  1. Steve

    Steve Guest

    Thanks
    Steve, Aug 3, 2004

  2. Hi Steve:

    No Microsoft course is ever required to take a certification test. What you
    need to assess is your personal need for the benefits of the hands-on,
    instructor-led class.

    As a Microsoft Trainer I am obviously an advocate of instructor lead
    learning, however it is not appropriate for every person under every
    circumstance.

    The benefits of the course for 70-272 (the MS course # is 2262) are as
    follows:
    The presence of an "expert" in the instructor to explain the concepts
    and demo configurations
    The ability to have access to the hardware/software config that you may
    not otherwise have
    A "good" resource in the training kit (I don't consider the book to be
    "great", but it is a good kit)
    The ability to meet and talk with other students who are either test
    prepping and/or working with the technology in the field.

    If you have experience with XP and the Office apps (2003), you could be a
    good candidate for self-study. If you go the self study route you should
    check the archives of this forum for posts from others who have had success
    and what they used. In general, look for resources such as:
    Good reference/prep book(s):
    The Exam Cram 2 series of books for the MCDST
    The Microsoft Pres (MS Press) books for the MCDST
    A good test prep tool:
    Self Test Software - www.selftestsoftware.com
    Measure Up - www.measureup.com
    Transcender - www.transcender.com
    Cram Session Guides - www.cramsession.com
    The MS Test Prep Guides:
    www.microsoft.com/learning

    Hope this helps.....

    --
    Shawn P Bolan
    MCT, MCSE (NT4, Win2k, Win2003), MCDST, Security+, A+, Network+

    Shawn P Bolan, Aug 4, 2004

  3. Steve

    Guest Guest

    Thank you very much Shawn........I will look into the
    course..........do you have any idea how much it costs?
    Thanks again ! Steve

    Guest, Aug 4, 2004
  4. Cost for MS-based courses at training centers can vary greatly, very hard to
    give a set price. Depends on the area you are in, the center itself, etc.

    My best advice is to check around with many centers, see what type of
    promo's or deals they will do...for instance, you can commonly negotiate to
    have test vouchers and/or practice test software (Self Test Software, etc)
    included in the price of the course.

    Also check with the training center on any class satisfaction guarantees,
    the ability to resit a class for no charge at a future date, etc.

    Hope this helps,

    Shawn P Bolan, Aug 4, 2004