Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Rob, Jul 29, 2003.

  1. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Ladies and Gents,

    I find myself taking tons of pictures whenever I go away.
    I am fascinated with taking pictures the one problem is that it has been
    mostly with a point and shoot.
    I live in the nyc area and I'm looking to finally take a beginners course on
    photography.

    Currently I have a Canon c3030 and although it has some manual features I
    thought
    that I should get myself a more advance camera.
    Reading all the posts on the Canon EOS1ds I can't help but drool.
    after about 30 minutes or so I come back to reality and I say to myself hey
    you beginner stop dreaming.
    Once I wake up and come to my senses and I think that I should by the EOS
    10D.
    By the time I get myself familiarized with the all the features and with the
    technique that it is required to take great pictures
    I will have bought myself a few lenses. I can then upgrade to a more advance
    camera ( 1ds ) by then it might be down to $2K :).

    In any case my question is:
    Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?
    Should I start with something bigger or smaller?
    Any good recomendation on where I can take some classes in nyc?
    Thank for taking the time to read this lengthy post.
    And thanks for all your input.
    --
    Please reply to the group.
    <>>< ><<> >
    Rob, Jul 29, 2003

  2. Rob

    Jim Townsend Guest

    Rob wrote:

    > In any case my question is:
    > Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?
    > Should I start with something bigger or smaller?
    > Any good recomendation on where I can take some classes in nyc?
    > Thank for taking the time to read this lengthy post.
    > And thanks for all your input.

    Sure.. It's a 6mp SLR and as such has fast autofocus and pretty noise free
    ISO's up to 800. I don't know what you mean by 'start with'. There aren't a
    lot of SLR's out there.

    Expect to pay the standard $1400 for the camera. Don't forget that the 10D
    comes without a lens or flash card.

    If you want quality photos, and a versatile range of focal lengths, expect to
    pay at least as much as the you did for the camera in lenses.. So budget at
    least $2000.00 to get started. Canon 'L' glass will take you over $4000.00

    Don't just slap on a cheapie lens. (Lenses DO make a noticeable difference on
    the 10D).
    Jim Townsend, Jul 29, 2003

  3. Rob

    S f S Guest

    Rob,

    In article <DClVa.1655$>, "Rob"
    <> writes:

    >In any case my question is:
    >Is the EOS 10D a good camera to start off with?

    Yes. You need an SLR and the Canon 10D is the cheapest Digital SLR. and VERY
    reliable and swift. Starting out with a point and shoot digital doesnt mean U
    will know how to use better a DSLR. The other Canon digital SLR is too
    expencive and wont make u a better photographer, only be able to make bigger
    prints.

    >Should I start with something bigger or smaller?

    The 10D is the right size if u have enough money for it and a good lens. If u
    want sharp and good pictures you have a choice of a few very good lenses one
    better than the other. Canon 17-40. or not so wide but VERY good ones: 28-105,
    28-135 Image Stabilizer, or 28-70L which is the one of the highest zoom lenses
    for the Canon camera system. And a must is the Canon 550EX Flash. This flash
    will make a huge difference unless you shoot natural light only.

    Its not worth starting with a point and shoot that most have shutter lag...
    Start with the good setup and improve yourself while using good glass and a
    super good camera.

    Cheeers,
    Sussan
    You may Email me taking off my name from my Email address in the header of
    this posted message.
    S f S, Jul 31, 2003
  4. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Wooo Hoooo!!!!
    I have some great news.
    My fiancée came home and for our 5th anniversary bought me the EROS digital.
    She also bought a gig sandisk card and a EF 28-105mm lens.
    I guess that I have to start reading all of the manuals that I bought to
    learn how to shoot,
    also the ones that came with the camera.

    Well after reading all of the replies I must say that they all had a valid
    point.
    However Susan's suggestion to "Start with the good setup and improve
    yourself while using good glass and a
    super good camera" made me think that even though I'm an amateur I can use
    the auto feature
    of the EOS 10D and gradually improve with the manual settings.

    Thanks to everyone who replied. I have to go and catch up on my readings.
    --rr

    Rob, Aug 2, 2003
  5. Rob

    Rob Guest

    Re: Is the EOS 10D...Yes it is true. I am in LOVE

    Yes it is true. I am in LOVE.
    She is soooo beautiful. I never thought that it would be love at first
    sight.
    I remember holding her for the first time only confirmed it.
    What a body. So smooth and well shaped she fits me like a glove.
    Just one touch and she is completely turned on.
    The way she looks at you. So clear and sharp.
    She is so good at figuring you out. She can almost instantly capture you
    soul,
    your personality. Your imperfection. She has a way of complementing your
    imperfections
    She is amazing. She is a true 10.
    I love my new Canon EOS 10.

    ....my fiancée I love her too..

    ...rr

    Rob, Aug 2, 2003
  6. Rob

    Lionel Guest

    On Sat, 02 Aug 2003 15:42:15 GMT, in
    <rZQWa.87103$>, "Rob" <>
    said:

    >Wooo Hoooo!!!!
    >I have some great news.
    >My fiancée came home and for our 5th anniversary bought me the EROS digital.

    ^^^^
    Is this the model that's optimised for shooting porn?

    Lionel, Aug 3, 2003
  7. Rob

    S f S Guest

    RR,

    I am glad I made a good suggestion and it was worth it.

    Take pictures in P mode, set the middle box as focal point.

    Press the * button before taking a picture while the middle focal point is on
    the subject. Its a great way to start with.

    Whats your email address??

    S f S, Aug 5, 2003
  8. Rob

    S f S Guest

    In article <rZQWa.87103$>, "Rob"
    <> writes:

    >My fiancée came home and for our 5th anniversary bought me the EROS digital.
    >She also bought a gig sandisk card and a EF 28-105mm lens.

    The Canon 550EX is a must!

    S f S, Aug 7, 2003
  9. Rob

    Lisa Horton Guest

    S f S wrote:

    > In article <rZQWa.87103$>, "Rob"
    > <> writes:
    >
    > >My fiancée came home and for our 5th anniversary bought me the EROS digital.
    > >She also bought a gig sandisk card and a EF 28-105mm lens.

    > The Canon 550EX is a must!

    I would suggest that unless one is at least moderately serious about
    photography, the 550EX may be overkill. The power difference between
    the 550EX and 420EX is quite small, unlike the substantial price
    difference. So unless one will be using the more advanced capabilities
    only offered by the 550EX, it would be spending money and carrying
    weight unnecessarily.

    Of course, the value of the 550EX increases exponentially if the intent
    is to impress :)

    Lisa
    Lisa Horton, Aug 8, 2003