  1. Guest

    1. Advertising

  2. In article <>, "geoff" <> wrote:
    >Allistar wrote:
    >> wrote:
    >>> This is just a link chaps

    > http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadget
    >s/

    >> I think I'll take a review of an Apple product on a Microsoft web
    >> site with a grain of salt.

    >And review on a Apple website would be totally objectie - Tui.

    Suggest that both these sorts of "reviews" should be treated with equal
    disdain. Obviously, both organisations have their own bias. :)

    (snip)

    Bruce Sinclair, Apr 8, 2010

  3. David Empson Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    > > This is just a link chaps
    > >

    > <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/ns/technology_and_science-tech_
    > and_gadgets/>
    >
    > I think I'll take a review of an Apple product on a Microsoft web site with
    > a grain of salt.

    Yes indeed. Right up Woger's alley. "Bah humbug. Microsoft doesn't have
    anything to compete with the iPad yet, so let's list everything we think
    is bad about it, in the hope it will discourage some potential buyers."

    For a more balanced review:

    http://arstechnica.com/apple/reviews/2010/04/ipad-review.ars

    This mention several of the issues raised in the MSNBC article.

    I'm reserving my opinion until I get to play with one, likely to be in
    the next week or two. I can't see a particular use for one myself (yet),
    but it may be of interest to some people I know.

    Note that Apple will previewing iPhone/iPad OS 4.0 on Friday morning (NZ
    time), which is likely to reveal details about many upcoming software
    improvements, with multitasking of 3rd party applications high on the
    rumour/wish list.

    Probable release is about June/July (with the next iPhone model), and it
    will be a free update for the iPad.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 8, 2010
  4. victor Guest

    On 09/04/10 08:10, Allistar wrote:

    > Did they mention if it was the Wifi only version?

    Thats the one.
    Doesn't even tether to the iphone with bluetooth!
    What garbage !
    Even my old Palm TX used to connect through my phone.
    As long as Apple keeps playing these stupid lockin games its off my list.

    victor, Apr 9, 2010
  5. David Empson Guest

    Allistar <> wrote:

    > Mutlley wrote:
    >
    > >>Out of interest, I wonder when they'll be available in NZ.

    > > Heard some on the radio last weekend saying not before Labor weekend
    > > in NZ..

    > Did they mention if it was the Wifi only version?

    The second release for the iPad ("late April") in several countries
    including Australia will be a simultaneous release for the WiFi-only and
    WiFi+3G models. (The US will get the WiFi+3G model the same day.)

    I'd expect all countries that get it later will get the WiFi and WiFi+3G
    models simultaneously.

    New Zealand might get the iPad at the same time as Australia, as we will
    then have access to the same level of servicing as the iPhone, and Apple
    New Zealand is run out of Australia anyway.

    If not, Labour weekend (October) seems extremely unlikely - it should be
    available well before that.

    The only reasons I can see for delaying it beyond late April are:

    - Regulatory approval for operating new wireless devices in New Zealand.
    I can't imagine that would take longer than Australia.

    - Distribution and servicing agreements with companies like Vodafone and
    Renaissance. Also shouldn't take long.

    - Staff training. A day?

    - Supply constraints. NZ hardly compares to larger countries so that
    would be a rather flimsy excuse.

    - Lack of urgency from Apple for sales to minor markets. Bingo.

    The iBooks Store may not be available outside the US (or specifically in
    New Zealand) for some time after the release of the iPad, depending on
    local distribution issues (same issues as for music, film and TV). That
    shouldn't hold up the release of the iPad.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 9, 2010
  6. Gib Bogle Guest

    Gib Bogle, Apr 11, 2010
  7. victor Guest

    On 12/04/2010 9:16 a.m., geoff wrote:
    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    >> Allistar wrote:

    >>> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/ns/technology_and_science-tech_and_gadgets/
    >>>
    >>> I think I'll take a review of an Apple product on a Microsoft web
    >>> site with a grain of salt.

    >> Most of those points sound very convincing to me. My eeePC looks
    >> much more practical.

    > You now what a pain it is when you get a finger-mark on your LCD screen -
    > imagine if that was 'de rigueur', across the whole f'n screen !
    >
    > geoff

    You should keep a box of tissues handy
    Apple uses science.
    http://gizmodo.com/5302097/giz-bill-nye-explains-the-iphone-3gss-oleophobic-screen/gallery/

    victor, Apr 11, 2010
  8. AD. Guest

    On Apr 12, 9:16 am, "geoff" <> wrote:

    > You now what a pain it is when you get a finger-mark on your LCD screen -
    > imagine if that was 'de rigueur', across the whole f'n screen !

    That's what the new iPad wallpaper is for...

    http://lonelysandwich.com/post/504271269/fingerspoo

    Now you won't notice it.

    --
    Cheers
    Anton

    AD., Apr 11, 2010
  9. David Empson Guest

    geoff <> wrote:

    > Gib Bogle wrote:
    > > Allistar wrote:
    > >> wrote:
    > >>>
    > >> <http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/36179255/ns/technology_and_science-tech_
    > >> and_gadgets/>
    > >>
    > >> I think I'll take a review of an Apple product on a Microsoft web
    > >> site with a grain of salt.

    > > Most of those points sound very convincing to me. My eeePC looks
    > > much more practical.

    > You now what a pain it is when you get a finger-mark on your LCD screen -
    > imagine if that was 'de rigueur', across the whole f'n screen !

    I have an iPhone 3GS with the oleophobic coating. It is pretty damn
    good. Just the action of putting it back in my pocket cleans off most of
    the fingerprints. Shirt sleeve does a pretty good job too. I've never
    needed to bother with a special cloth. The iPad can probably be wiped
    clean with a hankerchief or any other handy cloth.

    In comparison, my laptop screen (plastic glossy) and earlier iPod Touch
    screen (glass) are awful - require very careful cleaning.

    --
    David Empson

    David Empson, Apr 12, 2010