Is That A Letter...A Letter For Me?

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by peterg@uti.com, Dec 9, 2006.

  1. Guest

    I have two computers, my Linux box and my Windows box, hooked together
    with a KVM switch. I simply started using the Linux box, and it
    occured to me that I haven't switched on the Winbox in a looooooooong
    time. I mean, a really long time. Like maybe a year or something.

    On the Win box, I had been using Netscape 7.1 for web browsing and
    e-mail. There are a couple of pen pals I haven't heard from in a
    while, so I thought I would fire it up, get their e-mail addresses, and
    write to them from my Linux box.

    When I tried to start up Netscape, however, it took me to the New
    Account creation wizard. It seems to have forgotten everything, from
    who I am to the messages themselves.

    I went and got a copy of Search And Recover, but it seems the messages
    in question aren't officially deleted, so there is nothing it can do (I
    was using the Mail Recovery tool, it doesn't seem to have any other
    options in this regard). Looking in the file system, I can see
    everything there in a POP3 mail folder under Windows/Application Data.
    Opening certain files under Netscape triggers a string of messages
    (attachments are just dumped data instead of appearing as a pic). In
    theory, everything is still there, I just need a program that will open
    it so I can get to the messages. However, I'm worried that if I use
    the new account creation wizard, it might delete the data I'm trying to
    get to.

    Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Can I trick Netscape into
    seeing the data again? If I have to create the account, how do I do it
    so that the profile matches that assigned to the data? Or should I use
    another e-mail program like MS Outlook and import the data that way
    (Netscape was the only e-mail program configured on the machine)? Any
    help will be appreciated.

    -- Pete Holland Jr.

    , Dec 9, 2006

  2. Guest

    wrote:

    >I have two computers, my Linux box and my Windows box, hooked together
    >with a KVM switch. I simply started using the Linux box, and it
    >occured to me that I haven't switched on the Winbox in a looooooooong
    >time. I mean, a really long time. Like maybe a year or something.
    >
    >On the Win box, I had been using Netscape 7.1 for web browsing and
    >e-mail. There are a couple of pen pals I haven't heard from in a
    >while, so I thought I would fire it up, get their e-mail addresses, and
    >write to them from my Linux box.
    >
    >When I tried to start up Netscape, however, it took me to the New
    >Account creation wizard. It seems to have forgotten everything, from
    >who I am to the messages themselves.
    >
    >I went and got a copy of Search And Recover, but it seems the messages
    >in question aren't officially deleted, so there is nothing it can do (I
    >was using the Mail Recovery tool, it doesn't seem to have any other
    >options in this regard). Looking in the file system, I can see
    >everything there in a POP3 mail folder under Windows/Application Data.
    >Opening certain files under Netscape triggers a string of messages
    >(attachments are just dumped data instead of appearing as a pic). In
    >theory, everything is still there, I just need a program that will open
    >it so I can get to the messages. However, I'm worried that if I use
    >the new account creation wizard, it might delete the data I'm trying to
    >get to.
    >
    >Does anyone have any idea what I can do? Can I trick Netscape into
    >seeing the data again? If I have to create the account, how do I do it
    >so that the profile matches that assigned to the data? Or should I use
    >another e-mail program like MS Outlook and import the data that way
    >(Netscape was the only e-mail program configured on the machine)? Any
    >help will be appreciated.
    >
    >-- Pete Holland Jr.

    Copy your old stuff someplace else

    With Netscape what I would do was create an identical account.

    Then rename the account that was created, and copy my old account into
    Netscape.

    Always work'd for me.

    --
    1963 McDonalds Commercial Introducing Ronald McDonald
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViglRhgD_K4

    , Dec 9, 2006

  3. wrote:

    > I have two computers, my Linux box and my Windows box, hooked together
    > with a KVM switch. I simply started using the Linux box, and it
    > occured to me that I haven't switched on the Winbox in a looooooooong
    > time. I mean, a really long time. Like maybe a year or something.
    >
    > On the Win box, I had been using Netscape 7.1 for web browsing and
    > e-mail. There are a couple of pen pals I haven't heard from in a
    > while, so I thought I would fire it up, get their e-mail addresses, and
    > write to them from my Linux box.
    >
    > When I tried to start up Netscape, however, it took me to the New
    > Account creation wizard. It seems to have forgotten everything, from
    > who I am to the messages themselves.

