a WIA Driver
    (similar in function to the Twain Driver) with Windows Me or Windows XP
    provides two advantages: (1) when you connect your camera to the computer,
    it will give you the option of download pictures using the Windows Scanners
    and Cameras Wizard, which will start automatically in Windows Me, and (2)
    your camera will show up in Windows Explorer as another storage device on
    the "tree" on the left side of the screen. It will show a camera icon and
    will be displayed below your hard drive and CDROM drive. As such, you will
    be able to see a list of the image files stored in your camera, and you may
    transfer them out as you would from any drive.

    WIA Drivers were included on the Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disk
    starting with Version 4.0. The WIA drivers will work with any Canon digital
    camera which has USB connectivity. If your camera is USB capable but your
    Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disk does not contain WIA Drivers, you may
    download the latest version WIA Driver from our web site at
    http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/customer/driverdown.html.

    Canon digital cameras shipped with any of several versions of the Canon
    Digital Camera Solutions Disk, the intent being to provide the most current
    software available at the time the camera was packaged. In order to provide
    the most accurate answer to your question regarding WIA Driver installation,
    read the label of your Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disk, and scroll down
    to the matching version.

    Version 4.0 or Version 5.0

    1. Install the USB TWAIN Driver. This is normally part of the software
    installation process. If you have already installed the Canon Digital Camera
    Solutions Disk software and chose the default options, you have already done
    this step. The remaining steps detail the procedure to update the TWAIN
    Driver with the WIA Driver.
    2. Attach the camera to the computer's USB port and set it to the PC
    connection mode. If the Device Event dialog appears or an application
    program starts, close it.
    3. Open the Windows Control Panel and double-click the System icon to
    display the System Properties dialog.
    4. In the System Properties dialog, click the Device Manager tab and select
    the View devices by Type option. Click the [+] mark beside the Imaging
    Device category and double-click the name corresponding to your camera
    model.
    5. In the Properties dialog that opens, click the Driver tab, followed by
    the Update Driver button. The Update Device Driver Wizard will start.
    6. In the Wizard's first window, select [Specify the location of the driver
    (advanced)] and click the Next button.
    7. In the [Search for a better driver than the one your device is using now.
    (Recommended)] option, place a check mark in the [Specify a location]
    option.
    8. Click the [Browse] button, navigate to the CD-ROM drive, select the
    [\WIA_USB\ENGLISH\WIN_ME] folder and click the Next button.
    9. Click [Install one of the other drivers], and select the file from the
    CD-ROM drive you selected in the previous step as it appears in the Select
    Other Driver window.
    10. Click the Next button and follow the instructions in the wizard to
    complete the update.
    Restart the computer when prompted.

    Version 6.0

    If you are installing the Canon Digital Camera Solutions Disk in Windows Me,
    at the point during software installation where you are given the
    opportunity to select the programs you wish to install, you will see both
    the USB TWAIN Driver and the USB WIA Driver listed. The installation program
    should have already selected the USB WIA Driver, but if not, remove the
    check mark from the USB TWAIN Driver and place a check mark next to the USB
    WIA Driver. At the completion of the software installation, simply connect
    your camera to the computer, and Windows will automatically complete the WIA
    Driver installation for you.

    Version 7.0 or Version 7.1

    WIA Driver installation is automatic -- Windows will only install the WIA
    Driver in Windows Me and Windows XP. There is no option to install the
    'plain' USB TWAIN Driver. Install the software from the Canon Digital Camera
    Solutions Disk, and, when complete, connect your camera to the computer.
    Windows will automatically complete the WIA Driver installation.

    Renee, Oct 24, 2004
  4. Seppo Sipilä

    Art Salmons Guest

    Buy a low cost USB memory card reader. The computer sees it as an
    external drive plus the image transfer is very fast. Depending where
    you live they run between 9.95 to 29.95. The higher cost being the USB
    2.0 version.

    Art Salmons

    Art Salmons, Oct 24, 2004
  5. Seppo Sipilä

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Seppo Sipilä wrote:

    > Hi, I just got a Canon S1 IS, and it sure is an improvement to the
    > years-old Sony Cybershot I have used previously.
    >
    > There's one thing that the Sony did in a handier way though - it had a
    > USB mass storage device driver so that the contents of the memorystick
    > showed on "My Computer" as another hard disk. It was really quick and
    > easy to cut/paste stuff from the camera to my hard disk.
    >
    > The Canon has a TWAIN driver which requires a compatible program to be
    > started to acquire the images from the camera and then save them to
    > files. Sure, there is a program for that in the camera package, but
    > this is nowhere near as handy as the Sony approach.
    >
    > So, is there any way of seeing the memory of the Canon cameras as just
    > another hard disk in Windows?

