    whether or not I can upgrade to a 64-bit version of Ultimate with the Anytime
    Upgrade. You know what they say, once you go x64, you never go back...

    Has anyone else run into this?
    Sarahzsmyl, Mar 20, 2008

  2. Sarahzsmyl

    Mark Guest

    The WAU is only a license file.
    By starting this file, Vista will upgrade your current version x86 or x64 to
    the version you purchase.

    In my case, I originally started with Vista Home Premium x86 as an upgrade.
    I then bought Vista Ultimate as a WAU license and did an in-place upgrade
    without any loss of data.

    Later, I decided to go the x64 route, but this is where it gets complicated:
    1. x64 is a clean install the first time around. So, you need to save all
    your data somewhere else.
    2. WAU will only upgrade from the path you purchase.
    So, in my case, to get to Vista Ultimate, I had to clean install to
    Vista Home Premium x64 and activate it.
    Then, use the license file to upgrade to Vista Ultimate x64. (No
    loss of data on this install.)

    It will not work any other way. I've tried.

    WAU requires that the current installed version being upgraded is activated.
    This means you will be making a phone call to activate and will need to
    speak to a person.

    To save yourself the double install later, make a complete backup after
    completing all updates. Then, if ever needed, just restore this "clean"
    install as your starting point. (Much faster than the installs and it will
    already be activated.)

    "Sarahzsmyl" <> wrote in message
    > I have Business x64. I'm seriously thinking about upgrading to Ultimate,

    but

    Mark, Mar 20, 2008

  3. You should be able to do a direct Anytime Upgrade to Vista Ultimate 64-bit
    from your existing Business 64bit without having to re-install.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 20, 2008
  4. Sarahzsmyl

    Mark H Guest

    That is correct.
    But, should you ever have to re-install Vista, you will have to do it twice
    as mentioned in my other post.

    Mark H, Mar 20, 2008
  5. Sarahzsmyl

    Sarahzsmyl Guest

    Thanks for replying. I'm still a little confused.

    I know I can upgrade 64 to 64, but my concern is that there's no longer a
    direct download. If it were, it wouldn't be an issue, it would download the
    64-bit version as that's all that's compatible with my OS. I have to purchase
    the discs. No where in the upgrade does it say whether or not it's 64 vs 32.

    It also says to use the upgrade advisor...that's NOT compatible 64-bit
    versions of windows. I don't want to buy the Business to Ultimate upgrade,
    receive it and not be able to install. Does that make better sense?

    Sarahzsmyl, Mar 20, 2008
  6. There is a 'contact us' link on the AU page. Get confirmation there.

    Colin Barnhorst, Mar 20, 2008
  7. Your Business Edition DVD is the same as an Ultimate Edition DVD.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Mar 20, 2008
  8. Sarahzsmyl

    Mark Guest

    The license file can be downloaded again from your digital locker. Just go
    to Control Panel and enter Digital Locker in the Search box.

    There is not a Vista x64 downloadable OS. You have to have a disk marked
    both x64 (or 64-bit) version and Windows Anytime Upgrade. To get to x64
    Ultimate, you insert the DVD (the same disk that you used for x64 Business)
    and then double-click the downloaded license file . The license key will
    simply load more files when you go through the install process.

    If you don't have an appropriate disk, one can be ordered from MS for $7 to
    $10.

    Mark, Mar 20, 2008