Is the Casio EX S600 a decent tiny camera for $300

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by BrendaLee, Jul 1, 2006.

  1. BrendaLee

    BrendaLee Guest

    I am about to buy the Casio Exilim Card EX-S600 at Costco for about $330
    but before I do, I would like to ask you if that's a good buy (or if
    something similar is better out there) today?

    All I'm looking for is a small 5 megapixel or greater camera that takes
    good pictures. I know that's not much of a requirement but that's really
    all I want. I'm willing to spend in the $300 range.

    I fell in love with a nice silver Casio EX S600 at Costco and I am about to
    buy it - but before I do, I'd like to ask you if this is a smart move or if
    something is better at the same price.

    I already read the entire (technical) review at
    http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ex-s600_pg5.html
    http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05102401casio_s600.asp

    But, these unfortunately don't tell me if there is a better camera for the
    money or if there will be a successor camera out due minutes after I buy
    the Casio EX S600.

    It wouldn't be the first time I bought from Costco an aging product that
    nobody really wanted because a successor or competitor was about to release
    a better computer.

    Who is the competition (size wise) for the Casio Casio Exilim Card EX-S600?
    BrendaLee, Jul 1, 2006

  2. BrendaLee

    DFS Guest

    >I am about to buy the Casio Exilim Card EX-S600 at Costco for about $330
    > but before I do, I would like to ask you if that's a good buy (or if
    > something similar is better out there) today?
    >
    > All I'm looking for is a small 5 megapixel or greater camera that takes
    > good pictures. I know that's not much of a requirement but that's really
    > all I want. I'm willing to spend in the $300 range.
    >
    > I fell in love with a nice silver Casio EX S600 at Costco and I am about
    > buy it - but before I do, I'd like to ask you if this is a smart move or
    > if
    > something is better at the same price.
    >
    > I already read the entire (technical) review at
    > http://www.steves-digicams.com/2006_reviews/ex-s600_pg5.html
    > http://www.dpreview.com/news/0510/05102401casio_s600.asp
    >
    > But, these unfortunately don't tell me if there is a better camera for the
    > money or if there will be a successor camera out due minutes after I buy
    > the Casio EX S600.
    >
    > It wouldn't be the first time I bought from Costco an aging product that
    > nobody really wanted because a successor or competitor was about to
    > release
    > a better computer.
    >
    > Who is the competition (size wise) for the Casio Casio Exilim Card
    > EX-S600?

    I bought the EX S500 at Costco last fall, used it for a few months, and
    returned it. It was essentially the same camera as the EX S600 with a 5MP
    sensor instead of 6MP. S600 hasn't been out that long, so a replacement is
    probably at least two weeks away. :eek:)

    All in all, it was a pretty neat little camera, but picture quality was only
    so-so. I doubt that the S-600 will do much better, so if I were inclined to
    reconsider the Casio, I'd look to the S-500 which can be had online now for
    less than $200 instead of the S600. That extra resolution isn't worth the
    $100, in my opinion.

    I'm still on the fence with regard to a replacement. I miss not having a
    camera in my pocket 24/7, but don't need to commit before September. If I
    had to choose today, it would probably be one of the Canon ELPH models,
    probably an SD450 or an SD600. The SD450 is 5MP and the SD600 is 6MP.
    You'll find the SD450 at Costco.com for about $260, or at Buy.com for $243
    right now on one of there weekly specials. Read the reviews on the Canon at
    dpreview.com. I think that they regard it a bit more highly than the Casio.
    By the way, the Canon has an optical viewfinder in addition to the LCD.
    With the Casio, you have only the LCD to compose your shots on.

    The Sony in the same category is pretty slick as well, but reports of
    picture quality aren't reassuring. Neat thing about the Sony is that the
    lens doesn't protrude from the body of the camera while you're using it.
    I'm not sure of the model.

    Hope that this is helpful.

    DS
    DFS, Jul 1, 2006

  3. It is alleged that BrendaLee claimed:

    > I am about to buy the Casio Exilim Card EX-S600 at Costco for about $330
    > but before I do, I would like to ask you if that's a good buy (or if
    > something similar is better out there) today?

    I got an EX-Z500 from Ritz a couple weeks ago. So far, so good. I
    haven't printed any pictures from it yet, but the on-screen quality is
    comparable to my Sony DSC-S85.

    Comparing the Z500 to the S500 on dpreview.com, it looks like the
    differences between the Z and the S is that the S has fewer functions,
    but the image quality should be the same.

    --
    Jeffrey Kaplan www.gordol.org

    "The Superior Person's Book Of Words", by Peter Bowler: ACEREBRAL:
    Without a brain. A word for which there would at first sight appear to
    be of no use, since no entity to which there would be any point in
    applying the term could in fact possess this attribute. (There would be
    no point in speaking of an acerebral windowsill.) However, recent
    researches into the central nervous system of the wire- haired terrier
    have conclusively demonstrated the need for such a word.
    Jeffrey Kaplan, Jul 1, 2006