    You may install thunderbird, hopefully it recognizes the netscape mail
    folder and offers to import it. When done, move the thunderbird data over
    to your linux box and try thunderbird mail there.

    Walter Mautner, Dec 9, 2006
  4. Guest

    First up, a thank you for the responses. But I'm guessing this is a
    little trickier than anyone expected.

    If I may, let me describe what has happened so far:

    First up, before I forget, the machine is a custom job running Windows
    ME. I know, I know.... ;-)

    Started up the machine, renamed all the files and folders in the folder
    with the e-mail address (it's the POP3 server it used) and copied them
    to the D drive. Everything starts with the letters "old", no space, so
    they are all easy to spot there. Also figured that I wouldn't be able
    to just drag and drop files within the Netscape folder without Windows
    complaining about illegal operations or sharing violations.

    So, messages are safely esconed on my D drive, I set to work. Since
    launching the mail program makes it call up the new account wizard (it
    says there are no other accounts available), I start there. I create a
    new profile. I close out Netscape and go in under Explorer. I find
    two folders under application data. I copy the "old" stuff from the
    one and put it under the new folder. No complaints from the OS.

    I start Netscape, and the first thing it does is says there are no
    profiles, would I like to create one? It literally forgot the profile
    I had just created two minutes earlier. Tried again. Three folders in
    there now. Moved everything to the newest one. Shut down Netscape,
    restart machine. It says there are no profiles, would I like to create
    one? I go to my archives on my C and D drives to try reinstalling
    Netscape. Both of them refuse to finish unless I go online so it can
    download stuff (the file is 29M! How much more does it need to
    download?!?). I empty a full round of Nerf darts at the tower.

    Figuring that Netscape is based on Mozilla, I decide to try
    Thunderbird. One of the things I love about Firefox/Thunderbird is you
    download the whole thing, burn it to a disc, and it will install from
    that, none of this "Must connect to finish installation" stuff. Get
    Thunderbird and toss it on my thumb drive. Plug thumb drive into ME
    box, and it hangs. Hasn't done that before. Restart it with the thumb
    drive plugged in during boot, works no problem.

    Install Thunderbird, goes smooth, God bless Open Source. Find the
    Application Data folder, try to copy the "old" files and folders into
    it. No dice, it doesn't see them. (Unlike Netscape, Thunderbird
    remembers everything after it shuts down, so I haven't had to do the
    "create profile" thing since.) Thunderbird has an option to import
    e-mail from Communicator 4.X (which I'm not sure if I installed it and
    deleted it or if I never installed it on that machine in the first
    place), Outlook, Outlook Express, and Eudora (none of those three is on
    the machine). I tried Communicator, and it said there were no
    identities to import from.

    So, at this point, here's the questions occuring to me:

    1) Does the profile I create have to match the original profile for
    the old messages exactly for this to work?

    2) Assuming it does, is there a way to find out what exactly I had
    entered for the profile information (in a message header or something)
    so I can duplicate it?

    3) I still have a copy of Netscape 4.0 floating around here. Can that
    be factored into this?

    4) Is there a way to refresh Netscape 7.1, and can it be done without
    going online?

    5) Are there any programs that can read the individual messages, or
    should I just figure the attachments are beyond reach and let them go,
    just being content with the message text that I can read? Or could I,
    say, copy and paste the data dump into a text editor, save with the
    appropriate extention, and then view the pics under a regular image
    viewer?

    Sorry to pile on so many questions.

    -- Pete Holland Jr.

    , Dec 10, 2006
  5. Guest

    , Dec 10, 2006
  6. wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >>4) Is there a way to refresh Netscape 7.1, and can it be done without
    >>going online?

    > Gotta go online to get it...
    > http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=Netscape

    Forget that, netscape4.x cannot import ns7.x files.
    You have no "import ..." facility in your thunderbird apart that one you get
    on setup?

    Walter Mautner, Dec 10, 2006
  7. Gordon Guest

    Walter Mautner wrote:

    > wrote:
    >
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>4) Is there a way to refresh Netscape 7.1, and can it be done without
    >>>going online?

    >> Gotta go online to get it...
    >> http://www.oldversion.com/program.php?n=Netscape
    >>

    > Forget that, netscape4.x cannot import ns7.x files.

    No, but just copy the NS7 mail files (withOUT the extension) into the NS4
    mail profile.....

    --
    Registered Linux User no 240308
    Opensuse 10.1