    used d30's will drop now that the 300d has hit the market? Sorry for all the
    questions.

    George

    CARBUFF, Oct 30, 2003

  2. CARBUFF

    TiredRob Guest

    "CARBUFF" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Hi, I really want a 10d or a 300d but alas, I cant afford that. Ive been
    > looking at used and on ebay and I might be able to scrape up enough for a

    d30.
    > I currently have a rebel 2000 and a few ef lenses. My digital is a canon

    a10.
    > Is the d30 still a decent camera or is it considered a dinosaur. Is the

    d60 the
    > same camera with more megapixels? or is there more to it than that. Is the

    d30
    > firmware upgradeable and still being supported? Is it a better deal than
    > getting a 4 or 5 megapixel p&s, Im really quite happy with the results

    from my
    > a10 as far as p&s goes. I really want the dslr to learn more about

    photography
    > more quickly. And lastly, should I wait a little while thinking that

    prices on
    > used d30's will drop now that the 300d has hit the market? Sorry for all

    the
    > questions.
    >
    > George

    The D30 is still a decent camera, new models appearing isn't going to change
    th fact that the D30 did, and still does take very pleasing photographs.

    Yes, it's firmware upgradable, but this is largley irrelevant, because it
    already works so there's no need to 'fix' it.

    D60 is not quite the same camera with more pixels, but that's a big chunk of
    the difference. If you're going to spend the extra £££, I'd hold out for the
    300D.

    I tried some direct comparisons between the D30 and the Fuji 6900z, and
    Minolta Dimage 7i a while back. In my opinion, the D30 produced much cleaner
    images. A DSLR is also in my opinion, by far nicer to handle and use.

    It should be a great camera to learn with. I think they already lost the
    bulk of the cost - They began life at over £2000 (UK) and a friend of mine
    got one s/h for less than £500 a few weeks ago. I suspect any further price
    drops will be gradual.

    If you can't afford a 10D/300D I'd say go for the D30 and enjoy yourself. I
    doubt you'll be dissapointed.

    Rob.

    TiredRob, Oct 30, 2003

  3. CARBUFF

    Sam Guest

    I wouldn't call the D30 a dinosaur at all. I make *great* 8X10 prints with
    mine. If you covet a "real" camera ( an SLR ) instead of a P&S I'd go for
    it. I too doubt that you would be disappointed.
    Sam

    Sam, Oct 30, 2003
  4. CARBUFF

    CARBUFF Guest

    >If you can't afford a 10D/300D I'd say go for the D30 and enjoy yourself. I
    >doubt you'll be dissapointed.
    >
    >Rob.

    Thanks for the advice and please ignore the troll posing as me.

    George

    CARBUFF, Oct 30, 2003
  5. CARBUFF

    CARBUFF Guest

    >I wouldn't call the D30 a dinosaur at all. I make *great* 8X10 prints with
    >mine. If you covet a "real" camera ( an SLR ) instead of a P&S I'd go for
    >it. I too doubt that you would be disappointed.
    >Sam

    Thanks.

    George

    CARBUFF, Oct 30, 2003
  6. CARBUFF

    George Kerby Guest

    On 10/30/03 9:42 AM, in article
    , "CARBUFF"
    <> wrote:

    >> I wouldn't call the D30 a dinosaur at all. I make *great* 8X10 prints with
    >> mine. If you covet a "real" camera ( an SLR ) instead of a P&S I'd go for
    >> it. I too doubt that you would be disappointed.
    >> Sam

    > Thanks.
    >
    > George

    There sure are a lot of 'Georges' in here lately.

    George Kerby, Oct 30, 2003
  7. CARBUFF

    Lisa Horton Guest

    IMHO, this is all IMHO.

    The D30 is still a decent camera, and does have a few advantages over
    the 300D.

    Apart from more MP, the D60 is mostly the same camera as the D30, with a
    few minor upgrades.

    I don't think you'll see any further firmware upgrades for the D30, but
    it should be pretty well debugged by now.

    Compared to a P&S, it's much like comparing a film SLR to a film P&S.
    Would a film P&S be an acceptable alternative to your Rebel? :)

    The main drawback to the D30 is it's lack of fully functional AF, a
    drawback shared by the D60. We're talking Rebel G AF. Otherwise, the
    D30 offers full control, more than the 300D, and a better interface for
    the advanced user.

    I think that used D30 prices won't drop too much below $600 to $700, if
    at all below, at least in the immediate future.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 30, 2003
  8. CARBUFF

    PlaneGuy Guest

    I use a D30 and am exceptionally happy with it, knowing its limitations. I
    would suggest, that to me at least, the 300D is twice the camera the D30 is,
    and the 10D even better.

    These are the limitations of the D30 (compared mainly to the 10D as I heve
    never used a 300D, though many will still hold true):

    Pixels - this goes without saying really
    Noise - whilst the low noise of the D30 compared to the a10, there are even
    lower levels of noise in the newer Canon DSLRs, particularly at the higher
    ISOs. I would love the noise levels of the 10D at 1600 - my D30 is severely
    limited.
    Colour - I don't know if it is colour processing or white balance related,
    but the 10D just seems to have a much better colour processing ability. A
    pro acquaintance of mine (who moved from the D30 to 10D) swears it is due to
    the Digic processor.
    Autofocus - despite a few people reporting front/back focus problems with
    their 10D and 300D, these cameras focus faster (and as a general rule
    better) than the D30
    Flash - the flash algorithms seem to be greatly improved in the 10D.

