    okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    super powerful flash. TIA.
    Jeff
    jeff liss, Sep 23, 2003

  2. jeff liss

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on 22 Sep 2003 20:26:04 -0700, in this august forum,
    (jeff liss) said:

    >I'm shopping around for a flash for my 10D. The 420EX is in my price
    >range, but the 550EX obviously is more bang for the extra bucks
    >(power-wise and versatility-wise). My question is simple, is the 420EX
    >okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    >super powerful flash. TIA.

    It should be fine. On Sat, I was chatting with a guy who had one on his
    10D, & was using it on the night.

    Lionel, Sep 23, 2003

  3. jeff liss

    Vince_Z Guest

    "jeff liss" <> wrote in message
    > I'm shopping around for a flash for my 10D. The 420EX is in my price
    > range, but the 550EX obviously is more bang for the extra bucks
    > (power-wise and versatility-wise). My question is simple, is the 420EX
    > okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    > super powerful flash. TIA.
    > Jeff

    Yes! I had to upgrade to the 420EX from my old Vivitar 840AF (TTL) since
    the Canon DSLRs only do E-TTL. The 420EX works great.
    Vince_Z, Sep 23, 2003
  4. jeff liss

    redbears Guest

    "Lionel" <> wrote in message
    > Word has it that on 22 Sep 2003 20:26:04 -0700, in this august forum,
    > (jeff liss) said:
    >
    > >I'm shopping around for a flash for my 10D. The 420EX is in my price
    > >range, but the 550EX obviously is more bang for the extra bucks
    > >(power-wise and versatility-wise). My question is simple, is the 420EX
    > >okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    > >super powerful flash. TIA.

    > It should be fine. On Sat, I was chatting with a guy who had one on his
    > 10D, & was using it on the night.

    Yeah, that was me.

    The 420EX flash works great with the 10D, and thanks to
    Lionel I have a better idea how to make the best use of it!

    rb
    redbears, Sep 23, 2003
  5. jeff liss

    Lionel Guest

    Word has it that on Tue, 23 Sep 2003 17:59:29 +1000, in this august
    forum, "redbears" <> said:

    >"Lionel" <> wrote in message
    >> Word has it that on 22 Sep 2003 20:26:04 -0700, in this august forum,
    >> (jeff liss) said:
    >>
    >> >I'm shopping around for a flash for my 10D. The 420EX is in my price
    >> >range, but the 550EX obviously is more bang for the extra bucks
    >> >(power-wise and versatility-wise). My question is simple, is the 420EX
    >> >okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    >> >super powerful flash. TIA.

    >> It should be fine. On Sat, I was chatting with a guy who had one on his
    >> 10D, & was using it on the night.
    >>
    >> --
    >> . | ,. w , "Some people are alive only because
    >> \|/ \|/ it is illegal to kill them." Perna condita delenda est
    >> ---^----^---------------------------------------------------------------

    >Yeah, that was me.

    There are other Melbournites reading this newsgroup? Nice one! ;)

    >The 420EX flash works great with the 10D, and thanks to
    >Lionel I have a better idea how to make the best use of it!

    I'm glad I could help. I've spent a long time working out how to get
    good images at that venue, so it was nice to be able to pass on some of
    the stuff I've learned the hard way. What kind of results did you get on
    the night?

    PS: You can see some of my work at the same venue, (under the more usual
    lighting), at my website: <http://lo.ve.ly/clubs/BlueVelvet/2003-07-26/>

    Lionel, Sep 23, 2003
  6. jeff liss

    redbears Guest

    > >Yeah, that was me.
    >
    > There are other Melbournites reading this newsgroup? Nice one! ;)
    >
    > >The 420EX flash works great with the 10D, and thanks to
    > >Lionel I have a better idea how to make the best use of it!

    > I'm glad I could help. I've spent a long time working out how to get
    > good images at that venue, so it was nice to be able to pass on some of
    > the stuff I've learned the hard way. What kind of results did you get on
    > the night?
    >
    > PS: You can see some of my work at the same venue, (under the more usual
    > lighting), at my website: <http://lo.ve.ly/clubs/BlueVelvet/2003-07-26/>

    Some good, some bad, some very interesting. I think the my friend will be
    very happy with the result.

    Some nice shots on your web page, some very familiar faces too! Have to
    book mark that one!
    redbears, Sep 23, 2003
  7. jeff liss

    Ken Alverson Guest

    "jeff liss" <> wrote in message
    > I'm shopping around for a flash for my 10D. The 420EX is in my price
    > range, but the 550EX obviously is more bang for the extra bucks
    > (power-wise and versatility-wise). My question is simple, is the 420EX
    > okay to use with a 10D? I don't use flash very often so I don't need a
    > super powerful flash. TIA.

    The 420EX is great. The vast majority of people won't use the features the
    550EX gives them above the 420EX, and those that will probably have more than
    one flash, meaning if you get the 420EX first it can act as a slave.

    Unless you /really/ need the power or really need fully manual flash control,
    the 420EX should serve you just fine, and it's a significantly more portable.

    What you don't want to do is get the 220EX, because it can't be aimed, which
    makes it impossible* to do bounce flash.

    Ken

    * Well, you can rig up some index cards or whatnot, but the effectiveness is
    reduced, and it looks kind of hokey.
    Ken Alverson, Sep 23, 2003
  8. jeff liss

    Lisa Horton Guest

    The 420EX is an ideal complement to the 10D. The increase in power with
    the 550EX is actually small, so the main difference is in
    functionality. But most people won't use the extra functionality. Save
    the money, size and weight and go with the 420EX.

    Lisa

    Lisa Horton, Sep 23, 2003
  9. jeff liss

    Guest

    With the 420EX can you use a dummy slave like the MS-1 or does the
    preflash throw it off?
    , Dec 25, 2004
  10. jeff liss

    stanb Guest

    you can fire a slave off a 420, but you must manually fire the preflash
    (with FEL) and allow the strobe to recharge...

    stanb, Dec 25, 2004