    equation the send signal on the router stops within just a couple of
    seconds. Please let me know if I am on the right track here. Thanks in
    advance!

    Denny, Aug 26, 2005

  2. Denny

    created Guest

    the router may be bad, but it is also possible the firmware has a problem,
    I would try going to linksys.com and looking for an updated version of the
    firmware for your router. I have had similar problems with a different
    linksys device and a firmware upgrade fixed the problem in my case.

    created, Aug 27, 2005

  3. Denny

    David {MVP} Guest

    I do not believe that you have posted enough to get a good answer to this
    question. Anyone answering your question must assume some things, and
    his/her answer will have more to do with these assumptions than with what
    you have posted I believe.

    So to begin with a router is not like an extension cord. You can not just
    plug it in between, two or more devices and expect them to continue to talk
    as if nothing has changed. I really am not sure if that is what you are
    doing, or trying to do. A router is a router because it takes one address
    and allows it to appear as many address behind the router. So anything in
    front of the router will only be able to see the router, and will not be
    able to see the one, two, three, or many more devices behind the router.
    Kind of think of it as a two way mirror. If you look at the mirror from one
    side, all you see is the mirror, if you are behind the mirror you can look
    through the mirror and see the world. Same kind of thing applies to the
    router.

    When you add the router to your LAN all computers that plug into it (that
    are behind it), will need to release and renew their IP address. As they
    should be assigned a new IP address, now if the router is not configured
    correctly, the router can send out "bad" addresses to the computers that are
    connected to it. Preventing them from connecting to the internet. But that
    is operator error, and not a bad or broken/defective router. Have you
    renewed the IP address on the computers connected to the router? Have the IP
    addresses changed? Has the router been configured to work with your system?
    Have the computers that connect to the router been configured to work with
    the router? The computers that you are attempting to connect to the router
    may have been told to only use one address, and to always use this address.
    If so then any router you add to your network may appear to not work. This
    is not a router problem, but rather the way your PCs have been configured.

    --
    David {MVP}
    Microsoft Mobile Devices

    benefit of all of us...
    The MARA Program - http://www.mobileav.org/index.html

    rights...

    Spelling and grammar errors left in for those that need a little joy in
    their life by correcting me.

    David {MVP}, Aug 27, 2005
  4. Denny

    Denny Guest

    This did end up being a router problem. After going through all of the
    steps to fix the problem with 5 different Lynksys techs the problem wasn't
    solved. I could surf the Net, download files, receive and send email, etc.,
    but as soon as I went to a page like MSNBC that had streaming video the
    connection would drop. When I took the router out of the equation the
    streaming video along with all the rest worked as in the past. So, I
    purchased a new router connected it to the network and everything is working
    without a hitch.

    Denny, Aug 27, 2005
  5. Denny

    Denny Guest

    Thanks for the response created. I did reflash the firmware but that didn't
    solve the problem. I worked with 5 different Lynksys techs and did
    everything they asked and the problem persisted. After purchasing a new
    router the problem is fixed. I just have to conclude the router failed.

    Denny, Aug 27, 2005