Is the 8MP digital camera just a gimmick?

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by john, Feb 4, 2004.

  1. john

    john Guest

    One notices manufacturers are offering higher megapixel cameras with
    the same size CCD image sensors. Also, the recent Nikon D70 comes with
    a CCD sensor, while most other digital SLRs hav CMOS sensors.

    Has there been any dramatic improvement in CCD image sensor technology
    that allows higher density of pixels without increasing power
    requirement and noise, and compromising picture quality?

    Who makes CCD image sensors? Who makes them best?

    How much does colour array system (CYGM, RGB, et al)make a difference
    in the pixel density/ noise rendition?

    Shall appreciate any informed answers.

    Thanks
    JG

    john, Feb 4, 2004

  2. john

    gsum Guest

    All Nikons have CCDs. The D100 and D70 sensors are made by
    Sony.

    There is a consistent improvement in CCD technology and there is
    a long long long way to go before the limits of the technology are
    reached - consider the pixel density in the retina of your eye.

    Whether ever higher pixel counts is a gimmic depends on what you
    intend to do with the technoloy. To the photographer who only
    wants 10x8 inch prints, 8mp or more is not really necessary but if
    you want to emulate medium format or large format film then the
    technology is essential.

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 4, 2004

  3. john

    DJ Guest

    On Wed, 4 Feb 2004 07:59:22 -0000, "gsum" <> wrote:

    >All Nikons have CCDs. The D100 and D70 sensors are made by
    >Sony.
    >
    >There is a consistent improvement in CCD technology and there is
    >a long long long way to go before the limits of the technology are
    >reached - consider the pixel density in the retina of your eye.
    >
    >Whether ever higher pixel counts is a gimmic depends on what you
    >intend to do with the technoloy. To the photographer who only
    >wants 10x8 inch prints, 8mp or more is not really necessary but if
    >you want to emulate medium format or large format film then the
    >technology is essential.

    BUT at the present state of the art the overall sensor size must be
    commensurately large to get a decent signal to noise level.

    Probably a better rough metric of camera goodness would be the actual sensor
    size in square millimeters. And we can all see that happening, can't we?

    DJ, Feb 4, 2004
  4. john

    gsum Guest

    Agreed, the larger the sensor, the better. That will always be true but
    todays chips do perform better than those of a few years ago.

    Graham

    gsum, Feb 4, 2004