    Now the advantages of the D30.
    Cost - buying second hand means you won't lose the initial depreciation.
    However as I suspect is the case with technology, the product will still
    depreciate rapidly.
    File Size - being only 3Mp, the generated file sizes are smaller. This
    lowers the computer requirements you need to process them
    Speed - IIRC (you can probably check at DPreview), the D30 has a faster
    frame rate than the 300D (3 vs just above 2 frames per second), but I
    believe it and the 10D (which is same speed) have larger buffers (take this
    point with a grain of salt, its from memory)
    300D restrictions - compared to the 10D the 300d seems to have some features
    disabled - Flash exposure compensation, second curtian flash, auto autofocus
    mode only and a few others (once again dpreview is the palce to check). If
    you really want to learn photography, these may be important. The D30
    doesn't have similar limitations.

    As I said at the start, I love my D30, but understand it is not the best
    camera around these days. I will look to upgrade in a couple of years
    (especially if the aussie dollar continues to rise). It will beat anything
    you can get from P&S's, and will still deliver great images (as long as the
    photgrapher is good enough, LOL). The 300D is better, and the 10D is better
    again.

    If you provide some description of the type of shooting you do, and the type
    you want to do in the future, then I may be able to give you my assessment
    as to whether the features of the new camera are worthwhile.

    PlaneGuy, Oct 31, 2003
  9. CARBUFF

    Guest

    ojunk (CARBUFF) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Hi, I really want a 10d or a 300d but alas, I cant afford that. Ive been
    > looking at used and on ebay and I might be able to scrape up enough for a d30.
    > I currently have a rebel 2000 and a few ef lenses. My digital is a canon a10.
    > Is the d30 still a decent camera or is it considered a dinosaur. Is the d60 the
    > same camera with more megapixels? or is there more to it than that. Is the d30
    > firmware upgradeable and still being supported? Is it a better deal than
    > getting a 4 or 5 megapixel p&s, Im really quite happy with the results from my
    > a10 as far as p&s goes. I really want the dslr to learn more about photography
    > more quickly.

    A compact range finder will teach you photography as well as an SLR.
    In some aspects a range finder is even better, e.g., flexible fill
    flash sync. The advantages of SLR are: TTL optical view finder, fast
    auto focus, prime lens, and high sensitivity.
    http://digitcamera.tripod.com/#slr

    , Oct 31, 2003
  10. ojunk (CARBUFF) writes:

    > Hi, I really want a 10d or a 300d but alas, I cant afford that. Ive
    > been looking at used and on ebay and I might be able to scrape up
    > enough for a d30. I currently have a rebel 2000 and a few ef
    > lenses. My digital is a canon a10. Is the d30 still a decent camera
    > or is it considered a dinosaur.

    Decent camera.

    > Is the d60 the
    > same camera with more megapixels?

    Well, one of them (I forget which) has a silver mode dial; on the
    other, it's black. And the D60 has a "Digital" emblem on the
    front. Oh, and I think the D60 lights up the indicator for the
    autofocus sensor that is actually being used; the D30 doesn't. But
    other than that, they are *extremely* similar.

    > or is there more to it than that. Is the d30
    > firmware upgradeable and still being supported?

    Well, Kodak is probably the only manufacturer who routinely adds new
    functionality or improved performance through firmware.

    > Is it a better deal than getting a 4 or 5 megapixel p&s, Im really
    > quite happy with the results from my a10 as far as p&s goes. I
    > really want the dslr to learn more about photography more
    > quickly.

    I must confess to being basically out of sympathy with point-and-shoot
    cameras; I would take a D30 over most 4-5MP P&S cameras in an instant.

    > And lastly, should I wait a little while thinking that
    > prices on used d30's will drop now that the 300d has hit the market?

    That's reasonable to hope for.

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 31, 2003
  11. Lisa Horton <> writes:

    <snip>

    > The main drawback to the D30 is it's lack of fully functional AF, a
    > drawback shared by the D60.

    I think that's a bit harsh. The autofocus certainly isn't the best
    available, but then we're not talking EOS 1D prices. The AF is
    limited, but not useless.

    > We're talking Rebel G AF. Otherwise, the
    > D30 offers full control, more than the 300D, and a better interface for
    > the advanced user.

    <snip>

    --
    -Stephen H. Westin

    Stephen H. Westin, Oct 31, 2003
  12. CARBUFF

    Lisa Horton Guest

    "Stephen H. Westin" wrote:

    > Lisa Horton <> writes:
    >
    > <snip>
    >
    > > The main drawback to the D30 is it's lack of fully functional AF, a
    > > drawback shared by the D60.

    > I think that's a bit harsh. The autofocus certainly isn't the best
    > available, but then we're not talking EOS 1D prices. The AF is
    > limited, but not useless.

    A bit harsh? Yes, I suppose so. But very mild compared to the things
    I used to say to my D30 when photographing moving subjects.

    But I think that "limited, but not useless" isn't so different from
    "lack of fully functional". I mean, it does function, just not very
    well.

    When the D30 came out, it's AF system was from a previous generation of
    Rebel AF. The then current Rebel (the Rebel 2000, IIRC) had a more
    advanced AF system. I thought it a bit odd that the new groundbreaking
    DSLR had AF inferior to the then lowest current film SLR from Canon.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Oct 31, 2003