    Canon doesn't support USB mass storage.. Their cameras are protocol
    driven.

    If you use Canon's proprietary protocol, then you have to use Canon's
    supplied software.

    The newer Canon cameras also support PTP (Picture Transfer Protocol)
    This has become an industry standard and has been adopted by all the
    digicam makers that produce cameras that don't support USB Mass storage.

    PTP is built into WindowsXP. Your camera *should* have a 'Protocol' menu
    selection with two choices... 'Normal' and 'PTP'

    If you select PTP and plug the camera into a WinXP machine, it should
    recognize the camera and give you access similar to USB mass storage.
    Normal puts the camera in Canon's proprietary mode.

    I just picked up a $15.00 USB card reader for my 10D. That lets me access
    the card as if it were a drive..

    Jim Townsend, Oct 24, 2004
  6. >I opened the LCD window on the camera, attached the USB cable from the
    >camera to the computer, ignored the Windows 'camera connected' dialog box,
    >went Windows explorer and the camera appeared as hard disk 'Canon PowerShot
    >S1 IS'.

    Thanks all for the advice - I got Win98SE running on my old home
    computer, so the WIA driver doesn't work for me then... I guess I'm
    stuck with the TWAIN driver until I upgrade to XP.

    Anyway, the camera is really nice... I love the image stabilizer :)

    S.

    Seppo Sipilä, Oct 24, 2004
  7. >Thanks all for the advice - I got Win98SE running on my old home
    >computer, so the WIA driver doesn't work for me then... I guess I'm
    >stuck with the TWAIN driver until I upgrade to XP.

    Hmm, of course I could go for a card reader too... just a bit more
    awkward with the need to remove the card.

    S.

    Seppo Sipilä, Oct 24, 2004
  8. Seppo Sipilä

    Dave Cohen Guest

    Seppo Sipilä wrote:

    >>Thanks all for the advice - I got Win98SE running on my old home
    >>computer, so the WIA driver doesn't work for me then... I guess I'm
    >>stuck with the TWAIN driver until I upgrade to XP.

    > Hmm, of course I could go for a card reader too... just a bit more
    > awkward with the need to remove the card.
    >
    > S.

    xp is more convenient, but the supplied zoombrowser works, although I
    prefer the earlier version. I'm pretty sure you can aquire in irfanview,
    been a while since I ran win98se.
    Dave Cohen

    Dave Cohen, Oct 24, 2004
  9. Seppo Sipilä

    Renee Guest

    "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    > Seppo Sipilä wrote:
    >
    > If you select PTP and plug the camera into a WinXP machine, it should
    > recognize the camera and give you access similar to USB mass storage.

    Jim, as far as I can tell, this is incorrect and does not pertain to the S1
    IS. You do not need to select PTP in order for WinXP to recognize the camera
    and give access similar to USB mass storage. Maybe it works that way on your
    model but I don't see any indication that it works that way on this one.

    It does it automatically (while in 'Normal' mode) as long as the WIA driver
    has been installed.

    I believe Seppo's problem is that he using Windows 98 and Canon doesn't
    provide a WIA driver for that OS.

    Renee

    P.S.

    I love my card reader, too. It's easy to remove the card from the camera, my
    USB 2 reader and laptop adapter make transferring fast, and I save my camera
    batteries charge. Didn't have to purchase an AC adapter as an alternative to
    using the batteries. Definitely the best way to go.

    Renee, Oct 24, 2004
  10. Seppo Sipilä

    > Anyway, the camera is really nice... I love the image stabilizer :)
    >
    > S.

    Yea, after using this for a few months now, I'm convinced that the IS has
    really paid off. I've gotten some nice 10x zoom shots of birds and squirrels
    high in trees. Also, the zoom and IS worked (what I consider) great when I
    took some shots of performances in a dark theater this summer.

    Someone in another thread in this ng mentioned not to get anything above a
    4x zoom because the shots come out shaky. But I haven't found that to be
    true.

    Renee, Oct 24, 2004
  11. In Message-ID:<> posted
    on 24 Oct 2004 07:38:13 -0700, Art Salmons wrote:

    >Buy a low cost USB memory card reader. The computer sees it as an
    >external drive plus the image transfer is very fast. Depending where
    >you live they run between 9.95 to 29.95. The higher cost being the USB
    >2.0 version.

