Is the Microsoft brand helping or hurting Windows Phone 7?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2011.

  1. <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/cell-phones/is-the-microsoft-brand-helping-or-hurting-windows-phone-7/6011>

    Myself, I don’t think the brand itself is holding the product back. But
    Windows Phone 7 is certainly another contribution to the perception that
    Microsoft is a company stuck in defensive mode, watching the markets
    where it is invulnerable slowly lose their relevance.

    To Microsoft, everything must be done in terms of “Windowsâ€. With their
    previous effort in the smartphone arena, Windows Mobile, they tried to
    put a Start menu on an ultramobile device, which was a really dumb thing
    to do. But they persisted with it for years, until it became clear even
    to them that this was not sustainable.

    Windows Phone 7 answers that issue. But it is hedged round with so many
    restrictions: vendors are not allowed to put it on tablets—that market
    segment is reserved for regular Windows, so again we are back to the
    Start menu on an ultramobile device. It’s like they learned the bare
    minimum lesson, and they will need their arse kicked again before they
    will grudgingly take the lesson to the next level.

    I think this must reflect some internal power tussle within Microsoft
    itself: the Windows crowd is so powerful, anything that requires a
    mindset fundamentally incompatible with desktop Windows is a threat to
    them. The end result is that they are strangling Windows Phone 7 before
    it even has much of a chance to flourish.

    More than one reviewer has commented how much of a muchness all the
    Windows Phone 7 devices are. I thought Microsoft set only a baseline
    hardware spec, that the vendors were free to innovate beyond that. But
    it turns out they’re all pretty much sticking to the baseline spec.

    But why? Don’t they want to outdo each other and grab market share from
    the competition? It’s like they have no enthusiasm for that. And many of
    these are the same companies that are doing so well in the feverish
    competition among Android phones, for example, so it can’t be that they
    are just stupid; it must be because they don’t see much of a future for
    Windows Phone 7.

    In which case, why bother to bring out WP7 products at all? Could it be
    that somebody is being, shall we say, pretty persuasive with them?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, May 24, 2011

  2. In message <irf83n$rk5$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > More than one reviewer has commented how much of a muchness all the
    > Windows Phone 7 devices are.

    Some were saying the upcoming “Mango†update was supposed to change all
    this, but early indications are not good
    <http://www.zdnet.com/blog/microsoft/will-mango-move-windows-phones-from-so-so-to-sexy/9561>.

    > In which case, why bother to bring out WP7 products at all? Could it be
    > that somebody is being, shall we say, pretty persuasive with them?

    At some point, of course the persuader will run out of persuasion, and
    market forces will kick in and tell them to piss off.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jun 1, 2011