    key points of exposure, to which the camera then balances for a proper
    exposure. is this not what photographers do with a refelective light
    meter when they assertain the exposure of a studio setup?
    bruin70, Jul 24, 2003

  2. bruin70

    Paul Cordes Guest

    "bruin70" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > i am new to digital, and use it to shoot my artwork. i bought a canon
    > g3, and have been very pleased with the manual white balance feature.
    > this is critcal for me. i'm surprised there is no exposure correction
    > as well. exposure correction would be a natural i think, because if a
    > camera can adjust to a neutral color(white/grey card) why can't it
    > adjust to their values as well.
    >
    > so a question came to mind.....is there a camera with a movable spot
    > meter(canon already has a movable focal point) that allows you to pick
    > key points of exposure, to which the camera then balances for a proper
    > exposure. is this not what photographers do with a refelective light
    > meter when they assertain the exposure of a studio setup?

    Incident light meter.....
    And you could buy a Wallace Expodisc http://www.expodisc.com/
    Then your camera can behave like an incident light meter.

    Or you could just take your exposure information from the grey card ";^)
    Paul Cordes, Jul 24, 2003

  3. "bruin70" <> wrote in message
    > i am new to digital, and use it to shoot my artwork. i bought a canon
    > g3, and have been very pleased with the manual white balance feature.
    > this is critcal for me. i'm surprised there is no exposure correction
    > as well. exposure correction would be a natural i think, because if a
    > camera can adjust to a neutral color(white/grey card) why can't it
    > adjust to their values as well.

    > so a question came to mind.....is there a camera with a movable spot
    > meter(canon already has a movable focal point) that allows you to pick
    > key points of exposure, to which the camera then balances for a proper
    > exposure. is this not what photographers do with a refelective light
    > meter when they assertain the exposure of a studio setup?

    Your camera's matrix metering takes several readings from different parts of
    the image, looks up the pattern of readings in a database, and tries to
    guess what you are doing. When it guesses right, you're home free, but since
    it never explains its guesses, you can't tell if it guessed right.

    You can use either spot metering or incident metering to actually measure
    the intensities of light in the image and use that information to decide the
    exposure yourself.

    That is, take the camera off the tripod and use the spot meter to measure
    the various points in the scene (artwork in your case). The spot meter works
    best if you understand the basics of simplified zone exposure.

    http://simplifiedzonesystem.com/

    The book advertised above is really quite good. Basic, simple, repetitious.
    But effective at banging the concepts into your head.

    For the gory details: http://www.normankoren.com/zonesystem.html

    Note that digital cameras act like slide film; you only get FIVE, not 10 or
    11, zones. Read the "Simplified zone system summary" box first.

    You can also use an 18% gray card (Kodak makes them, Amazon sells them) to
    make the G3 function as an incident meter. I prefer in-camera spot metering
    with a simplified zone approach since (a) it measures what the camera
    actually sees, (b) it doesn't require being at the location to measure the
    light hitting your subject, and (c), it doesn't require guessing
    compensation for filters, tele/wide converters, or intervening haze. But
    incident metering has its partisans too.

    David J. Littleboy
    Tokyo, Japan
    David J. Littleboy, Jul 24, 2003
  4. (bruin70) writes:

    > i am new to digital, and use it to shoot my artwork. i bought a canon
    > g3, and have been very pleased with the manual white balance feature.
    > this is critcal for me. i'm surprised there is no exposure correction
    > as well. exposure correction would be a natural i think, because if a
    > camera can adjust to a neutral color(white/grey card) why can't it
    > adjust to their values as well.
    >
    > so a question came to mind.....is there a camera with a movable spot
    > meter(canon already has a movable focal point) that allows you to pick
    > key points of exposure, to which the camera then balances for a proper
    > exposure. is this not what photographers do with a refelective light
    > meter when they assertain the exposure of a studio setup?

    My Olympus C-2100UZ has this, and I think most of Olympus' higher end cameras
    have it. You turn on multimetering, and it will average up to 8 different
    exposures. I have never used it. What I usually do, especially with sunsets,
    is enable auto bracketing, and fire off 5 shots, and later pick the one I like.

    --
    Michael Meissner
    email:
    Michael Meissner, Jul 24, 2003