    constructed properly.

    Please respond to the group(s). The e-mail address is just a spam
    bucket these days that I rarely check.
    SF, Jul 25, 2003

  2. SF

    sittingduck Guest

    (SF) wrote:

    > I'm considering switching from PAR to PAR2 as my preferred recovery
    > method due to the many benefits of the PAR2 method. Can anyone
    > actively using QuickPar and PAR2 provide any feedback as to its
    > stability?
    >
    > I'd hate to switch too early and find out three years from now I'm
    > unable to recover files from a CD-R because the parity files weren't
    > constructed properly.
    >
    > Please respond to the group(s). The e-mail address is just a spam
    > bucket these days that I rarely check.

    PAR2 seems to work fine... its major advantage is that incomplete files
    count.
    sittingduck, Jul 25, 2003

  3. SF

    DC Guest

    sittingduck wrote:

    > PAR2 seems to work fine... its major advantage is that incomplete files
    > count.

    Question, then: in Xnews, how do you decode incompletes (you know, get 'em on
    the hard drive) so that par2 can do its thing?

    Thanks.

    Fup2set to nsr, BTW.

    --
    DC

    "Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach him to fish and you can
    sell him fishing gear. RED GREEN
    DC, Jul 25, 2003
  4. SF

    Zeus Guest

    (SF) wrote in

    > I'm considering switching from PAR to PAR2 as my preferred recovery
    > method due to the many benefits of the PAR2 method. Can anyone
    > actively using QuickPar and PAR2 provide any feedback as to its
    > stability?
    >
    > I'd hate to switch too early and find out three years from now I'm
    > unable to recover files from a CD-R because the parity files weren't
    > constructed properly.
    >
    > Please respond to the group(s). The e-mail address is just a spam
    > bucket these days that I rarely check.

    I'm running FSRaid and Quickpar at the moment until I'm fully happy with
    QuickPar (which means its actually gonna recover something!! Maybe I've
    just been lucky but all my d/l's have been fine just lately, and never had
    a chance to see Quickpar do its stuff).

    I do have one question though... why are you talking about trying to
    recover files "years from now"?? If you download stuff, then surely you
    would want to know that what you download is ok "now"... not sometime in
    the future. Do you download and then wait ages before you extract what you
    download? (in which case, whatever you downloaded might have been
    superceded by newer versions etc). Was just wondering...
    Zeus, Jul 25, 2003
  5. SF

    DC Guest

    Zeus wrote:

    > I do have one question though... why are you talking about trying to
    > recover files "years from now"?? If you download stuff, then surely you
    > would want to know that what you download is ok "now"... not sometime in
    > the future.

    Where did the OP mention "downloads"? PAR has other uses, too.

    DC, Jul 25, 2003
  6. SF

    SF Guest

    Zeus <> wrote...

    > I do have one question though... why are you talking about trying to
    > recover files "years from now"??

    We archive a fair amount of stuff to CD-R. Since CD-R isn't the most
    stable of storage media I expect some data loss over time, and though
    we use Mitsui blanks for important data we use plain old Imation discs
    for most things.

    The theory is that creating PAR files and putting them on the discs
    should significantly extend the effective life of the data.
    SF, Jul 25, 2003
  7. SF

    SINNER Guest

    ["Followup-To:" header set to news.software.readers.]
    Zeus Wrote in news.software.readers, on Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:34:27 GMT:

    [...]

    > I do have one question though... why are you talking about trying to
    > recover files "years from now"?? If you download stuff, then surely you
    > would want to know that what you download is ok "now"... not sometime in
    > the future. Do you download and then wait ages before you extract what you
    > download? (in which case, whatever you downloaded might have been
    > superceded by newer versions etc). Was just wondering...

    Most of the time these "parts" weigh in less then the recombined
    extracted archive. I will burn it split (after verifying it) and burn it
    to CD in the downloaded form and burn a few of the PAR files as well.
    Media is not always as reliable as we would like it to be.
    --
    David
    If a man had a child who'd gone anti-social, killed perhaps, he'd still
    SINNER, Jul 26, 2003
  8. SF

    Lenny_Nero Guest

    Around Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:53:07 -0700 When, SF Uttered...

    > Zeus <> wrote...
    >
    >> I do have one question though... why are you talking about trying to
    >> recover files "years from now"??

    > We archive a fair amount of stuff to CD-R. Since CD-R isn't the most
    > stable of storage media I expect some data loss over time, and though we
    > use Mitsui blanks for important data we use plain old Imation discs for
    > most things.
    >
    > The theory is that creating PAR files and putting them on the discs
    > should significantly extend the effective life of the data.

    I had done this first, by mistake - as in burning stuff to CD before I had
    *cleaned up* the folders and .par files had been left in there - later
    this helped me recover files as you say.

    So now with anything I think is important enuff to warrant more that the
    single backup I normally do of each disk .par files are included.

    I must admit to not really moving over to .par2 for NNTP stuff as yet, but
    IMO it looks like having a even better future than .par 1.

    --
    Lenny.
    Really Understand What It Is Your Using,
    Lenny_Nero, Jul 29, 2003
  9. SF

    Me Guest

    I don't comprehend these issues?

    Help me please.

    Me, Apr 9, 2004
  10. SF

    why? Guest

    Re: I don't comprehend these issues?

    x-post trimmed from Newsgroups:
    24hoursupport.helpdesk,news.software.readers,news.software.nntp
    to 24HSHD

    On Fri, 09 Apr 2004 16:46:41 GMT, Me wrote:

    >Help me please.
    >
    >SF wrote:
    >> I'm considering switching from PAR to PAR2 as my preferred recovery
    >> method due to the many benefits of the PAR2 method. Can anyone
    >> actively using QuickPar and PAR2 provide any feedback as to its
    >> stability?

    <snip>

    To PAR2 or not to PAR, that is the question.

    Me
    why?, Apr 9, 2004
  11. SF

    Boomer Guest

    Me <> wrote in

    > Help me please.

    Help you what?

    You are replying to a message from July of last year.
    Please don't change the subject line unless it's a
    totally different question. (I'll change it back.)

    If you have a question please give details and start a new
    thread.

    Hopefully these will help.

    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm
    http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html#asking

    Did you mean to cross post to all these groups?

    Boomer, Apr 9, 2004