    Good advice, to which I'd add;
    get a multi-card reader so you can accommodate your friends' cards, or
    your own future changes. Plus, you can also store non-image files on
    memory cards too, encrypted if you like, for whatever that suggests. <g>
    --

    JK

    Justín Käse, Oct 24, 2004
  12. In Message-ID:<> posted on
    Sun, 24 Oct 2004 16:59:12 GMT, Seppo Sipilä wrote:

    >>I opened the LCD window on the camera, attached the USB cable from the
    >>camera to the computer, ignored the Windows 'camera connected' dialog box,
    >>went Windows explorer and the camera appeared as hard disk 'Canon PowerShot
    >>S1 IS'.

    >Thanks all for the advice - I got Win98SE running on my old home
    >computer, so the WIA driver doesn't work for me then... I guess I'm
    >stuck with the TWAIN driver until I upgrade to XP.

    I have XP-Pro on one machine that recognizes the camera automatically,
    but on my favorite, this 98SE machine, I use the Canon ZoomBrowser
    software.
    It has an auto-detect that can be run as a startup loaded process called
    [stimon.exe] that will detect when the camera gets plugged in and query
    it for images.
    There seems to be a bit of a quirk with the [stimon.exe] process
    however, that will freeze windows, requiring a reboot, if you turn the
    camera off, or unplug the USB cable before stopping it. This can be
    avoided by using a prockill app to unload it first. I use AppSwat found
    here: http://in.tech.yahoo.com/020119/94/1e5da.html

    >Anyway, the camera is really nice... I love the image stabilizer :)
    >
    >S.

    The S1-IS is my first personally owned digicam, so gets lots of use, and
    I definitely enjoy all the many capabilities in such a small package.
    ....and yes the IS is amazing, being able to do full 32x zoom shots hand
    held (equivalent to about 1200mm in a 35), and not getting just a bunch
    of streaks. <g>
    --

    JK

    Justín Käse, Oct 24, 2004
  13. Seppo Sipilä

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Renee wrote:

    > "Jim Townsend" <> wrote in message
    >> Seppo Sipilä wrote:
    >>
    >> If you select PTP and plug the camera into a WinXP machine, it should
    >> recognize the camera and give you access similar to USB mass storage.

    > Jim, as far as I can tell, this is incorrect and does not pertain to the S1
    > IS. You do not need to select PTP in order for WinXP to recognize the camera
    > and give access similar to USB mass storage. Maybe it works that way on your
    > model but I don't see any indication that it works that way on this one.
    >
    > It does it automatically (while in 'Normal' mode) as long as the WIA driver
    > has been installed.

    I didn't know the newer models autodetect.. (Obviously a good idea :)

    Jim Townsend, Oct 25, 2004
  14. Seppo Sipilä

    Matt Ion Guest

    Seppo Sipilä wrote:

    >>Thanks all for the advice - I got Win98SE running on my old home
    >>computer, so the WIA driver doesn't work for me then... I guess I'm
    >>stuck with the TWAIN driver until I upgrade to XP.

    > Hmm, of course I could go for a card reader too... just a bit more
    > awkward with the need to remove the card.

    You start finding those less awkward you as you acquire more cards :)

    Also, I dunno about your camera, but I find using a card reader, even on
    USB 1.1, I get a lot better speed than transferring directly from my
    300D. Not to mention, the card reader is small and sticks nicely to the
    side of my monitor with double-sticky tape, as opposed to the amount of
    desk space the 300D takes up (especially with the 75-300 zoom on it).

    Matt Ion, Oct 25, 2004
  15. Seppo Sipilä

    magickarle Guest

    "Renee" <> wrote in message news:<CZRed.17866$>...
    > "Seppo Sipilä" <> wrote in message
    > >
    > > Anyway, the camera is really nice... I love the image stabilizer :)
    > >
    > > S.

    > Yea, after using this for a few months now, I'm convinced that the IS has
    > really paid off. I've gotten some nice 10x zoom shots of birds and squirrels
    > high in trees. Also, the zoom and IS worked (what I consider) great when I
    > took some shots of performances in a dark theater this summer.
    >
    > Someone in another thread in this ng mentioned not to get anything above a
    > 4x zoom because the shots come out shaky. But I haven't found that to be
    > true.

    It's normal, the canon powershot got a stabilizator

    magickarle, Oct 26, 2004