    early 2007. -- So my question is this: Is the PIX 506E too outdated for us
    to go to the trouble of setting up and using? Thanks.

    Leon
    Leon Willard, Apr 10, 2006

  2. In article <uWx_f.67429$>,
    Leon Willard <> wrote:
    >However, I
    >checked Cisco's site and it appears that Cisco has discontinued support on
    >the PIX software, and plans to discontinue support on the PIX hardware in
    >early 2007.

    Would you be able to post a link for that information? I haven't
    received any EOL/EOS letter along those lines. The EoS/EoL section at
    http://www.cisco.com/go/pix does not indicate anything like that
    at present.

    The closest I can find for that is
    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/prod_eol_notice0900aecd804405cd.html
    which announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card"
    (leaving the VPN+ card unchanged.)
    Walter Roberson, Apr 10, 2006

  3. Leon Willard

    Leon Willard Guest

    Here is the link -

    http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_qanda_item09186a0080091b17.shtml

    Here is the item I mentioned that came that link:

    Q. How long will the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms be supported?
    A. The support schedule for the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms is as
    follows:

    a.. End of sale: May 24, 2002 (no longer available for purchase)
    b.. End of software support: May 24, 2005
    c.. End of hardware support: May 24, 2007 (hardware repairs or exchanges
    are no longer available)
    Leon

    Leon Willard, Apr 10, 2006
  4. Leon Willard

    Brian V Guest

    "Leon Willard" <> wrote in message
    > Here is the link -
    >
    > http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/products_qanda_item09186a0080091b17.shtml
    >
    > Here is the item I mentioned that came that link:
    >
    > Q. How long will the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms be supported?
    > A. The support schedule for the Cisco PIX 506 and 515 platforms is as
    > follows:
    >
    > a.. End of sale: May 24, 2002 (no longer available for purchase)
    > b.. End of software support: May 24, 2005
    > c.. End of hardware support: May 24, 2007 (hardware repairs or exchanges
    > are no longer available)
    > Leon
    >

    > "Walter Roberson" <> wrote in message
    >> In article <uWx_f.67429$>,
    >> Leon Willard <> wrote:
    >>>However, I
    >>>checked Cisco's site and it appears that Cisco has discontinued support
    >>>on
    >>>the PIX software, and plans to discontinue support on the PIX hardware in
    >>>early 2007.

    >> Would you be able to post a link for that information? I haven't
    >> received any EOL/EOS letter along those lines. The EoS/EoL section at
    >> http://www.cisco.com/go/pix does not indicate anything like that
    >> at present.
    >>
    >> The closest I can find for that is
    >> http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/vpndevc/ps2030/prod_eol_notice0900aecd804405cd.html
    >> which announced a few days ago about the "VPN Accelerator Card"
    >> (leaving the VPN+ card unchanged.)

    Leon,
    That's for the plain ole 506, you have a 506E which is a current pix,
    same as the 515E is a current. For what you have it's a great box.
    -Brian
    Brian V, Apr 11, 2006
  5. Leon Willard

    Leon Willard Guest

    Just what I needed to know! -- Thanks very much for everybody's input. --
    Now I gotta go start negotiating for that PIX.

    Leon

    Leon Willard, Apr 12, 2006
  6. In article <uWx_f.67429$>,
    Leon Willard <> wrote:
    >An organization we work with has a Cisco PIX 506E that they are no longer
    >using, which we may be able to get for little or no money.

    Caution: the PIX license doesn't transfer if they sell you or
    give you the PIX: if you ever expect to upgrade or get support,
    then you would have to "relicense" the machine.
    Walter Roberson, Apr 13, 2006